The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by…

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend (2015)

by Katarina Bivald

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (Micheller7)
    The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan (Micheller7)
    The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy (olegalCA)
    Introduction to Cataloguing Practice by Krishan Kumar (anthoniang)
    anthoniang: I recommend this to first year library and information science students.It does not only teach about cataloguing but provides details on how to do cataloguing practically

English (117)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (123)
I really, really enjoyed this book. I guess it could be called chick-lit, drama and there is even humour in it. Sarah lives in Sweden. Not sure how it happened, but she began a penpal relationship with Amy, a senior citizen in Broken Wheel Iowa. Broken Wheel is almost a ghost town with a few die-hard residents and businesses that do not really make any money. Everyone has moved to Hope, a half hour away. When Amy invites Sarah to visit, she agrees and heads off to America. When she arrives, Amy is dead, but the townspeople want her to stay. They also want her to stay in Amy's house, because that is what Amy would have wanted. The townspeople will not let her pay for anything, groceries, coffee, meals, beer etc. They are also trying to fix her up with Tom, Amy's nephew. When Sarah stumbles upon Amy's library, she comes up with the idea that she will pay the townspeople back by opening a bookstore. That is when things start to happen. The town starts to come alive and the people start to have fun again. Tom, Andy, Carl, Josh, Caroline, Jen, George, John and others round out the cast in this story and they are delightful. A little romance, a little law breading, a lot of friendship and reading, add to this story. By the time I finished this book, I thought of these people as my friends and was rooting for them to have happy endings. This is a wonderful story about people, books and reading and a town that was brought back to life.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Sometimes you can tell when you read a book how much the author loves books. This author loves books. That's always a quality I appreciate.

Sara and Amy connected over books and became penpals who occasionally exchange books and often sent letters.
Amy invites Sara to visit her town Broken Wheel in Iowa.
Sara lives in Sweden, has never left the country and has just lost her job at a bookstore she's worked with for over a decade.
Sara is ready for an adventure and she's about to get one.

When she shows up in Iowa, Amy isn't waiting for her. She quickly finds out that Amy has just passed away.
Now she's in a small town, where she knows not a single soul and has absolutely nothing to do on her visit.

The people in town insist that Sara stay in Amy's house as planned. Soon, everyone in town is being kind to Sara. They want her to feel accepted.

She doesn't know how to pay back their kindness. One day it occurs to her, Amy has left behind thousands of books and also an abandoned store. Sara decides to fix up the store and set it up with Amy's old books.

My one little tiny nit picky problem here? How the heck did Sara know it was ok to sell Amy's books?

Ok, moving on, the town likes the idea despite not being big readers. They support Sara however they can.

Ultimately Sara knows her visa is about to expire and no one, especially Sara herself, wants to leave.

My favorite parts involved Sara and Amy's comments on books and I loved Sara's shelf titles.
I would love to walk into a bookstore to see titles "happy endings" and "unhappy endings". Can we make that happen? :) ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Sara es una sueca, apasionada de la literatura, que intercambia correspondencia y libros com Amy, que vive en BrokenWheel, un pueblo de Iowa. Cuando Sara pierde el trabajo en la librería, decide ir a visitar a su amiga americana con una maleta cargada de libros; cuál es su sorpresa al llegar y encontrarse con que su amiga Amy ha fallecido.
Cuando Sara supera un poco la situación, decide abrir una librería en el pueblo con la enorme colección de libros de su amiga Amy, decidida a descubrir qué novela puede gustarle a cada habitante.
La gente del pueblo hace todo lo posible para cuidar de la 'turista', como la llaman ellos, y poco a poco el pueblo va despertando de su letargo, que conocemos a través de sus personajes y sus historias personales y ponen en marcha un plan para conseguir que Sara se quede en el pueblo de lo más rocambolesco.
Aunque es una novela en el fondo bastante romanticona (me recuerda en ocaciones a las novelas de Bridget Jones o las de Marian Keyes, con sus enredos y situaciones cómicas) destila amor por la literatura, y los personajes, especialmente los habitantes de Broken Wheel, no están creados para ser meros secundarios en esta historia. ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
Review to come. ( )
  lamotamant | Nov 21, 2018 |
As many others have mentioned, I was looking forward to this book and really wanted to read it. I had seen it advertised everywhere and saw that it was a NY Times bestseller, etc.

But I had major issues with this book.

First of all, I have met many nice people in Iowa and they were open and friendly and would give you the shirt off their back. I know this because when there one summer years ago, strangers loaned my husband and I tools to work on our broken down car. Another couple let my hubby shower in their basement bathroom and fed us Subway sandwiches. Now, the characters in Broken Wheel were friendly to an extent to the tourist Sarah, and they wouldn't let her pay rent to anyone for staying in Amy's house, but I don't see them as scheming as to compete with the neighboring town of Hope.

Second, I didn't like the way Amy and Sarah talked about God as though he could be pushed around and that the Bible needed editing for repeating stories and morals.

Thirdly, I didn't appreciate the author's blatant push to make homosexuality seem perfectly acceptable and encourage it among the characters. Perhaps they forgot the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the Bible, for people seem to forget all about it and that history repeats itself. I wouldn't push that agenda for all the tea in China. It's one thing to not treat others disrespectfully, but I certainly wouldn't encourage the lifestyle.

And then on top of this, she writes about Caroline as not knowing what she wants out of life and who cares if she sleeps with a man she doesn't love and would never marry. And that Caroline was supposedly a staunch, boring, rude and judgmental Christian who just throws her principles and morals out the window for a 'good time'. Totally unbelievable.

I could go on, but this is long enough. I kept ready only to see what happened to Sarah, whether she was able to stay in the U.S., or got sent home.
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |

Katarina Bivaldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Menzies, AliceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La mujer desconocida que esperaba en la calle principal de Hope era tan convencional que casi resultaba indignante.
Books 1 ---Life 0 The Strange woman standing on Hope's main street was so ordinary it was almost scandalous.

Once you let a book into your life, the most unexpected things can happen...

Broken Wheel, Iowa, has never seen anyone like Sara, who traveled all the way from Sweden just to meet her book-loving pen pal, Amy. When she arrives, however, she finds Amy's funeral guests just leaving. The residents of Broken Wheel are happy to look after their bewildered visitor-there's not much else to do in a dying small town that's almost beyond repair.

You certainly wouldn't open a bookstore. And definitely not with the tourist in charge. You'd need a vacant storefront (Main Street is full of them), books (Amy's house is full of them), and...customers.

The bookstore might be a little quirky. Then again, so is Sara. But Broken Wheel's own story might be more eccentric and surprising than she thought.

A heartwarming reminder of why we are booklovers, this is a sweet, smart story about how books find us, change us, and connect us.

"Broken Wheel, Iowa, has never seen anyone like Sara, who traveled all the way from Sweden just to meet her pen pal, Amy. When she arrives, however, she finds that Amy's funeral has just ended. Luckily, the townspeople are happy to look after their bewildered tourist--even if they don't understand her peculiar need for books. Marooned in a farm town that's almost beyond repair, Sara starts a bookstore in honor of her friend's memory. All she wants is to share the books she loves with the citizens of Broken Wheel and to convince them that reading is one of the great joys of life. But she makes some unconventional choices that could force a lot of secrets into the open and change things for everyone in town. Reminiscent of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, this is a warm, witty book about friendship, stories, and love" --… (more)

Katarina Bivald is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,510,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible