Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Series: The Last Survivors (1)

3,7723591,381 (4.04)1 / 226
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, kellyholmes)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley, Rawles (JolieLouise)
    After the Snow by S. D. Crockett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (354)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (360)
This story is told through the journal entries of Miranda. An event at the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school changes her world forever. The moon is struck by an asteroid sending it out of its orbit and closer to earth. This event causes massive destruction on earth: tsunamis, earthquakes, flooding, and volcano eruptions. Miranda chronicles her family's struggle to survive this event of untold proportions. She even documents her own selfish thoughts at times even though she realizes that they are selfish. Does her family survive? Does she survive? Is she strong enough and mature enough to make it through this catastrophe?

I think the premise of this book is very interesting; the author did a good job of making the story feel real and authentic. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
A great 'end of the world' story. Some parts were lacking and I found a bit slow but overall and enjoyable read. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
The plot of this is slightly unsettling. It's scary to think of something like this really happening and having to survive. It wasn't a fantastic read, but it does make you want to read the next two books just to see what happens to Miranda, her family, and the rest of the world. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Written as the journal of Miranda, a 16 year old girl living in the small town of Howell, PA, Life As I knew It starts ordinarily enough with Miranda's musing on school and friends and the lack of boyfriends, then almost casually she introduces a piece of news: a meteor is on a collision course to the moon.

Two days later the meteor hits the moon, and something goes terribly wrong: the impact sends the moon off its orbit and into a new one closer to Earth. The pull of this closer moon creates giant tides that wipe the coasts. Tsunamis, thunderstorms and volcanic eruptions ensues. And as the ashes hang over the earth blocking the sun, plants die and the world as we knew it is no more.

Because it is in journal form, what happens worldwide we learn sporadically as Miranda hears it on the radio, but mainly we learn what happens to Miranda, her mother, younger brother and their neighbor. And it is because their life was so normal before, so much like mine that I immersed myself so totally in their predicament and rooted for them as they struggled for food and warmth in their harsh, cold world.

The books are not perfect and the scientific explanations are somehow faulty, but the author has created characters so vivid that you can't but feel for them as if they were your own family.

A haunting story of survival I highly recommend. ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
This book has been one I have loved for years. I have book talked this to middle through high school and have never had a unhappy reader, most have gone on to finish the series. I read this book the first time in early spring when the little leaves on the trees are a neon green color, I was reading along very intent on the book when I took a minute and looked out the window and was startled by the fact it was a beautiful spring day, unlike the very dark gray day I had just left in the book. I think that if you can get that into a book the author sure knows what they are doing! ( )
  DFCLibrarian | Mar 2, 2016 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,810,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible