The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin

The Fifth Season

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Broken Earth (1)

English (143)  Dutch (1)  All languages (144)
The story and the structure were good. The world the author put together was neat and imaginative. But the problem I had was the language, I couldn't get past very easily her use of language and words that were used in the world Ms. Jemisin built. Over all it was pretty good, but It was that language that was just too much for me. ( )
  Schneider | Mar 18, 2019 |
I finally picked this up because Amazon in the UK were selling it new for two quid. It's a mixed bag. Is it terribly damning if I say it reads a bit like fan fiction? There is something amateurish and over-eager about the prose. Tonally, it's all over the place (why name a chapter after a line from The Blues Brothers?) and I found the LGBT-friendly elements shoe-horned in rather than organic to the story. If you're going to build a fantasy world, why build one that still only has one trans-character, one professionally-closeted gay character and one flamboyant bisexual? You could probably tell that story without all the magical gubbins.

The world building is relentless to the point where it's almost distracting. Even up until the last few chapters new concepts were being introduced and explained. It got a little tiresome. All that being said, there were moments of enjoyment - a couple of action sequences that played out thrillingly - and the threaded plotting that turns out to be multiple timelines that eventually come together was neatly enough handled. Still, there were too many clumsy moments included one particularly ill-judged borrowing from [b:Beloved|6149|Beloved|Toni Morrison|http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1347984578s/6149.jpg|736076] which left a sour taste. Not terrible, but not terribly good. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Sedona couldn’t be a more perfect backdrop to read “The Fifth Season”, by N.K. Jemisin. A sci-fi/fantasy blend rooted deeply in geology, the book takes place in a future Earth that is geologically unstable, unpredictable. The society that Jemisin created is absolutely complex, nuanced, believable in a way I’ve rarely seen in a fictional world. The story is personal and engaging and unfolds in surprising ways, setting the stage for an epic series. The characters are fantastic. This is a book I forced myself to read slowly and savor, lest it be over too soon. If you love fantasy or softer sci-fi, I highly recommend this gem! ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
I AM SO MAD AT THIS BOOK FOR ENDING. What am I supposed to do now? I have the next book on hold, but it will be days before it gets to me. Maybe even a week!

This is all the things I want in a book. It is fantasy and cataclysm. It does something new with magic and the apocalypse. It is deep and dark and true. It has meaning and excitement. I'm talking jerk up from your perfect comfy reading position because a body must be bolt upright to read something this intense excitement.

WTF am I gonna do for a week? Pray to the god of holds on my behalf if you believe in that sort of thing. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 8, 2019 |
I really loved this book! The story is compelling and the structure has some unusual elements I hadn't seen before. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  The_Kat_Cache | Feb 26, 2019 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elk tijdperk moet tot een einde komen.
For all those who have to fight for the respect that everyone else is given without question
Let's start with the end of the world, why don't we?  Get it over with and move on to more interesting things.
Dit is wat je moet onthouden: het einde van het ene verhaal
is alleen maar het begin van het volgende.
Dit is immers al eerder gebeurd. Mensen gaan door.
Oude ordes vergaan. Nieuwe samenlevingen worden geboren.
Als we zeggen dat 'de wereld is vergaan', is dat meestal een leugen, want de planeet maakt het prima.
Maar zo vergaat de wereld
Zo vergaat de wereld.
Zo vergaat de wereld.
Voor de laatste keer.

Three terrible things happen in a single day.

Essun, masquerading as an ordinary schoolteacher in a quiet small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Mighty Sanze, the empire whose innovations have been civilization's bedrock for a thousand years, collapses as its greatest city is destroyed by a madman's vengeance. And worst of all, across the heartland of the world's sole continent, a great red rift has been been torn which spews ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries.

Three terrible things happen in a single day. Essun, masquerading as an ordinary schoolteacher in a quiet small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Mighty Sanze, the empire whose innovations have been civilization's bedrock for a thousand years, collapses as its greatest city is destroyed by a madman's vengeance. And worst of all, across the heartland of the world's sole continent, a great red rift has been torn which spews ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries. But this is the Stillness, a land long familiar with struggle, and where orogenes -- those who wield the power of the earth as a weapon -- are feared far more than the long cold night. Essun has remembered herself, and she will have her daughter back. She does not care if the world falls apart around her. Essun will break it herself, if she must, to save her daughter.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,435,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible