The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work

by Scott Berkun

"A behind-the-scenes look at the firm behind WordPress.com and the unique work culture that contributes to its phenomenal success50 million websites, or twenty percent of the entire web, use WordPress software. The force behind WordPress.com is a convention-defying company called Automattic, Inc., whose 120 employees work from anywhere in the world they wish, barely use email, and launch improvements to their products dozens of times a day. With a fraction of the resources of Google, Amazon, or Facebook, they have a similar impact on the future of the Internet. How is this possible? What's different about how they work, and what can other companies learn from their methods?To find out, former Microsoft veteran Scott Berkun worked as a manager at WordPress.com, leading a team of young programmers developing new ideas. The Year Without Pants shares the secrets of WordPress.com's phenomenal success from the inside. Berkun's story reveals insights on creativity, productivity, and leadership from the kind of workplace that might be in everyone's future. Offers a fast-paced and entertaining insider's account of how an amazing, powerful organization achieves impressive results Includes vital lessons about work culture and managing creativity Written by author and popular blogger Scott Berkun (scottberkun.com) The Year Without Pants shares what every organization can learn from the world-changing ideas for the future of work at the heart of Automattic's success"--… (more)

I, I, I... This book is awfully ego

The most boring useless book of 2013 ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
I'm not sure I can really rate this, since my main reaction is that it's deeply disorienting to read a book written about my company, and a lot of the people I work with, the year before I worked there. Berkun has a lot of really good insights about our culture!
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
The book is an easy reading with a pack of good experiences and observations about working in a chaotic and creative start up (wordpress). ( )
  jmbenedetto | Sep 4, 2016 |
Sold me on Automattic as a company, pointed out many of the things I worry about with Continuous Deployment, but no solutions. Esp uncomfortable with how he characterized his time on happiness - he didn't like the metrics, but no ideas for solutions? blah ( )
  ansate | Oct 18, 2014 |
Pleasant read but I have a problem following his logic ( )
  gereon | Jun 1, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,640,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible