A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill

A Clubbable Woman (1970)

by Reginald Hill

This was OK , although I found the outright sexism of the early 70s uncomfortable to read. I'll try a few more as I enjoyed The Woodcutter so much and apparently he experiments with different ideas in later books. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 7, 2014 |
The first in the Dalziel-Pascoe series, introducing Fat Andy in one of his natural habitats -- the local rugby club. Humor, atmosphere, characters, plot -- this book has it all, and is a good introduction to Hill's series. Later on, he does a lot of experimentation with the form, but at this point he was writing in the classic mystery form. Recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
pretty good mystery and Dalziel is as annoying as ever :) ( )
  majkia | Apr 23, 2012 |
This was a recommendation from a patron, actually, who knows my taste in stuff and I was actually surprised by how much I liked it. The characters involved in the murder are truly interesting and the two detectives are likable, almost instantaneously, in their own unique ways. I think my enjoyment of this first book was based on the fact that the story revolved around rugby, which isn't a sport I'm familiar with, but it's a sport all the same. That started the novel off on the right foot and it just got better from there. I quite liked Dalziel and Pascoe -- especially the way they ended up playing off each other as the novel went on. The plot was interesting, I kept trying to guess who the killer was (and got close a few times and figured out, then was like, no that can't be ... and then it was). I will definitely attempt to read more of this series. It definitely fits into my obsession with things created before I was born (aka in the 60s and early to mid 70s). ( )
  callmecayce | Jun 2, 2011 |
Abridged audio adaptation of the first book in the Dalziel & Pascoe series (which I've previously reviewed), on 3 CDs. It's read by Warren Clarke, who played Dalziell in the tv adaptation. This is a good abridgement, which from following along in places on the printed edition I thought cut about half the text while retaining everything needed for the plot, plus a good chunk of the characterisations. Clarke does an excellent job of reading. ( )
  JulesJones | May 2, 2011 |
For Pat
"He's all right. You'll live for ever, won't you, Connie?" said Marcus Felstead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0586072586, Mass Market Paperback)

'So far out in front that he need not bother looking over his shoulder' Sunday Telegraph Home from the Rugby club after taking a nasty knock in a match, Connon finds his wife even more uncommunicative than usual. After passing out on his bed for five hours, he comes downstairs to discover communication has been cut off forever -- by a hole in the middle of her forehead. Down at the club, passions run high, on and off the field.This is a home game for Detective Superintendent Andrew Dalziel who knows all the players, male and female. But Sergeant Peter Pascoe, whose loyalties lie with another code, has a few ideas of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:27 -0400)

Mary Connon was a small-town femme fatale, eager to test her allure on any man between 6 and 60. When she's found dead in her own living room, her husband--the one bloke to whom she never blew a kiss--comes instantly under suspicion. But Andy Dalziel, the gloriously vulgar savant of the Mid-Yorkshire police force, has some other ideas, and all of them center on the local rugby club--the town's social center, and Mary Connon's preferred hunting ground.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,032,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible