The Innocent by Posie Graeme-Evans

The Innocent (edition 2005)

by Posie Graeme-Evans

Member:tina1969
Title:The Innocent
Authors:Posie Graeme-Evans
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

The Innocent by Posie Graeme-Evans

15 year old Anne is being taken by her foster mother to work as a servant in merchant's house. She has good knowledge of herbs and after Anne saves the merchant’s wife, her knowledge brings her to the attention of the court's doctor.The doctor brings Anne to court to help the queen giving birth to their first child. While being there she attracts the king’s eye and discovers the truth about her parents.

Oh boy, where am I gonna start? First of all, if you’re gonna read this for historical accurancy, don’t bother.

My first problem is with Anne. She is just too perfect. Every man falls for her, even the king who is known for his many fleeting affairs just falls in love with after few glances. Of course she can heal better than the doctors, evade the merchant’s son who loves to spend his time raping the servant girls, staying annoyingly innocent and being nice to everyone.

In the beginning of the book the merchan’t son, Piers, has some rather gross sex scenes with this girl which I could have lived unknowing. And we also learn that Edward IV finds watching other people having sex erotic and appearantly so does Anne after peeking from the door where Hastings is with some laundress *insert eye roll here*

And the truth about her parents? Her father is none other than Henry VI. Because he’s known to be chasing girls between praying and his bouts of madness... And it’s rather understandable that after Margaret finds out the girl is pregnant she tries to assasinate her. This whole thing was little too much on the melodramatic side for my liking.

And after Anne finds out about her father, she rather instantly finds maturity and kind of a royal bearing. And after months of evading Edward she jumps to his bed after finding who she is. Because it’s much more logical doing adultery when you are royal bastard than a mere servant...
And why illegitimate daughter might be such a big threat to Edward is totally beyond me.

But I liked William Hastings. And I think that’s the first time so there was at least one thing I liked ( )
  Elysianfield | Mar 30, 2013 |
The year is 1450, a dangerous time in medieval Britain. Civil unrest is at its peak and the legitimacy of the royal family is suspect. Meanwhile, deep in the forests of western England, a baby is born. Powerful forces plot to kill both mother and child, but somehow the newborn girl survives. Her name is Anne.

Fifteen years later, England emerges into a fragile but hopeful new age, with the charismatic young King Edward IV on the throne. Anne, now a young peasant girl, joins the household of a wealthy London merchant. Her unusual beauty provokes jealousy, lust, and intrigue, but Anne has a special quality that saves her: a vast knowledge of healing herbs. News of her extraordinary gift spreads, and she is called upon to save the ailing queen. Soon after, Anne is moved into the palace, where she finds her destiny with the man who will become the greatest love of her life -- the king himself.

My Thoughts:

I started reading this book and found I was enjoying the book. I felt it was very much in the vain of early Philippa Gregory what with the historical theme and I didn’t mind the bodice ripping at all.

As the book went on I felt it was becoming a bit of a yarn and I felt myself losing interest and found I was getting rather bored with it. Anne was annoying and I was fed up with being told how beautiful she was and how all the male characters whom came across her wanted her.

This isn’t the best book out there and altough Philippa Gregory can be a bit repeatative she is a far better author if you want to read historical. I don’t think that there is enough in this book for me to want to read the other two in the series. ‘The Wise Woman’ by Philippa Gregory is such a better read. ( )
  tina1969 | Dec 29, 2012 |
This is the first book in a trilogy, set in England in the 1400s. A young girl named Anne – born in dangerous and mysterious circumstances – come to work as a servant at the home of wealthy Mathew Cuttifer and his wife Margaret. After tragedy strikes at the house, Anne finds herself working at the Royal Palace for the Queen Elizabeth Wydeville. But King Edward covets Anne for himself, and although Anne knows that it is wrong, she cannot but help feeling irresistably drawn to the King. However, danger lurks around every corner, and when secrets from the past come to light, Anne realises that she could be in very real danger…

This is definitely a book which I found it hard to make up my mind about. On the plus side, the writing flowed easily and it was very ‘readable’. It was also packed with historical detail (but beware that there is a lot of historical inaccuracy – Anne for example is not based on a real character at all), and the parts where the hair and clothing fashions of the day were mentioned, were fascinating. The story itself was also pacey and kept me interested.

However, I found it hard to invest in any of the characters, most of whom seemed two dimensional at best. Anne is supposed to be a stunningly beautiful girl, but it got a bit tedious when this fact was constantly rammed down the reader’s throat – every single male character who laid eyes on her was instantly transfixed by her beauty, and this point was emphasised throughout the story. She was just too twee and perfect to be a heroine who I could really invest in. King Edward seemed to come across as a caricature, and Elizabeth Wydeville was portrayed as the wicked witch of the west!

The other problem was the writing, which was sometimes rather clunky, with grammatical mistakes and lazy sentence construction. However, this was not such a huge problem in itself (and should have been picked up by an editor). What was a bigger problem were the (thankfully) occasional pages of utter smut, which added nothing whatsoever to the book and only served to slow the story down. I’m not a prude and have no problem with sex in novels, but I do get annoyed when gratuitous sex scenes appear for no real reason. They were fairly few and far between, but I would caution readers who don’t like such scenes to approach with caution.

Despite the criticism, I’m not sorry that I took the time to read this book, as the storyline itself was worth reading – I would consider reading the next two books in the series, but possibly not for quite a while. If you’re a fan of historical fiction (with the emphasis on fiction). I’d probably recommend the book, but if like me you’re a fan of Philippa Gregory and are expecting something similar with this book, you might be disappointed. ( )
2 vote Ruth72 | May 23, 2011 |
This is the first in a 3 book series about Anne de Bohun during the reign of Edward IV. In this novel we follow Anne's life from a servant girl to the Merchant Matthew Cuttifer where she meets the King. Her skills with healing herbs help her rise and eventually lead her to become one of the Queen's personal servants. The author pays great attention to the detail of court dress and paints a very vivid picture of 15th century England. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  lollypop917 | Aug 6, 2009 |
A bit too bodice-ripperish for my taste. ( )
1 vote Cariola | May 25, 2009 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:42 -0400)

Anne is a young peasant girl in medieval Britain, whose ability to heal others with her knowledge of herbs brings her to the attention of young King Edward IV, and has unexpected results when she becomes a member of his household.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible