Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope

Barchester Towers (1857)

by Anthony Trollope

Series: The Barsetshire Chronicles (2)

3,754872,065 (4.16)5 / 646
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (starbox)
    Canon in Residence by Victor L. Whitechurch (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: More scheming, gossip and social justice in the Cathedral Close.
    Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym (chrisharpe)
    The Perpetual Curate by Margaret Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Oliphant's carlingford chronicles are an equivalent series to the barchester books; victorian sagas of social manouevering and parish politics. If you enjoy barsetshire, they are well worth trying. Perpetual is about high anglicanism vs lower church and like trollope spreads sympathy across opposed characters.… (more)

English (85)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (87)
I will be 100% honest. I couldn't get into Barchester Towers despite the fact it's supposed to be Trollope's most popular novel and many organizations have it on their "Top 1000 books to read." Yes, it is satirical and it has it humorous parts. I just couldn't get into any of the characters. I suspect my lack of enthusiasm centers around the fact the novel is focused on religion and the war between the high and low churches. The bishop has died and a new one needs to be appointed. There's a lot of infighting about how that will be resolved.
The best element of Barchester Towers is the return of Septimus Harding. His daughter, Eleanor, is now a widow and eligible to remarry. The second best character was Mr. Stanhope, a member of the clergy. He has been in Italy for twelve years "recovering" from a sore throat and catching butterflies. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jun 7, 2019 |
Dr. Proudie gains the bishopric attached to Barchester’s cathedral when the incumbent bishop dies, raising his horrible wife to a position of power as soon as he accepts the appointment. When Mrs. Proudie’s protégé, the loathsome hypocrite Obadiah Slope, becomes the Bishop’s new chaplain, the denizens of Barchester consider it a call to battle. The second novel in the enduringly popular “Chronicles of Barsetshire” series, “Barchester Towers” satirizes church politics in 1850’s England. (Amazon.com)
  staylorlib | Jun 3, 2019 |
Another delightful Victorian romp. A feud over a church appointment, a love story muddled by repressed emotions and silly misunderstandings and it all turns out nice in the end. Fantastic. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
As amusing as it was to read, The Warden was a straight-faced prelude to this extravagant romp through the parlors of the Anglican gentry. One should read the two together as the question of Hiram's Hospital and the wardenship are prime concerns in the greater game being played for control of the diocese of Barchester. It is debatable how much I can 'spoil' an almost 158 year old novel, but consider yourself warned.

The benevolent archbishop has passed on after a change in government, leaving his son, Archdeacon Grantly, disappointed in his hopes for the chair. The new appointee Dr. Proudie is steered by his domineering wife and his ambitious chaplain Mr. Slope and they have great plans for change within and without the cathedral walls. They are even before taking residence at odds with the conservative resident clergy lead by Archdeacon Grantley and the recruitment of Mr. Arabin from Oxford.

In the two years since the end of The Warden, Trollope has impatiently dismissed erstwhile reformer Mr. John Bold to the grave. His pretty young widow Eleanor is left with a child and a modest fortune. She is the sister-in-law to the Archdeacon, but circumstances lead her to be a trifle sympathetic to the obsequious Mr. Slope which leads to all sorts of calumny.

For there are circles within circles in this close community. Not only do multiple suitors vie for the hand of Mrs. Bold--unbeknownst to her; Chaplain and wife fight for control over the bishop; after 12 years in Italy, Dr. Stanhope and is summoned back to his parish with his odd family; the Quiverfulls have 12 children living and small means to care for them; and Miss Thorne wants to hold a lawn party. Trollope juggles the actions of his characters skillfully and sympathetically as each sets out to obtain their ends.

The main conflict of this novel is the clash between the high church and the evangelicals as genteel, but lax, traditions go head to head with orthodoxy. This is a novel of manners and broad comedy, verging on slapstick at times, but still a convincing portrait of a society. The humor never leaves behind the potential reality of each character's situation and the fairness of their author makes every one of them, yes, even the Signora Neroni, compelling character studies providing insight for the reader into the actions of the people contemporary readers encounter in their own lives.

I continue my travels through Barchester in Doctor Thorne. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Trollope took a while to build up the story but this only makes the climax more delightful and wicked. I consider the party at the Thornes the climax, where Eleanor Bold rejects both her suitors with Mr. Arabin watching on helplessly. The slap that Eleanor gave the presumptuous Slope must be the most resounding in literature while you cannot dislike Bertie and Madeline Stanhope. The story would have been more satisfactory if Mrs. Produie and Slope were brought down to earth but I suppose we cannot be so greedy. The character I like best is Mr. Harding. He is meek but he doesn't crave after things and knows when to step back. He is also not presumptuous like so many characters in the story. ( )
  siok | Feb 17, 2019 |

Sutherland, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tillotson,KathleenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the latter days of July in the year 185--, a most important question was for ten days hourly asked in the cathedral city of Barchester, and answered every hour in various ways -- Who was to be the new Bishop?
The outer world, though it constantly reviles us for our human infirmities and throws in our teeth the fact that being clergymen we are still no more than men, demands of us that we should do our work with godlike perfection. There is nothing god-like about us: we differ from each other with the acerbity common to man; we triumph over each other with human frailty; we allow differences on subjects of divine origin to produce among us antipathies and enmities which are anything but divine. This is all true. But what would you have in place of it? There is no infallible head for a church on earth.
It was dreadful to be thus dissevered from his dryad, and sent howling back to a Barchester pandemonium just as the nectar and ambrosia were about to descend on the fields of asphodel.

blurb: Barchester Towers is Trollope’s most popular novel and one of the classics of English fiction. It is the second of the six Chronicles of Barsetshire, which follow the intrigues of ambition and love in the cathedral town of Barchester. Trollope was of course interested in the church, that pillar of Victorian society - in its susceptibility to corruption, hypocrisy, and blinkered conservatism - but the Barsetshire novels are no more ‘ecclesiastical’ than his Palliser novels are political. It is the behavior of individuals within a power structure that interests him. In Barchester Towers Trollope continues the story of Mr. Harding and his daughter Eleanor, adding to his cast of characters that oily symbol of progress Mr. Slope, the hen pecked Dr. Proudie, and the amiable and breezy Stanhope family. The central questions of this moral comedy - Who will be warden? Who will be dean? Who will marry Eleanor? - are skillfully handled with that subtlety of ironic observation that has won Trollope such a wide and appreciative relationship.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140432035, Paperback)

This 1857 sequel to The Warden wryly chronicles the struggle for control of the English diocese of Barchester. The evangelical but not particularly competent new bishop is Dr. Proudie, who with his awful wife and oily curate, Slope, maneuver for power. The Warden and Barchester Towers are part of Trollope's Barsetshire series, in which some of the same characters recur.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

After the death of old Dr. Grantly, a bitter struggle begins over who will succeed him as Bishop of Barchester. And when the decision is finally made to appoint the evangelical Dr. Proudie, rather than the son of the old bishop, Archdeacon Grantly, resentment and suspicion threaten to cause deep divisions within the diocese. Trollope's masterly depiction of the plotting and back-stabbing that ensues lies at the heart of one of the most vivid and comic of his Barsetshire novels, peopled by such very different figures as the saintly Warden of Hiram's Hospital, Septimus Harding, the ineffectual but well-meaning new bishop and his terrifying wife, and the oily chaplain Mr. Slope who has designs on Mr. Harding's daughter.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140432035, 0141199113

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,509,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible