Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and…

Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Anne Lamott (Author)

Member:SylviaCelesteH
Title:Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair
Authors:Anne Lamott (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2013), Edition: 1st, 112 pages

Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair by Anne Lamott (2013)

Thanks to Amazon's new Prime Audible content, I was able to enjoy this book again - though I can't find when I read it before - I certainly recognized the stories, and they're worth reading again.

Lamott reflects on life, how we find meaning and how, thanks to the stitches we use to hold things together, find a good life. ( )
  mrklingon | Apr 22, 2019 |
What do we do when life lurches out of balance? How can we reconnect to one other and to what’s sustaining, when evil and catastrophe seem inescapable?

These questions lie at the heart of Stitches, Lamott’s profound follow-up to her New York Times–bestselling Help, Thanks, Wow. In this book Lamott explores how we find meaning and peace in these loud and frantic times; where we start again after personal and public devastation; how we recapture wholeness after loss; and how we locate our true identities in this frazzled age. We begin, Lamott says, by collecting the ripped shreds of our emotional and spiritual fabric and sewing them back together, one stitch at a time.

It’s in these stitches that the quilt of life begins, and embedded in them are strength, warmth, humor, and humanity. ( )
  jepeters333 | Oct 4, 2018 |
This book is exactly what it purports to be, a small handbook full of grace, wisdom, and humble honesty. Each sentence cries out to be savored and there is much to meditate upon. ( )
  Juva | Nov 7, 2017 |
Anne Lamott does it again. This is such a powerful book packed in such a tiny package. This is a great book for anyone who wonders about life and living. ( )
  Jewel.Barnett | Sep 6, 2017 |
2.5, rounding up to 3

A slim inspirational book with Anne's trademark wit and wisdom but once again, the meanderings and flight of ideas made it a less than satisfying read. This is the second book by Lamott that has been a disappointment, although in all fairness, Traveling Mercies is a hard act to follow.

janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
As the random shooting of schoolchildren, car bombs, disease, and sadness threaten to shatter our inner compasses and our hearts, Lamott reminds us that “hope is a conversation.” What allows us to continue, and occasionally glimpse a momentary goodness, she writes, is “attention, creation, love, and dessert.”

I don't know Who—or what—put the question, I don't know when it was put.I don't even remember answering. But at some moment I did answer Yes to Someone—or Something—and from that hour I was certain that existence is meaningful and that, therefore, my life, in self-surrender, had a goal.
—Dag Hammarskjold, Markings
This is dedicated to Neshama Franklin.
It can be too sad here.

Lamott explores how we find meaning and peace when life lurches out of balance; where we start again after personal and public devastation; how we recapture wholeness after loss; and how we locate our true identities in this frazzled age. We begin, Lamott says, by collecting the ripped shreds of our emotional and spiritual fabric and sewing them back together, one stitch at a time.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Lamott's book Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,390,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible