I Shall Be Near to You: A Novel by Erin…

I Shall Be Near to You: A Novel

by Erin Lindsay McCabe

2432447,405 (4)10
    Neverhome: A Novel by Laird Hunt (amelielyle)
    amelielyle: Both novels are based on actual accounts and diaries of women who successfully disguised themselves as men in order to fight for their beliefs during the American Civil War.

My heart hurts and my stomach aches. This book wrecked me, but in the best way possible. When an Author can write a story that is based around a tragic historical time and make it beautiful I am held captive by ink. This book made me feel like few others have. It pulled me in and swallowed me up. My whole heart was filled with hope and compassion and towards the end the words slowly broke me. Tears filled my eyes and butterflies eased their way to my stomach. Each page led to an intense inner battle that not only affected the fictional world, but also my reality. My mood fell somber and I had to let the words carry me through the final pages.

To say Rosetta is a fierce heroine is an understatement... For the pains that she experienced and things she willingly gave up for love made her not only strong on the inside, but also on the outside. She took on a new role and did everything she could to protect the one she loved. She served her country and fought like few other women could. The relationship between her and Jeremiah is one of devotion, sacrifice, friendship, and compassion. Things weren't always simple, but together they faced it with unity. It was a classic timeless romance they shared, but also a tragic gut wrenching love. It brought commitment into focus and showed us that it's not about the time together, but how we spend that time...

The book seemed to wrap around me like a ribbon... With each page, I turned in another circle. And another. And another until finally my arms were bound at my sides with nowhere to go. It took self identity and strength to cut the ties and get the freedom I searched for. I picture that is how Rosetta felt... Wrapped up in secrets, lies, and love. Completely and utterly lost until the point of being found. I imagine that she always felt safe in the shadow of Jeremiah, but desperately needed to find herself in order to let go completely. Love grounded her, but fight is what pushed her to live.

I obviously was overwhelmed and have all kinds of personal feelings I could spill, but I will stop and leave you with this. If you love an epic love story with historical roots and inspirational ties, BUY THIS BOOK. It shall be near to your heart forever. That I can promise you. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
My heart hurts and my stomach aches. This book wrecked me, but in the best way possible. When an Author can write a story that is based around a tragic historical time and make it beautiful I am held captive by ink. This book made me feel like few others have. It pulled me in and swallowed me up. My whole heart was filled with hope and compassion and towards the end the words slowly broke me. Tears filled my eyes and butterflies eased their way to my stomach. Each page led to an intense inner battle that not only affected the fictional world, but also my reality. My mood fell somber and I let the words carry me through the final pages.

ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
This has to be the most powerful, emotional, and memorable book I have ever read. There are books out there that have touched my heart and moved me to tears, but this time....the tears continued to flow even after reading the last page.

The author has written a well researched and beautiful story based loosely on real-life history. The writing is superb and flows seamlessly from cover to cover, but what really stands out is Ms. McCabe's ability to reach her audience. The way she portrays the scenes of battle and times of high emotion to the reader left me speechless. Jeremiah and Rosetta have made a deep impression on my heart that cannot be erased. This book is a rare treasure. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Jul 13, 2016 |
I received this through a Goodreads group, and am looking forward to the author talk. This was really a pleasant book. For whatever reason, it was the third book in this half year that I have read that featured a woman masquerading as a man either during or just prior to the Civil War. It was, for my tastes, the best executed one. The main character, having grown up on her family farm as a tom boy with no living brothers to help her father, marries her sweetheart before he enlists. Their dream is to earn enough money soldiering to move to Nebraska afterward to make their own homestead. Suddenly she is alone, distanced from her own family in her new role as a married woman, and looked down on by her new husband's family. A villain lurks in the background. What is a girl to do but to follow her husband? Don't hold out for a happy ending, but with the subject, that would probably be a little naive anyway... ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Strong , determined Rosetta shuns feminine pursuits and is her fathers best farm hand. she is determined not to be separated from her new husband. Author really eveokes the Southern atmosphere with the accents of the characters.
  sandrargillis | Sep 9, 2015 |
For Douglas and Dallas.
And, of course, the women who fought.
All of us are clean for once, hair slicked back, our new kepis on, our trousers still creased, standing in the dim shop, a blue curtain draped across the wall behind us.

Rosetta doesn't want her new husband Jeremiah to enlist, but he joins up, hoping to make enough money that they'll be able to afford their own farm someday. Though she's always worked by her father’s side as the son he never had, now that Rosetta is a wife she's told her place is inside with the other women. But Rosetta decides her true place is with Jeremiah, no matter what that means, and to be with him she cuts off her hair, hems an old pair of his pants, and signs up as a Union soldier.
   Rosetta drills with the men, prepares herself for battle, and faces the tension as her husband comes to grips with having a fighting wife. Fearing discovery of her secret, Rosetta’s strong will clashes with Jeremiah’s as their marriage is tested by war. Inspired by over two hundred and fifty documented accounts of the women who fought in the Civil War while disguised as men, I Shall Be Near To You is the intimate story, in Rosetta’s powerful and gorgeous voice, of the drama of marriage, one woman’s amazing exploits, and the tender love story that can unfold when two partners face life’s challenges side by side.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

"An extraordinary novel about a strong-willed woman who disguises herself as a man in order to fight beside her husband in the Civil War, inspired by a real female soldier's letters home Rosetta doesn't want her new husband Jeremiah to enlist, but he joins up, hoping to make enough money that they'll be able to afford their own farm someday. Though she's always worked by her father's side as the son he never had, now that Rosetta is a wife she's told her place is inside with the other women. But Rosetta decides her true place is with Jeremiah, no matter what that means, and to be with him she cuts off her hair, hems an old pair of his pants, and signs up as a Union soldier. Rosetta trains with the men, prepares herself for war, and deals with the tension between her and Jeremiah as he comes to grips with having a fighting wife. There are many dangers to face, from the constant threat of discovery to intense battles where they fight side by side. With him, she faces the difficult realities of the Civil War, marriage, and staying true to herself. Inspired by true accounts of the more than four hundred women who fought in the Civil War disguised as men, I Shall Be Near To You is a tender love story, an exploration of gender roles and marriage, and a hard examination of war"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible