The sword of summer by Rick Riordan

The sword of summer (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Rick Riordan

"Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother's mysterious death, he's lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers. One day, he's tracked down by an uncle he barely knows-a man his mother claimed was dangerous. Uncle Randolph tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god. The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years. When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision. Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die ..."--Publisher.… (more)
Member:joeeasterly
Title:The sword of summer
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Los Angeles : Disney Hyperion, 2015.
Collections:Fiction & Literature

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan (2015)

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More of the Norse gods intruding on modern society.

“My name is Magnus Chase. I’m sixteen years old. This is the story of how my life went downhill after I got myself killed.”
I knew I’d enjoy this because a) I’m always sucker for mythology of any kind and b) I love Rick Riordan’s humorous writing. The Sword of Summer is an expectedly fun read with great characters, action, and drama. Magnus is a snarky and sarcastic narrator whose POV is a blast to read from. Blitzen, Hearthstone, and Samirah are all wonderful characters who are so easy to follow. I did think that Annabeth’s cameo was kinda wasted. I mean it was so small, I was almost like why bother. But that’s such a small thing it really doesn’t even matter. There was such a strong set up for book 2, I kinda can’t wait to see what happens next. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Oct 9, 2019 |
Rick Riordan has a special way of making the gods and goddesses of an ancient era more ... human. I love how easy I can relate to the characters, I enjoy seeing how these gods and villains cope in a modern society, but most of all I can't get enough of his writing. Yes, these books are for kids, but the mythology keeps me hooked and when I want to unwind there's no better way to do it than by reading some Rick Riordan.
I've read some of the Percy Jackson books in the past - some of the Heroes of Olympus series and some of the standalone books - so I knew I'd enjoy Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer. I was right. I thoroughly enjoyed this new setting, and the way the author tied this book series into the previous series'. Furthermore, Magnus Chase is unique in a lot of ways. For one, he doesn't have nearly as much snark as Percy Jackson, but he's got a darker outlook on life, which is understandable if you consider his background. He's also oblivious to the Greek and Roman gods ... In other words, step aside Zeus, it's Odin time!

In Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer we get to meet a few of the Asgardian gods and goddesses, as well as the villains, which sets up the story for hopefully another long-running series. We meet Loki (he's just as complex as I hoped he would be), and Thor (*giggles* he's way different than I expected him to be). Odin makes an appearance. There are some minor gods and goddesses. OH! And there are elves and dwarves, too. Frankly, this is an awesome book, and I hope Riordan explores all these worlds and mythologies in depth.

I can't wait for the next one!

So, if you're looking for a last minute gift for a young adult (or a grown-up who loves mythology and fantasy-based novels), this is the book you need to get them. ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
I don’t know a single person who doesn’t love Magnus Chase, and usually more than they love Percy Jackson. All of Rick Riordan’s series are greatly acclaimed, but Magnus, in particular, gets a lot of love in my circles. Having loved Percy Jackson and known how much my friends enjoyed The Sword of Summer, I was ready to love it too.

And you know, it was fine? Entertaining enough, and the story moved along okay, but I really don’t think it is Riordan’s best work? I know a fair amount of Norse mythology and as usual, Rick Riordan has done his research. But this book was just a little too silly for me to fully enjoy.

This is where I step aside to remind myself that The Sword of Summer is a middle grade novel. And it is highly successful as a middle grade novel. The jokes about swearing and the emphasis on Thor farting.. well… the intended audience will definitely giggle. And if that’s your brand of humor, that’s awesome. You’ll like The Sword of Summer as well! But the “immature” sense of humor aggravated me more than it amused me (it amused me never, actually) so a lot of this book fell flat on its face for me.

The characters failed to impress as well. There were aspects to all of them that were interesting, but as a group, I was just bored. Magnus relied entirely on bad jokes to get him through the book. Blitz’s interest in fashion was his loudest defining characteristic, and after about the first third of the book, that was just exhausting. There was a lot to like about Heart, but he was the least featured of the group. And Samirah? She had an interesting backstory, but she was firmly in the role of sidekick here and did not live up to her full potential. Or maybe it was just Magnus’ constant tongue-in-cheek comments that took away from other characters, like watching a badly commentated Little League game.

There’s this old sketch on Saturday Night Live called “The Californians”, and one of their runnings gags is to name-drop all the highways in their dialogue… and it’s funny because it’s a joke. The Sword of Summer does the same thing with Boston… except… it’s obnoxious. And that’s in part because it’s a 15 hour book, not a 5 minute sketch. Honestly, after the fifth familiar street name, a heavy fog settled over me like “okay, so it’s going to be like this.” Riordan doesn’t do this with New York City in The Lightning Thief, so I’m not sure why he had to name every street, monument, and prominent building in Boston. Annoying.

Finally, there’s the inevitable comparison – Magnus Chase vs. Percy Jackson (I haven’t read the Kane Chronicles yet). There are a lot of parallels between the two, which made Magnus’ story feel less original. Percy and Magnus were both raised by their mothers and abandoned by their fathers. They both end up in a place where they feel they don’t belong. They both go quest-hunting with a girl and at least one magical creature. They both have to deal with the denizens of the Underworld. They both have swords that turn into something else. I guess in some of these, it’s just the rules of the world but where Percy felt more grounded… Magnus was just largely ridiculous. I also feel strongly that the minor characters in The Sword of Summer are far less developed, which takes away a level of depth to the story as a whole.

A lot of these are nitpicky things. I think that middle grade readers (the intended audience) are going to love The Sword of Summer as a sillier version of Percy Jackson. I think people who haven’t read Percy will enjoy it more because they aren’t comparing. And I think people who have nostalgic memories about Percy will love diving back into this world. It’s not a bad book, I just… I expected more, Rick Riordan. ( )
  Morteana | Sep 12, 2019 |
Magnus Chase is living on the streets of Boston when he finds out that one of the gods of Asgard is his father. Riordan did this formula very well in the Percy Jackson-series and this is a different spin on the same thing. It's entertaining, for sure, but not as interesting as the original, unfortunately. ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 24, 2019 |
This book practically drops you straight into the action and never really lets you go. I found myself halfway through the book without stopping. The main character is a wise-cracking teenager who has already seen some things, and his merry band of companions is such an amazing mix of outcasts. I cannot wait to read the second book. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Cassandra Clare
Thanks for letting me share the excellent name Magnus
Yea, I know.
Odin announced ... "I hung from the World Tree for nine days and nights, racked with pain, in order to discover the secret of runes. I stood in line in a blizzard for six days to discover the sorcery of the smartphone." (475)

Boston frames the Norse

world of gods and men, plus a

witty talking sword.

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,761,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible