dismiss

Kabu Kabu by Nnedi Okorafor

Kabu Kabu

by Nnedi Okorafor

Other authors: Alan Dean Foster (Contributor), Whoopi Goldberg (Foreword)

195698,167 (4.15)6
Kabu kabu--unregistered illegal Nigerian taxis--generally get youwhere you need to go. Nnedi Okorafor's Kabu Kabu, however, takesthe reader to exciting, fantastic, magical, occasionally dangerous, and alwaysimaginative locat

A lot of hits and a few misses here for me. The first story, "The Magical Negro", is only 3 pages long, and is maybe still my favorite of the bunch. I enjoyed all the stories, "How Inyang Got Her Wings" and "The Winds of Harmattan" to name a few, that gave me glimpses of the Windseekers (and reminded me I need to FINALLY read Okorafor's "Zahrah the Windseeker" ;___;). ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
Okay, wow. Brace yourselves, folks, because I'm going to gush. I loved this collection of short stories. It was the first time I've read anything by Nnedi Okorafor and now I'm kicking myself for not reading her earlier. Though I think this collection might be a great place to start reading her works, because it contains several stories that are connected to her books.

Many of these stories felt to me as if Okorafor was taking on incident and turning it around and around then writing it from its many sides. I'm actually kind of amazed and thrilled by that, because it let me see things in so many different ways and got me thinking.

This collection is very much about women and their power. The sources of it, how people try to take it from them or erase it, and how women maintain it. One of my favorite stories was "The Palm Tree Bandit" about a woman to challenged cultural gender norms and inspired other women to do the same. I also really loved "The Carpet" and "The Baboon War" both of which Okorafor says were inspired by her own life. My favorite story was "On the Road" which was both terrifying and wonderful.

Okorafor takes you to Nigeria, in the past, the present, and the future. She introduces you to the people and lets you immerse yourself in the myths. You'll find your imagination flying like her windseekers even as you're troubled by the horrible truths that exist.

See? I said I'd be gushing. I loved the hell out of this book. I'll for sure be reading her other books.

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Great collection of short stories. All the stories were good with really interesting fantasy and African dynamics. Some of the stories share a similar theme or character which was nice. Many of the stories were so good that I was disappointed when it was over. ( )
  renbedell | Dec 2, 2014 |
In August I read Nnedi Okorafor's novel Who Fears Death (2010). It was my first experience with her writing in the long form and I found it to be one of the most thought-provoking novels I've read all year. When I saw Kabu Kabu, a short story collection published by Prime Books, pop up on NetGalley I jumped at the chance. Kabu Kabu is a very diverse set of stories. I guess you could call most of the fantasy or magical realism, sometimes with a bit of science fiction mixed in. It's one of those collections that take a bit of time to read. I think it took me three weeks to read all twenty-one stories. It is one of those collections that work best in small portions....

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Dec 28, 2013 |
I have been salivating over Kabu Kabu since I first saw Nnedi Okorafor tweeting about it a few months ago. When I saw it was available to review, I pounced and, after reading just the first story, I was not disappointed. I laughed out loud, so loudly in fact the neighboring dogs had to come back with their own version of the raucous sounds I was making.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on Oct. 2, 2013. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Oct 1, 2013 |

Tumaki 218

Biafra 241

Moom! 248

The palm tree bandit 252

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,265,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible