Willful Child by Steven Erikson

Willful Child

by Steven Erikson

Only made it a short way into the book. The book appears to be intended to be humorous...not to my taste. ( )
  sweetfe | Jun 6, 2018 |
This is, in more or less equal parts, witty, clever, satirical, and juvenile. The last was a bit too heavy for my current taste, with crude language, slapstick violence, sexual humor, and absurd situations, but the witty cultural satire balanced it enough to make this a very enjoyable read for me. It is, or course, a parody of Star Trek, and there are several references to that classic TV show, and the points it made about Western (especially American) culture are spot on. I can recommend this one to Trekkers and to fans of Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It blends some of the best of both. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Okay, I can't take anymore. This is obviously not my cup-of-tea, not my style of humor, and it is going onto the abandoned book shelf. First one for 2015.

It's not that the book isn't funny (it is) or that it is poorly written (it isn't), I just got tired of the constantly repeated lame jokes, the non-stop potty humor, and the continuous locker room banter. This book would have been much better as a novella instead of 300 pages of middle-school humor. ( )
1 vote ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
A string of overblown bit pieces, in a quasi-Star Trek world. I laughed a few times. ( )
  stonecrops | May 18, 2016 |
It's a bit like Galaxy Quest crossed with Space Balls. Lots of silly gags and digs at the original Star Trek. The humour ranges from slapstick, through references to star trek and all the way over to nerd humour. Much like Scalzi's RedShirts it is a quick read and easily forgotten. Some laugh out loud moments and clever jokes, but mostly slapstick. Almost like Erikson is trying to shake the bleakness of the Mallazan Book of the Fallen out of his system :-) ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |

A whimsical space-opera spoof follows the misadventures of foolish but exceedingly cocksure Captain Hadria Sawback and his motley crew aboard the starship Willful Child as they plant the Terran flag on subjugated alien worlds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,827,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible