John Dies at the End by David Wong

John Dies at the End (edition 2007)

by David Wong

1,250None6,316 (3.9)67
Member:ajhackwith
Title:John Dies at the End
Authors:David Wong
Info:Permuted Press (2007), Paperback, 376 pages
Rating:*

John Dies at the End by David Wong

After reading a particular great review on GoodReads, I had to get my hands on this ASAP. Several people I follow on this glorious website have been singing the praises of bizarro fiction over the past number of months and have stirred up some interest in me about exploring the genre.

John Dies at the End was my first bizzaro experience and now has me dying to devour more material. It was everything I thought this genre was supposed to be.. totally fucked up, thrilling and interesting characters with hilarious dialouge.

I could go into detail explaining the plot, but it's so out there that it's best if maybe you go into it with a little ignorance and just let it unfold before you. There are so many twists and turns that I found it hard at times to put it down. It's only because I've been so busy lately with personal matters that it had taken me about two weeks to fully finish.

John and David are cemented as two of my favorite characters at this point in my reading career. Totally cynical, over-flowing with sarcastic wit. The author just continues to outdo himself time and time again throughout the novel. As Stephen pointed out in his review of the book, the following quote may just be one of my favorites of all time:

From day one it was like society was this violent, complicated dance and everybody had taken lessons but me. Knocked to the floor again, climbing to my feet each time, bloody and humiliated. Always met with disapproving faces, waiting for me to leave so I'd stop fucking up the party.
The wanted to push me outside, where the freaks huddled in the cold. Out there with the misfits, the broken, the glazed-eye types who can only watch as the normals enjoy their shiny new cars and careers and marriages and vacations with the kids.

The freaks spend their lives shambling around, wondering how they got left out, mumbling about conspiracy theories and bigfoot sightings. Their encounters with the world are marked by awkward conversations and stifled laughter, hidden smirks and rolled eyes. And worst of all, pity.

Trust me. This is a fantastic book. The fact that its being made into a movie makes me extremely happy. The cast looks decent and is made up of smaller, lesser known actors (which I'm a fan of) with the exception of a few heavyweights. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
This book contains some of the funniest moments and some of the most terrifying moments I've ever read, usually both in the same scene. It's not so scary that you'll need to read it with every light in the house on, but later that night when you think you see something moving out of the corner of your eye, that's when it gets to you.

The pacing is a little strange -- there's a point in the middle where the excitement peaks and then goes completely dull for a while, as if a literal second book is beginning and now we've got to explain everything again for new readers. It's jarring considering how disjointed the book already is, and I'd be surprised if they filmed it like that in the upcoming movie.

Ultimately, your enjoyment of this book will depend on the maturity level of your sense of humor and your tolerance for gross-out horror. I liked it a lot, which I hope says more about the underlying cleverness of this book than it does about my lack of class. It's almost like listening to your crazy friend embellishing a story -- you know it's bullshit, but behind that bullshit is an alarming amount of creativity. ( )
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
I did not know whether to laugh or be scared for most of the time I was reading this book. And I loved it. Absurd theater at its best. ( )
  justplainoldcj | Dec 9, 2013 |
There is really nothing to add to all of the excellent reviews for this novel except read it! It will grab you by the hair and drag you kicking and screaming and laughing all the way to the end. ( )
  DonCranford | Dec 3, 2013 |
It was a book, undeniably exciting and unexpected. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 25, 2013 |
JDATE is the rare genre novel that manages to keep its sense of humor strong without ever diminishing the scares; David is a consistently hilarious narrator whose one-liners and running commentary are sincere in a way that makes the horrors he confronts even more unsettling. Plot-wise, for a good two-thirds of the book, it seems like Wong is more interested in piling on weirder and weirder threats than fitting the pieces together, and while his invention never flags, the accumulation of horrors eventually threatens to turn the narrative into a breathless series of “And then?”s. Still, the tone and white-knuckle pacing cover up a lot of sins, and Wong manages to pull everything together for a finale that’s both stomach-churningly freaky and oddly moving. It’s the sort of thing that leaves readers breathless and nauseous, but surprisingly hungry for more.

David Wongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, RichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grom, RobCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spear, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solving the following riddle will reveal the awful secret behind the universe, assuming you do not go utterly mad in the attempt.
Something coming back from the dead was almost always bad news. Movies taught me that. For every one Jesus you get a million zombies.
Let's say you have an ax. Just a cheap one, from Home Depot. On one bitter winter day, you use said ax to behead a man. Don't worry, the man was already dead. Or maybe you should worry, because you're the one who shot him.

STOP.You should not have touched this book with your bare hands.NO, don’t put it down. It’s too late.They’re watching you.My name is David Wong. My best friend is John. Those names are fake. You might want to change yours.You may not want to know about the things you’ll read on these pages, about the sauce, about Korrok, about the invasion, and the future. But it’s too late. You touched the book. You’re in the game. You’re under the eye.The only defense is knowledge. You need to read this book, to the end. Even the part with the bratwurst. Why? You just have to trust me. The important thing is this:The drug is called Soy Sauce and it gives users a window into another dimension. John and I never had the chance to say no. You still do.Unfortunately for us, if you make the right choice, we’ll have a much harder time explaining how to fight off the otherworldly invasion currently threatening to enslave humanity.I’m sorry to have involved you in this, I really am. But as you read about these terrible events and the very dark epoch the world is about to enter as a result, it is crucial you keep one thing in mind: None of this is was my fault.

In this reissue of an Internet phenomenon originally slapped between two covers in 2007 by indie Permutus Press, Wong—Cracked.com editor Jason Pargin's alter ego—adroitly spoofs the horror genre while simultaneously offering up a genuinely horrifying story. The terror is rooted in a substance known as “soy sauce,” a paranormal psychoactive that opens video store clerk Wong's—and his penis-obsessed friend John's—minds to higher levels of consciousness. Or is it just hell seeping into the unnamed Midwestern town where Wong and the others live? Meat monsters, wig-wearing scorpion aberrations and wingless white flies that burrow into human skin threaten to kill Wong and his crew before infesting the rest of the world. A multidimensional plot unfolds as the unlikely heroes drink lots of beer and battle the paradoxes of time and space, as well as the clichés of first-person-shooter video games and fantasy gore films. Sure to please the Fangoria set while appealing to a wider audience, the book's smart take on fear manages to tap into readers' existential dread on one page, then have them laughing the next.

David Wong is the pseudonym of Jason Pargin, online humorist, National Lampoon contributor, and editor-in-chief of Cracked.com.

NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE

STOP.

You should not have touched this book with your bare hands.

NO, don’t put it down. It’s too late.

They’re watching you.

The important thing is this:

John and I never had the chance to say no.

You still do.

None of this is was my fault.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:38 -0400)

This may be the story of John and David, a drug called soy sauce, and other-worldly beings invading the planet. Or, it may be the story of two beer-drinking friends who live in an unnamed Midwestern town and only think something horrific is going on. But the important thing is, according to the narrator, "None of this is my fault.".… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible