Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's…

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry (2013)

by Fredrik Backman

Series: Britt-Marie (1)

1,8201215,695 (3.94)147
    House of the Winds by Mia Yun (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though the settings differ, both captivating, character-centered novels portray girls who learn of the world through eccentric older women's traditional tales of peaceful realms.
    Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these moving, whimsical tales, imaginative storytellers mix the fantastical with the mundane, leaving it to a now-adult man in Big Fish and a small girl in My Grandmother Asked Me to sort between the two as they process their grief.… (more)

English (116)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (121)
This book was NOTHING like A Man Called Ove. I had such high hopes for it after reading "Ove" and kept thinking it had to get better, but it just plodded along with its strange story. Where the author wrapped up any unanswered questions in "Ove", he left a few hanging here. I spent the entire book asking why, why, why?

If this had not been a bookclub read I would have put it down. If I had read it before A Man Called Ove, I would never have read another of this author's books. 2 stars is actually generous. ( )
  sgilbraith | Feb 8, 2019 |
The main character in this story is seven year old Elsa, a girl without friends, who is teased and bullied at school. Granny, loves Elsa deeply and even though everyone thinks she is crazy, she will do whatever it takes to make Elsa feel better and take risks. As this story unfolds and you learn more about Granny, it is easy to see why she does what she does, she is a humanitarian who has saved numerous people all the while using her marvelous imagination.

Granny shares her fairytale world of The Land-of-Almost-Awake with this lonely little girl to help her to cope with her world. The cast of characters living in the apartment complex or house, come alive in the fairytales. When Granny dies of cancer, she leaves letters for Elsa to deliver. This is where the title comes from. All the letter apologize to the receiver. Elsa participates in a type of scavenger hunt trying to figure out where the next letter is she needs to deliver and in her journey discovers more about the people living in the house as well as her own family. Elsa seems to be a lot older than 7 going on 8, but with all the problems and insecurities she has you can see that little girl in her.

This book is a cross between a fairytale, coming of age type story with Wurses, knights, princesses, princes and more. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to parents and grandparents to show them how to deal with children and help everyone understand that it it wonderful and okay to "Be Different"

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
A fun book with plenty of laughs and plenty of sorrow. An almost eight year old girl, who is as smart, informed and wise as most folks in their 40's, is the key character. The dialog and prose moves quickly with current lingo and allusions to modern cultural. The story examines love, family, death, grief, pets, quirks and personality generalizations with admirable depth, with a twist of humor. The meaning of life is a thread throughout the book with a backdrop of fairy tales. Quite a refreshing and pleasant book for such a deep think piece. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Having read this author before "A man called Ova" I wanted to continue reading his books and I was not let down. A grandmother (a modern woman way before her time) and a retired doctor who travelled the world to help the unfortunate) tells her granddaughter fairy tales. Her mother (who is divorced, remarried and pregnant) and her grandmother plus a dog and several other people reside in an "apartment house". As time passes the tales become more intricate. When her grandmother passes, the little girl inherits the house and is launched on a hunt. The fairy tales are based on the people the house (all of whom are important her grandmother). ( )
  joannemonck | Jan 27, 2019 |
Another charming novel by Fredrik Backman. This time, the story is a fairy tale about a girl and her grandmother, and all the characters in their lives. The novel is a lovely story of getting to know people, facing your fears, realizing your superpowers, and growing up. I really enjoyed it. I found it hard to get into at first, because of all the fairy tale kingdoms, but once I understood this, I flew through the book, and really loved it. Do yourself a favor, and follow Elsa on her treasure hunt, and her adventures in her own fairy tale. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
A contemporary fairy tale from the whimsical author of A Man Called Ove (2014)...This is a more complex tale than Backman’s debut, and it is intricately, if not impeccably, woven. The third-person narrative voice, when aligned with Elsa’s perspective, reveals heartfelt, innocent observations, but when moving toward omniscience, it can read as too clever by half. Given a choice, Backman seems more likely to choose poignancy over logic; luckily, the choice is not often necessary. As in A Man Called Ove, there are clear themes here, nominally: the importance of stories; the honesty of children; and the obtuseness of most adults, putting him firmly in league with the likes of Roald Dahl and Neil Gaiman.

A touching, sometimes-funny, often wise portrait of grief.

Fredrik Backmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koch, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the monkey and the frog. For an eternity of ten thousand tales.
Every seven-year-old deserves a superhero.

"From the author of the internationally bestselling A Man Called Ove, a charming, warmhearted novel about a young girl whose grandmother dies and leaves behind a series of letters, sending her on a journey that brings to life the world of her grandmother's fairy tales"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,472,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible