Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1) by Talia…

Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1)

by Talia Jager, Julia Crane

3.5 heartsIt has been a little while since I have read anything with faeries, but I decided to give this one a try. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Riley is a young girl who is going to turn 16 soon, and little does she know, her world if going to be turned upside down when the truth about her is revealed.

Riley is a great girl, she is sweet and pretty. She has a boyfriend that she loves and he loves her and wonderful friends. On her 26th birthday her appearance start to change and she doesn’t want to accept it at all. She loves her family, friends and her boyfriend so much she doesn’t want them to be caught up on all of this. When she is taken to the fae world, she shows a determination to get back to her world that was amazing. Riley ending up being quite the little kick ass kinda girl. I really did enjoy her.

A few of other characters were fantastic. Adam is Riley’s human boyfriend, he is caring and seems to really care for her. Kallan is the fae that she is betrothed to, he is sweet, mysterious, and not bad to look at all. It is hard to choose which one to root for. I don’t think I can call it a love triangle, because both of these guys from were very different worlds, but none the less I enjoyed it. Riley’s parents were awesome. They loved her so much, even when they found out the truth.

The world building was a slow build to the truth, and what was really going on with Riley. Riley isn’t just a faery, she is a powerful one that all the fae would want in their corner. The ending left me wanting to know what happens next. And I am looking forward to reading it. Dark Promise is a wonderful start to a series. It has fae, little bit of action, and romance and I say give it a try. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
[b:Dark Promise|15765786|Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1)|Julia Crane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343025776s/15765786.jpg|21469969] first caught my interest because of the beautiful cover. I don't remember that I read any ya or adult paranormal/fantasy novel where main character was a fairy, so of course I was intrigued. This is book for all Tinkerbell fans out there and all who dreamed to have fairy wings when they were a child.

Rylie is perfectly ordinary teenage girl: bored at school and obsessed with her appearance. The only thing that I found interesting about her is that she suffers from OCD so she has all her things organized by size, type, color, purpose. At her sixteenth birthday Rylie transforms into a fairy. Yes, that means wings, pointy ears and everything.

Fairies by Anna Stokes [image source]

The plot of [b:Dark Promise|15765786|Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1)|Julia Crane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343025776s/15765786.jpg|21469969] does not have many surprises, you will find all the usual ya tropes here and you have probably read something similar before. First thing that comes to my mind is Iron Fey series - just with less scary teeth and more sparkly wings.

[b:Dark Promise|15765786|Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1)|Julia Crane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343025776s/15765786.jpg|21469969] does not describe different creatures and inhabitants of fae-world, we only get to know fairies and their society. In fact, the main focus of the book is how Rylie deals with all transformations that happened to her body and her trouble choosing between two hot guys. What, I did not mention this before? Common, you truly did not expect that there will not be a love triangle in this book? Yes, there is one. And the romance is sizzling-hot. Who will she choose? Her good ex-best-childhood-friend boyfriend boyfriend or gorgeous bad-boy fairy Well, you are probably going to have to wait until the series end to find out. My money is on the fairy hottie because he got more character development, so he's obviously author's favorite.

I recommend this book to fans of: ya paranormal novels about fairies, Iron fey series, intense romance stories and love triangle tension/drama.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the blog tour host in exchange for a honest review. This text is also posted on my blog Bookworm Dreams in a little bit more styled edition. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
Actual rating: 1.5

(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

I wish I could say otherwise, but Dark Promise disappointed me despite my lack of expectations (which often saves a book for me).

The main reason why I didn't like this as much as I wanted to was the main character, Rylie. She was spoiled, stubborn, weak, and helpless. I mean, sure, her life was ruined when she learned she wasn't human, but the way she handled it really irritated me. Dare I say, I think human!Bella Swan was even better than Rylie, human or faery. At least Bella didn't annoy me.

Now, as to the helpless part. Rylie was captured by dark faeries because of her "strong" powers - which, I found out, wasn't really that mind-blowingly amazing... - and she only tried to escape once, towards the end of the story. All the while she was thinking "I'm gonna find a way out of here", but I think I misunderstood 'here' as 'away from the dark faeries', when really she just meant 'this suffocating room'. And out of the room she got, yes, but only while her captors took her for walks around their beautiful land, pretty much like a dog on a leash. At one point, she thought that dog part herself, but all she did was whine and act like a kid who was kept away from the candy bar.

So now that I've established my hate dislike for Rylie, it's time I talk about the other things I didn't like about this book. First, the story was slow to take off, but I guess it was nice to see what Rylie's life had been like before she learned of her real identity. Second, the romance with the third side of the love triangle (I'm avoiding a spoiler here) progressed way too fast for me to approve of, but by the end, my heart was already aching for Guy #2. Perhaps it was because his character was more fleshed-out than Adam's, Rylie's human boyfriend.

The neat writing offered some consolation to this book, but, after reading all my rants, it's obvious that I can only recommend this book to those who are immune to annoying main characters and shallow plots. There will be a sequel, but I don't think I'd bother to check that out.

MY FAVORITE PART was, well, none. ( )
  kazhout | Feb 18, 2013 |

Jager, Taliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crane, Juliamain authorall editionsconfirmed

Talia Jager is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible