Hidden: A Child's Story of the…

Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust (edition 2014)

by Loïc Dauvillier (Author), Marc Lizano (Illustrator)

Member:krau0098
Title:Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
Authors:Loïc Dauvillier (Author)
Other authors:Marc Lizano (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2014), 80 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:historical fiction, graphic novel, holocaust

Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust by Loïc Dauvillier

I like that it tells the story of anti semitism after world war 2. I loved the drawings and the characters and it reminds me of the movie called A Long Long Holiday. - Max, 7 years old ( )
  GirlCanCreate25 | Apr 17, 2018 |
Only 80 pages, but it made me cry. ( )
  JodiLEK | Mar 31, 2018 |
A gem of a book. My Jewish daughter is starting to explore the history of WWII and the Holocaust. This was an excellent, gentle, book on that subject. It presents an excellent opportunity to open up a dialogue on how a society can open itself up to ignorance and fear, and the importance of standing up against wrongful actions. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
Holocaust, WWII
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
My 10 year old son picked this graphic novel up at the library and wanted me to read it so we could discuss. This is a very well done recounting of the Holocaust from a child’s POV. I was impressed with how well the feel of the era was portrayed while keeping things at a level that children will understand.

As a parent some of the scenes in this were especially touching. Watching as Dounia’s parents tried to make wearing the Star of David a “fun” thing for their daughter and make her feel special even as the world around them was descending into violence. It was sad how even all their efforts couldn’t protect them from the atrocities of that time.

Parts of this book are very sad, but in the end the tone ends up being hopeful. My son really liked it because he said he felt like he understood a lot better how things went then. He mentioned he had never read an account of the Holocaust from a Jewish kid’s point of view and this really brought home to him how scary and awful the Holocaust was.

My son has actually read through this a few more times, he told me he is trying to understand why people would do the types of things that happened in the Holocaust. This book is a great discussion point of an era in history that needs to be discussed with kids so that nothing like that ever happens again. It’s presented in a way that is approachable.

Additionally the graphic novel itself is well put together. The illustrations are well done and the story is easy to follow. The characters are engaging and easy to relate to.

Overall I would highly recommend this graphic novel. It is a very well done accounting of the Holocaust from a Jewish child’s point of view. This is something every parent should talk to their children about and this is a great way to do that. Just be prepared for lots of questions and remember parts of it are sad. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 3, 2017 |

Loïc Dauvillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lizano, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Siegel, AlexisTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"A grandmother shares the story of her experiences in WWII with her grandchild in this graphic novel for young readers"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible