Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

All Change by Elizabeth Jane Howard

All Change (2013)

by Elizabeth Jane Howard

Series: Cazalet Chronicles (5)

English (8)  Italian (2)  All languages (10)
sad to be at the end. too many characters I think. ( )
  mahallett | Mar 31, 2019 |
Heerlijk, nog een vijfde deel ontdekt. Dit deel begint 7 jaar na deel 4. De Cazalets gaan failliet. Maar het belangrijkste is eigenlijk het verhaal van Rachel en Sid. Uiteindelijk sterft Sid aan kanker en Rachel blijft alleen achter. Zo prachtig en ontroerend beschreven! Weer genieten, dit vijfde deel en heel jammer om definitief afscheid te moeten nemen van de familie. ( )
  elsmvst | Aug 18, 2018 |
The final Cazalet chronicle
By sally tarbox on 18 March 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
The fifth and final of the Cazalet chronicles, all of which I have read and enjoyed over past few weeks. You totally get into the personalities, with their problems and flaws, and want to find out what happens next.
This volume takes up the story some ten years on, from 1956-58. The children we left are now adults, the newly-weds now have families of their own, while the older characters are entering old age and its difficulties.. Meanwhile the business which once gave them such a privileged lifestyle is failing...
I didn't think this was QUITE as well-written as previous volumes, a bit 'chick-litty' at times. Nonetheless, a must-read if you've got this far, and very enjoyable. ( )
  starbox | Mar 17, 2018 |
The fifth and last of the [Cazelet Chronicles], it seemed a bit choppy and superficial at first, but I was also reading it in choppy little bits which didn't help. I waited for the opportunity to read most of it in a few long sittings, and even though it ends on a somber note and I had a lump in my throat for the final one hundred pages, I think Howard did fine with this last volume. Book Four, like a fairy tale, ended on a very happy note all around, except for one or two characters everyone was settled romatically or practically-speaking and was more or less thriving, although, it is true there were storm clouds lurking on the horizon. I see now that Howard had a larger arc in mind, a harder, tougher arc that includes real failures, real endings, the not-a-fairy-tale ending of literature. All along, while reading I kept thinking of other writers from Angela Thirkell (at the lighter end) to Mary Wesley and Penelope Fitzgerald (at the darker end, and many many in-between, say, Barbara Pym.) Howard manages an orchestral piece (music plays a large part in the book--the Cazelets are anything but ordinary; they are attractive and talented if flawed in all the usual ways) that can go from light to dark in a matter of pages. In the four previous novels I don't think Howard reaches quite as deeply, except perhaps with the death of the Duchy, the grandmother, and Rupert's difficulties and that is where the choppiness arises. She is describing upheaval of the kind that can break a family apart definitively and it is dark stuff so that when the children are being funny in this volume it can be a little hard to make the shift. And yet, that is exactly how life is. One character mulls how you can be with a small child, playing along with them, and still frantically worried about an adult matter of huge importance. It's not as comfortable a read as the previous books, but I think it lifts the whole Chronicle up a level. Yet one could also argue that this last book does not fit so well with the mood of the previous four. It isn't quite as well edited or fleshed out, but overall it is remarkable how Howard takes leave of almost every character in a satisfactory, realistic way. **** for Book 5 and ****1/2 for the whole. ( )
3 vote sibyx | Mar 12, 2016 |
2013, Pan MacMillan Publishers, Read by Penelope Wilton

Book Description: adapted from Amazon.ca
It is the 1950s and as the Duchy, the Cazalets' beloved matriarch, dies, she takes with her the last remnants of a disappearing world – of houses with servants, of class and tradition – in which the Cazalets have thrived. Louise, now divorced, becomes entangled in a painful affair; while Polly and Clary must balance marriage and motherhood with their own ideas and ambitions. Hugh and Edward, now in their sixties, are feeling ill-equipped for this modern world; while Villy, long abandoned by her husband, must at last learn to live independently. But it is Rachel, who has always lived for others, who will face her greatest challenges yet. Events converge at Christmas; as a new generation of Cazalets descend on Home Place. Only one thing is certain: nothing will ever be the same again.

My Review:
I’ve listened adoringly to the Cazalet Chronicles one after the next, and the old cliché is true here that Howard saved the best for the last. There is a sadness to the tone here, or perhaps tribute is a better word: a tribute to days and times gone by – and a reminiscence that, as well as the lean years of war, there were many good times.

Over the span of the chronicles, I’ve loved observing the characters grow into adolescence, adulthood, and, in the case of the three Cazalet brothers, into their senior years. Clary and Archie have difficulty in All Change: human, relatable difficulty which challenges their marriage, if not their love. Polly and Gerald are a joy to behold. And, surprise me!: Edward, who for most of the series behaved so abominably that I disliked him intensely, has come to look rather pitiful, and I found myself sorry for him and for the poor choices he’d made. For Hugh and Jemima, I wanted to stand up and cheer! And little Georgie, along with his pet rat Rivers, I won’t ever forget.

Howard’s Cazalet Chronicles are most highly recommended, and All Change is my favourite of the five. I listened to the series on audiobook and would be remiss not to mention that narrators Jill Balcon and Penelope Wilton are sublime! The last Christmas at Home Place is so beautifully written that I wanted to crawl into the pages and share in the family’s joy, sadness, humour, and hope:

“Snow fell in the night, large flakes as big as feathers. And after a while, it began to settle. The bare trees became heavy with it. It thickened on the ground so that it became like the icing on a cake, then a satisfactory three inches of dazzling crunch. Spiders’ webs sparked with icicles, the sky was the colour of dirty pearls, and the air smelled of snow.” ( )
3 vote lit_chick | Nov 8, 2015 |

Elizabeth Jane Howardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilton, PenelopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Hilary and Gerald
"Not long now."

It is the 1950s and as the Duchy, the Cazalets' beloved matriarch, dies, she takes with her the last remnants of a disappearing world - of houses with servants, of class and tradition - in which the Cazalets have thrived.

Louise, now divorced becomes entangled in a painful affair; while Polly and Clary must balance marriage and motherhood with their own ideas and ambitions. Hugh and Edward, now in their sixties, are feeling ill-equipped for this modern world; while Villy, long abandoned by her husband, must at last learn to live independently. But it is Rachel, who has always lived for others, who will face her greatest challenges yet...

Events converge at Christmas; as a new generation of Cazalets descend on Home pLace. Only one thing is certain: nothing will ever be the same again...

It is the 1950s and as the Duchy, the Cazalets' beloved matriarch, dies, she takes with her the last remnants of a disappearing world -- of houses with servants, of class and tradition -- in which the Cazalets have thrived. Louise, now divorced, becomes entangled in a painful affair; while Polly and Clary must balance marriage and motherhood with their own ideas and ambitions. Hugh and Edward, now in their sixties, are feeling ill-equipped for this modern world; while Villy, long abandoned by her husband, must at last learn to live independently. But it is Rachel, who has always lived for others, who will face her greatest challenges yet ...Events converge at Christmas; as a new generation of Cazalets descend on Home Place. Only one thing is certain: nothing will ever be the same again. 'Elizabeth Jane Howard is one of those novelists who shows, through her work, what the novel is for ...She helps us to do the necessary thing -- open our eyes and our hearts' Hilary Mantel

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

It is the 1950s and as the Cazalets' beloved matriarch, the Duchy, passes away, she takes with her the last remnants of a world, of great houses and servants, of class and tradition, in which the Cazalets have thrived. Louise, now divorced, becomes entangled in a painful affair; while Polly and Clary must balance marriage and motherhood with their own ideas and ambitions. Hugh and Edward, now in their sixties, are feeling ill-equipped for this modern world; while Villy, long abandoned by her husband, must at last learn to live independently. But it is Rachel, who has always lived for others, who will face her greatest challenges yet. Events will converge at Christmas at Home Place; on which a new generation of Cazalets will descend. Only one thing is certain, nothing will ever be the same again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,525,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible