The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey

The Girl With All The Gifts (edition 2014)

by M. R. Carey

Info:Orbit (2014), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2014 challenge

The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

English (193)  German (1)  All (194)
This wasn't what I was expecting. I suppose when I saw that the book started with children in cells I thought this would be a book about kids in a dystopia world being repressed. Those can be good stories but they can also be extremely depressing and sometimes off-putting. Then I heard that this story revolved around zombies and I became intrigued. That, on top of everyone's high recommendations convinced me I needed to read this. I did enjoy it a lot. The ending however, was my favorite. What a twist. And yet, not really when you think of it. It's a kind of horrific story when you think about it in the context of reality. Carey does a good job of making this reality plausible. I'll second everyone's suggestions and recommend this book to those of you who haven't read it yet. Even if you don't like zombies, it's worth a read. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Mar 18, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book, this was not the typical zombie book. When I first picked it up, I didn't even know that it was a zombie book. I loved it. I loved the imagery of walking in London. Ultimately the book comes down to what makes us human? ( )
  jenljbear | Mar 9, 2017 |
A z-apocalypse thriller that pretty much pegged my suspense meter. ( )
  wandaly | Feb 28, 2017 |
Review for The Girl with all the Gifts by M R Carey

What an amazing book. I’ve read an awful lot of apocalyptic and dystopian fiction lately but this stands out as something completely original and unique. Melanie is a very special girl living with other special children in an underground bunker. They look like normal children and go to school like other children so why are all the adults scared of them?
I loved the premise of this novel and the way that the reader learns what’s going on alongside Melanie. I’m not a scientist by any means but all the scientific explanation sounded completely believable and plausible to me and meant that the circumstances that society had found itself in were not only realistic but also very different from the usual deadly virus/vampire/zombie scenario. It was also refreshing that the action takes place a generation after the original destruction of civilisation, some of the soldiers guarding the children can’t remember life being any different for example.
The book also plays with the reader’s loyalty. I found Caldwell a deeply unpleasant character but found myself thinking she had a point at certain moments and at the same time feeling Justineau was sometimes a little naïve. However it was the character of Melanie that stole the story for me. A strange mix of little girl and warrior. Reading picture books one minute and saving the adults the next she is a fantastic character and as a reader I can see why Justineau defended her the way she did.
I don’t normally comment on the end of books because I hate to spoil other’s enjoyment but I suffice to say I thought it was genius. 10% from the end (sorry kindle edition) I still had no clue where the story was going and then I was blown away by something I had never expected. It was a distinctive read from start to finish and, unusually for me, I would love to see the film.
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
The end of the zombie apocalypse does not end the way you thought ( )
  SA_Jane | Feb 18, 2017 |

M. R. Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spilling, DuncanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, FintyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

For Lin, who opened the box
Her name is Melanie.

Not every gift is a blessing. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh. Melanie is a very special girl. Emotionally charged and gripping from beginning to end, The girl with all the gifts is the most powerful and affecting thriller you will read this year.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible