The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin

The Fifth Season

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Broken Earth (1)

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (Anonymous user)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (Anonymous user)

Science-fantasy about a planet so tectonically unstable that civilisations collapse regularly from vulcanism, earthquakes and tsunamis. Some on this planet have learned to control seismic movements; they are called Orogenes, They are feared and controlled by the 'Stills' who have the numbers if not the power to overwhelm them. Essun is an Orogene whose child has been killed; she seeks his killer as the world ends again.

I enjoyed the gritty texture of the world and the sinister Fulcrum where the Orogenes are trained (and dominated). I wasn't quite sure about the 2nd person narrative. ( )
  questbird | Jul 20, 2018 |
In this complex, many-layered world, cataclysmic geo-events are frequent and devastating. There are "stills" people with no connection to the earth, "orogenes" who have a physical connection to the earth itself and can manipulate it to a greater or lesser degree depending on their strength. And much more. Orogenes are regarded as useful "filth" -- and are under the careful and cruel control of the Guardians. There are mysterious "obelisks" made of precious stone that float in the sky, but no one knows what, if any, purpose they have and they are largely ignored. There are also "stone-eaters" terrifying beings who are made of, can move through, and live on rock. The "fifth season" is what the people call the catastrophic events that cause the regular progression of life to cease, earthquakes, eruptions, etc. for a year or a several thousand years . . . and these disruptions have made it hard to pass on much of any clear knowledge and wisdom from generation to generation, so history has become garbled. Into this come Essun, Damaya, and Syenite whose stories intertwine. The story unfolds slowly, over several timelines that Jemisin handles masterfully. I won't go into the story itself -- it's good, it's complicated, and if you don't care for in-clueing, you'll suffer. I got to the end of Book 1 feeling I was just barely getting a handle on one part of the story just as I realized that there are many many more layers to go. ****1/2 ( )
  sibyx | Jul 1, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Broken Earth series. It is also the first book I've read by N. K. Jemisin. I have to say, I really enjoyed the writing. Even the strange point of view of some of the chapters, which I found odd at first, stopped bothering me. Something about her writing style just made me want to keep reading this book.
That's a good thing, because the plot didn't. For far too much of this book, not a lot happened. Whether it was traveling or waiting for something, there was way too much waiting for something to happen. It also doesn't help that this is part fantasy, part post-apocalyptic fiction and part scifi (only a little). The characters are interesting, though sometimes a little one-note. All in all, an enjoyable read. ( )
1 vote Karlstar | Jun 3, 2018 |
What a wild book! It really milked my emotions, to the point where I almost couldn't bare it anymore and had to stop listing for a while. But man it was good and that universe was amazing.

I love how Jemisin doesn't shy away from any icky consequence of the world she has made and takes us there. Her world building is always all about social consequence rather than tech, but she world builds like a great sci-fi novel. This is the same kind of sci-fi/fantasy that the pern book are, but much much darker. As always themes of oppression are strong in this book, as in her other work.

Part of the story shows how the regime dehumanize people, how they actively dehumanize them self to stay part of the system - to not be thought of as too dangerous - to survive. It is really powerful. The story shows how this treatment breeds paranoia, but also how as an outcast group that paranoia is critical to survival.

The story structure is also an interesting touch - it took me by suprise.

So once again, this book is wild. I think I have to get my bookclub to read something of hers.

Read my full review: http://www.mackat.dk/book/2017/06/the-fifth-season/ ( )
1 vote macthekat82 | May 24, 2018 |
Wow! Exhausting adrenaline rush with powerful themes and flawed characters we love or hate. ( )
  Bibliofemmes | May 21, 2018 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all those who have to fight for the respect that everyone else is given without question
Let's start with the end of the world, why don't we?  Get it over with and move on to more interesting things.

Three terrible things happen in a single day.

Essun, masquerading as an ordinary schoolteacher in a quiet small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Mighty Sanze, the empire whose innovations have been civilization's bedrock for a thousand years, collapses as its greatest city is destroyed by a madman's vengeance. And worst of all, across the heartland of the world's sole continent, a great red rift has been been torn which spews ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries.

Three terrible things happen in a single day. Essun, masquerading as an ordinary schoolteacher in a quiet small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Mighty Sanze, the empire whose innovations have been civilization's bedrock for a thousand years, collapses as its greatest city is destroyed by a madman's vengeance. And worst of all, across the heartland of the world's sole continent, a great red rift has been torn which spews ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries. But this is the Stillness, a land long familiar with struggle, and where orogenes -- those who wield the power of the earth as a weapon -- are feared far more than the long cold night. Essun has remembered herself, and she will have her daughter back. She does not care if the world falls apart around her. Essun will break it herself, if she must, to save her daughter.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible