A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill

A Clubbable Woman (1970)

by Reginald Hill

Recently added byjohnwbeha, JaynaLG, purdie, defortsi, thomwren, Eyejaybee, private library, InezGard, madcatter

A woman is found murdered in her own sitting room at the beginning of Reginald Hill's A Clubbable Woman, the first in his long-running Dalziel and Pascoe series. Naturally the husband is the first suspect, but the policemen soon learn that the woman had a rather racy history, parallel to that of a younger woman about whom similar rumours circulate. Especially in the Clubhouse of the local Rugby Association, where relationships seem as fluid, and dangerous, as the moves on the field.... I mostly read this because I've enjoyed stand-alone novels by Hill, and I do like the relationship between the two main characters. Of course, this being published in 1970, the level of extreme sexism is somewhat breath-taking to modern readers, and that might end up putting me off the series if it continues for a large proportion of the novels. As of now, though, I enjoyed the story and plotting enough to continue with the series, to find out where it takes us. ( )
  thefirstalicat | May 18, 2015 |
This was OK , although I found the outright sexism of the early 70s uncomfortable to read. I'll try a few more as I enjoyed The Woodcutter so much and apparently he experiments with different ideas in later books. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 7, 2014 |
The first in the Dalziel-Pascoe series, introducing Fat Andy in one of his natural habitats -- the local rugby club. Humor, atmosphere, characters, plot -- this book has it all, and is a good introduction to Hill's series. Later on, he does a lot of experimentation with the form, but at this point he was writing in the classic mystery form. Recommended. ( )
1 vote auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |

I originally read this back in 2000 and I only gave it 2.5 stars then. When the abridged audio CD came my way I thought I'd give it a go, not realising my repeat. It was not a problem, however, as there is not much about this novel that is memorable.

The murder victim is the wife of one of the local rugby team's main players and the whole team is suspect in some way or another.
The senior detective investigating the crime is Dalziel, a sloppy hulk of a man who is at home amongst the beer swilling rugby crowd where this crime is set. His younger side-kick, Pascoe, is less comfortable; he comes from a more middle class background and does not identiy with the rugby scene. The play-off between the two becomes well developed in later novels but at this stage it is in its infancy and does not provide much entertainmant value.
The various characters are interviewed in a fairly routine manner and I was quite glad that my audio CD was the abridged version.

One aspect of this audio CD that did lift it above the run-of-the-mill though, was the fact that it was read by Warren Clarke, himself. He has a highly recognisable voice that instantly launched me into the British TV series that I had enjoyed many years ago.

This is the first book in the Pascoe and Dalziel series and it set the scene for future investigations featuring the two detectives. Written back in 1970, it is decidedly dated, but more recent books by this author have received good ratings so I may give him another go in the future. ( )
  DubaiReader | May 22, 2012 |
pretty good mystery and Dalziel is as annoying as ever :) ( )
  majkia | Apr 23, 2012 |
For Pat
"He's all right. You'll live for ever, won't you, Connie?" said Marcus Felstead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0586072586, Mass Market Paperback)

'So far out in front that he need not bother looking over his shoulder' Sunday Telegraph Home from the Rugby club after taking a nasty knock in a match, Connon finds his wife even more uncommunicative than usual. After passing out on his bed for five hours, he comes downstairs to discover communication has been cut off forever -- by a hole in the middle of her forehead. Down at the club, passions run high, on and off the field.This is a home game for Detective Superintendent Andrew Dalziel who knows all the players, male and female. But Sergeant Peter Pascoe, whose loyalties lie with another code, has a few ideas of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:49 -0400)

Mary Connon was a small-town femme fatale, eager to test her allure on any man between 6 and 60. When she's found dead in her own living room, her husband--the one bloke to whom she never blew a kiss--comes instantly under suspicion. But Andy Dalziel, the gloriously vulgar savant of the Mid-Yorkshire police force, has some other ideas, and all of them center on the local rugby club--the town's social center, and Mary Connon's preferred hunting ground.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,940,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible