Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the…

by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

4,2972321,948 (4.09)1 / 188
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive. Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize. This is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons. This story will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world. -- Publisher's description.… (more)

English (215)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (225)
This is a frank autobiography of a young woman's quest for education and equality in a country torn apart by war, violence, and religious extremism. While the tone is a bit uneven early in the book, it becomes stronger and more confident when discussing the activist facet regarding women's education. Malala's is a personable voice. I was inspired by her determination to better herself and her country through education. I recommend this book. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Great memoir for teens to read. very accessible with relatable concerns and attributes, regardless of one's cultural background. Lots of ways to connect the book to curriculum, engage in reflective reading, or just get a sense of a non-American culture and perspective. Inspirational. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Nov 22, 2020 |
The book is a strong , inspirational and educational read for both boys and girls . Malala Yousafzai is hero for all in the book it share her fight for not just for women rights but for all human kind. This book will be great when connecting to the Bill of Rights especially when focusing on women rights and activist. ( )
  Haley.c143 | Nov 17, 2020 |
My biggest takeaway from this amazing story was realizing that Pakistan is a place of beauty, beloved as home by the people who live there. Its something they don't let you see often, here in the US. Malala's story is beautiful and eye-opening. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
This book was absolutely riveting! Even though most will already know how it ends (Malala survives), the journey Malala takes you through tugs at your emotions to such a degree that it makes the book nearly impossible to put down because you want to know what happens next.

She gives a beautifully narrated history of her country, her religion, and her family. She provides an in-depth look at the suffering her people went through during the rise of Taliban regime, and the seemingly useless efforts of the military forces fighting them. Her writing gracefully blends the innocence of a child's perspective with the wisdom of an adult. Highly accessible to all audiences, and recommended for teens and adults. ( )
  H4ppyN3rd | Oct 6, 2020 |

Yousafzai, Malalaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamb, Christinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Panjabi, ArchieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the girls who have faced injustice and been silenced. Together we will be heard.
When I was born, people in our village commiserated with my mother and nobody congratulated my father.
Prologue: I come from a country that was created at midnight.
Though we loved school, we hadn't realized how important education was until the Taliban tried to stop us.
The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn't stop our minds from thinking.
Please do not combine abridged editions (including the 2016 Quick Reads edition) with this, the main unabridged work.

I Am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.
-Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,769,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible