The Magpie lord : a charm of Magpies by KJ…

The Magpie lord : a charm of Magpies (original 2013; edition 2013)

by KJ Charles

A lord in danger. A magician in turmoil. A snowball in hell. A Charm of Magpies, Book 1 Exiled to China for twenty years, Lucien Vaudrey never planned to return to England. But with the mysterious deaths of his father and brother, it seems the new Lord Crane has inherited an earldom. He's also inherited his family's enemies. He needs magical assistance, fast. He doesn't expect it to turn up angry. Magician Stephen Day has good reason to hate Crane's family. Unfortunately, it's his job to deal with supernatural threats. Besides, the earl is unlike any aristocrat he's ever met, with the tattoos, the attitude...and the way Crane seems determined to get him into bed. That's definitely unusual. Soon Stephen is falling hard for the worst possible man, at the worst possible time. But Crane's dangerous appeal isn't the only thing rendering Stephen powerless. Evil pervades the house, a web of plots is closing round Crane, and if Stephen can't find a way through it-they're both going to die. Warning: Contains hot m/m sex between a deeply inappropriate earl and a very confused magician, dark plots in a magical version of Victorian England, family values (not the good kind), and a lot of swearing.… (more)
Member:equanimity23
Title:The Magpie lord : a charm of Magpies
Authors:KJ Charles
Info:Cincinnati, OH : Samhain Publishing, Ltd., 2013.
Tags:year-2020

The Magpie Lord by KJ Charles (2013)

Salt Magic, Skin Magic by Lee Welch (Sarielle)
    Sarielle: Both books are historical mm-romances involving magic.

A fascinating historical novel with M/M protagonists and magic!

Lucien Crane was exiled to Shanghai by his father for being a troublesome teen, to say the least. Twenty years later he returned to England after the suicide of both father and older brother, as he is the only remaining heir. Lucien has walked into the middle of a plot to get rid of/control his family line/fortune. He hires, Stephen Day, a shaman or 'practioner' to help. Things explode from there.

Stephen's family had been wrong by Lucien's and much as it pained him to help, it was his duty and also the right thing to do. While helping to stop the curse that caused his father, brother and (almost) Lucien to commit suicide, they uncover a much bigger plot.

There is much mystery, magic, and men-in-love. I enjoyed the pacing of the story, the plot, and the characters. Merrick is my favorite!

The narrator did an excellent job of capturing the voices of the characters. I could picture them all clearly in my head. I'm very excited that the next in series picks up where this story left off and am looking forward to it! ( )
1 vote Virago77 | Sep 12, 2020 |
Oh, um, yum.
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I very much enjoyed this story. It has been a while since I've seen anything that prompted me to read something new (I've been mostly re-reading favorite books lately). The fact that it was free to my Kindle may have had something to do with it LOL. I am really very glad that I decided to try this out. I've already purchased the two sequels and am really enjoying the ongoing story!

This first installment is a Victorian Urban Fantasy with two easy to like main characters. Lucien had been shipped off to China by his father as a teenager while his morally reprehensible older brother was raised to take over the Lordship's estates. When Lucien's father and brother both die, Lucien must return to take over the family's holdings. Once home, Lucien becomes victim of the same curse which had murdered his father and brother, and he seeks assistance from the local Practitioner (wizard) population.

Stephen Day, the Practitioner who arrives to assist him, is un-inclined to to help as his family had been destroyed by Lucien's father. Fortunately, Lucien proves himself to be a completely different sort of lord and Stephen begins to try and unravel the person behind the curse. His investigation leads to unsettling discoveries about the source of the curse and startling revelations about Lucien, the Magpie Lord. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | May 22, 2020 |
Wow, what a book! 5/5, loved it with all my heart.

TW: homophobia, suicide

Firstly, I'm not a big fan of historical fiction. But when magic is involved... sign me up baby!
Secondly, that book was amazing. It reminded me of Widdershins (Whyborne and Griffin series) by J.L. Hawk, but different. Widdershins was good, but too historical for my taste, all these anachronisms and language, I couldn't get into easily. Also Whyborne and Griffin were both anxious and couldn't express their feelings (understandable), but in The ML both main characters are open-minded and open-hearted good guys, and I loved them both (even though I didn't like Stephen at first, he grew on me and is the best). The Magpie Lord is more casual, closer to our language and with better magic imo. Also Britain setting with the character that grew up in China. And tattoos! And did I said magic? Yes, gimme all of it.

It was action packed, but also filled with humor and tension between main characters (as I said in one of my comments - 0 to 60 in 3 seconds!) and the best part - idk how but author escapes all possible tropes of mm romance, so every time something happened between characters I wasn't prepared and my heart just exploded.

Also, didn't you like where one character is tall and other small? But both strong, sharp, smart and with attitude. Whew, I need to stop. Or do I? On to the next book! ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
Currently free via Kindle. Better than I expected. Kept me distracted for a couple of hours and that was all I wanted. Easy to read and right pacing of plot. ( )
  infjsarah | Apr 4, 2020 |
For Charlie, of course
The grey awful misery tangled round his heart and throat, choking him, sickening him with the vileness of his own nature.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,870,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible