I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for…

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the…

by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

3,3232082,453 (4.08)1 / 176

English (196)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (207)
My 13 year old granddaughter recommended this to me and I find myself powerfully moved. The author does a vivid job of describing her life and her passion for education and creates a loving description of her culture and her home. I so wish I'd read this before I'd been mentor to a dozen Pakistani students. I would have been less casual with them and more in awe of the burden and the gift they carry.
The other gift (albeit painful one) which this account gives is a window into how the USA is perceived.
Thirdly, my own understanding of fundamentalism has been informed by encounters with Christian fundamentalists; the Muslim fundamentalists are comprehensible with that background. The only way to bring us to the table to listen to each other, I think, will be learning nonviolence, practicing nonviolence and teaching nonviolence. At the very least, we can read about nonviolence and allow ourselves to be changed by nonviolence. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Very inspirational book about a young woman trying to take her education into her own hands in a country where woman have very few rights. She is actually attacked by the Taliban and yet STILL pushes for her rights and becomes a huge inspiration. I would really recommend teen girls reading this book. I think it would be a great read for girls who are unsure about school or their path.
  RachelLeibiger | Apr 30, 2019 |
I learned a good deal about Pakistan and was happy to meet Malala, an extraordinary girl. It does read much like a teenager's writing as it is, mostly. ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. I have followed Malala on various social media pages and participate in her used clothing fundraiser (I will include information on this in the resource section under comments). I have been following this story ever since Malala Yousafzai was shot and articles about her began to appear in the media. I have owned this book for awhile and I am glad that I have finally been able to read it! It was difficult to read about the attack on her told from her own point of view. Malala is such an inspiration and an excellent role model for students especially young women. Going into this book I already knew quite a bit about her but I loved hearing her first hand experiences about her life. I also enjoyed learning more about the history and politics of Pakistan. ( )
  tatalai | Apr 20, 2019 |
I don’t tend to read memoirs so this is rare for me. Perhaps, I picked this up because of circumstance. I was with my daughter in Topping and Company bookshop in Ely when I chanced upon this book. My daughter Natasha had been looking for travel guides as she’d just accepted a graduate teaching job in South Korea teaching English As A Foreign Language. This got me thinking about the power of education. If she had no education, she couldn’t have hoped to get such a job. With little or no education, her chances of travel and a good job would be limited. How powerful education is in shaping our future and our response to other people. Education helps us reach our goals and broadens our outlook, experience and enjoyment of life. That is why I bought this book. Education should be at the forefront of all we do. Education is the bedrock. Education is liberating. Education rocks.

I Am Malala is a book that everyone should read regardless of their gender, age, or religion. It is informative, moving, and inspiring. Malala’s bravery shines through and there are wonderful examples of her selflessness. I cried in several places; I smiled too. I loved the special bond between Malala and her father, (especially touching and rare given some of the anecdotes that illustrate how women are treated as second class citizens with no voice, education or power.) I enjoyed reading about her family, her fights with her brothers and how her mother grew stronger and more confident too. More than anything I loved the message about education – how it should be available to all regardless of gender. I loved the bravery of this fifteen-year-old to stand up for what she believed in even if that meant risking such terrible danger.

Malala is an extraordinary young woman and an amazing role model, I am so glad I picked this biography up. ( )
  marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |

Yousafzai, Malalaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamb, Christinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Panjabi, ArchieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the girls who have faced injustice and been silenced. Together we will be heard.
When I was born, people in our village commiserated with my mother and nobody congratulated my father.
Prologue: I come from a country that was created at midnight.
Though we loved school, we hadn't realized how important education was until the Taliban tried to stop us.
The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn't stop our minds from thinking.
Please do not combine abridged editions (including the 2016 Quick Reads edition) with this, the main unabridged work.
I Am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.
-Amazon

When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.

Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I AM MALALA is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.

I AM MALALA will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:43 -0400)

When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday October 9, 2012, she almost paid the ultimate price.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,919,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible