The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey

The Girl With All The Gifts (edition 2014)

by M. R. Carey

Info:Orbit (2014), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2014 challenge

The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

English (195)  German (1)  All (196)
Cross Justin Cronin’s The Passage with William Golding’s Lord Of The Flies perhaps; see a broken world through the eyes of a broken child; see the future through eyes of the past’s mistakes, and you’ll have something close to M. R. Carey’s The Girl With All The Gifts. It’s a horror story filled with human flaws and purity of heart. Its characters are so achingly real you wonder if you would shoot them or run with them. Good guys, bad guys, innocents and guilty are all here, and a story of the world revolves around the story of a child.

Carey’s novel is filled with detail and humanity. It never plays for a guilt trip; just offers a view of what might be, and of choices too cruel to contemplate, then invites the reader into the characters' lives. How many can be sacrificed to save the many? How few should be sacrificed to save the human soul? And how can humanity survive an extinction event?

Pandora’s box contained good as well as evil, and this quest for the release of good in evil times is a beautiful tale of heart, soul and human decency. It’s gory. It’s scary. It’s haunting. And it’s hauntingly wonderful.

Disclosure: I borrowed it from my son. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Apr 25, 2017 |
A great angle to a zombie story! Violent, but not too much. A good ending too, will definitely add Carey to my list of authors to follow. ( )
  Iira | Mar 30, 2017 |
This wasn't what I was expecting. I suppose when I saw that the book started with children in cells I thought this would be a book about kids in a dystopia world being repressed. Those can be good stories but they can also be extremely depressing and sometimes off-putting. Then I heard that this story revolved around zombies and I became intrigued. That, on top of everyone's high recommendations convinced me I needed to read this. I did enjoy it a lot. The ending however, was my favorite. What a twist. And yet, not really when you think of it. It's a kind of horrific story when you think about it in the context of reality. Carey does a good job of making this reality plausible. I'll second everyone's suggestions and recommend this book to those of you who haven't read it yet. Even if you don't like zombies, it's worth a read. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Mar 18, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book, this was not the typical zombie book. When I first picked it up, I didn't even know that it was a zombie book. I loved it. I loved the imagery of walking in London. Ultimately the book comes down to what makes us human? ( )
  jenljbear | Mar 9, 2017 |
A z-apocalypse thriller that pretty much pegged my suspense meter. ( )
  wandaly | Feb 28, 2017 |

M. R. Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spilling, DuncanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, FintyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

For Lin, who opened the box
Her name is Melanie.

Not every gift is a blessing. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh. Melanie is a very special girl. Emotionally charged and gripping from beginning to end, The girl with all the gifts is the most powerful and affecting thriller you will read this year.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,836,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible