Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous…

Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made… (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Mark Miodownik (Author)

Member:gregvogl
Title:Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World
Authors:Mark Miodownik (Author)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2014), 272 pages
Tags:science, technology

Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World by Mark Miodownik (2013)

Recently added bypeacocoa, private library, gregrr, Gezemice, khed2, tlwright, Spunkypineapple, xtofersdad, holmes111
    Molecules: The Elements and the Architecture of Everything by Theodore W. Gray (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Both of these books delight in the chemical world and present it in a fascinating way.

Materials scientist Mark Miodownik provides the reader with an extremely accessible, surprisingly enjoyable and mind-blowingly informative treatise about "stuff"...the building blocks of which items we come into contact with on a daily basis are made. Each chapter explores the history, composition, structure and common usage of a different material, such as concrete, chocolate, glass or porcelain. Miodownik treats his subjects lovingly and with enthusiasm, relating seemingly dry subject matter in such a way that whole new worlds are opened up for the reader and one will never be able to look at a spoon or a street in the same way ever again. ( )
  EmScape | Aug 29, 2018 |
Stuff Matters is about the materials that surround us and that we probably barely think about, it all seems so commonplace. The author explores everything from glass to chocolate, focusing on both the chemistry & physics of the substance and the socio-cultural uses and implications of the stuff at hand. So for instance, the chapter on glass talks about the history of glassmaking and how we couldn't really manufacture useful, quality glass until we mastered working with sufficiently high temperatures but then also talks about the impact of glass on architecture (windows), art (stained glass windows!), and science (microscopes and telescopes leading to revolutions in astronomy, chemistry, medicine, etc). I did a combination of reading and listening for this one, which meant that I sometimes missed out on the rather humorous photographs of the author surrounded by each chapter's material of focus and other illustrations that I think might have been helpful. But the audio--which is narrated by the author--is also quite good, very engaging and funny. This is one of those books that makes you appreciate everything ordinary just a little bit more -- highly recommended. ( )
  fannyprice | Mar 3, 2018 |
While a great book on materials science, it is inconsistent and often does not provide enough details on the material at hand ( )
  THC-NYC | Jan 21, 2018 |
Started slow. Didnt enjoy the first 2 chapters. Then it picked up. A light read on materials and how they are manipulated for our world. ( )
  bermandog | Sep 10, 2017 |
Enjoyable, easy read on the history and properties of certain materials of everyday life. Miodownik talks about steel, paper, concrete, plastic, ceramics, glass, and more...even chocolate! Oddly, his lack of references, other than a short "Further reading" list, didn't bother me. Perhaps because materials was among my least favorites of my engineering classes and he made it fun? ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For Ruby, Lazlo, and Ida
As is stood on a train bleeding from what would later be classified as a thirteen-centimeter stab wound, I wondered what to do.

An eye-opening adventure deep inside the everyday materials that surround us, from concrete and steel to denim and chocolate, packed with surprising stories and fascinating science

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

"Why is glass see-through? What makes elastic stretchy? Why does a paperclip bend? Why does any material look and behave the way it does?With clarity and humor, world-leading materials scientist Mark Miodownik answers all the questions you've ever had about your pens, spoons, and razor blades, while also introducing a whole world full of materials you've never even heard of: the diamond five times the size of Earth; concrete cloth that can be molded into any shape; and graphene, the thinnest, strongest, stiffest material in existence--only a single atom thick.Stuff Matters tells enthralling stories that explain the science and history of materials. From the teacup to the jet engine, the silicon chip to the paper clip, the plastic in our appliances to the elastic in our underpants, Miodownik reveals the miracles of engineering that permeate our lives. As engaging as it is incisive, Stuff Matters will make you see the materials that surround you with new eyes"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,221,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible