Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Series: The Last Survivors (1)

3,9273681,311 (4.03)1 / 234
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, kellyholmes)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley, Rawles (JolieLouise)
    After the Snow by S. D. Crockett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (362)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All (368)
I am ZIPPING through this, and when I stop reading to do something else, I have to keep reminding myself that everything in reality is FINE. It's so consuming that I put the book down and am surprised to remember that I have plenty of food and heat and clean clothes and people to talk to and electricity and water . . . The last book that consumed me this way was Stephen King's The Last Walk, back in the late 1980's.

Is it well written? I don't know -- I'm so absorbed that I can't remove myself enough to read objectively.

And really, what bigger compliment can you give to a book? ( )
  MeiraReads | Feb 16, 2017 |
Life As We Knew It begins with the diary entries of sixteen year old, Miranda Day. The whole country is watching TV the night an asteroid hits the moon, knocking it off its orbit and pushing it closer to Earth. Everything in Miranda’s normal life changes. Tidal waves destroy the coastlines while earthquakes destroy the cities. Inactive volcanoes erupt simultaneously worldwide, covering the sky with ash that blocks out the sun. The crops begin to die and starvation is a real problem. Winter comes early and there is no longer any fuel for heaters.

There are a lot of flaws in this book. There's no way astrophysicists would miscalculate the impact of an asteroid hitting the moon. There would be a lot more violence and food stealing than what goes on in this book. The political sniping in the book was annoying. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed reading it. It had a thought provoking plot that didn't incorporate the usual “fight and run” school of worldwide apocalypse. I think that it would certainly be of interest to a lot of teenage readers. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Dec 14, 2016 |
A meteor has crashed into the moon and knocked it out of orbit. The moon is now too big for the sky, and more disasters are to come. A family living in Pennsylvania will have to endure, tidal waves, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, plagues, and unnaturally cold weather. Will they make it? Can scientists put the moon back in place? How long can their food, water, and heat last? Can they survive in the harshest conditions imaginable?

Action packed and full of twists, you can never put this book down. Read on and figure out what happens, how it changes them. Their lives. Their relationships. Their home, and life as they knew it. I rate this book four and three quarter stars. ( )
  PiperP.BG3 | Dec 6, 2016 |
I don't know why this is categorized as YA, unless it's due its teenage girl narrator, and that could prevent some from reading it -which would be a big mistake. The premise, that a highly anticipated event, a large asteroid striking the moon, ends up being catastrophic for everyone on earth, is a fascinating one. The moon loses a big chunk of turf and is completely shaken from its orbit, with disastrous ramifications for the planet. And there are no easy or ironic answers, as there would be on a Twilight Zone episode. It does turn out to be each family for themselves, as, due to tidal shifts and atmospheric dust and contamination, there is no communication access at all nor any easy way to replenish food or water, nor a way to head off a flu epidemic. The reader follows the seemingly hopeless progression towards the death of a rural family - mom, two brothers, and the narrator Miranda - as snow falls in August and darkness reigns over the world.

There are other books in the series, with other teenagers in other settings during the same event - but this one was bleak enough for me, although it was a remarkably vivid and frightening apocalyptic tale, where only the strongest and luckiest might survive. ( )
  froxgirl | Oct 19, 2016 |
I was thinking of one star at the start as the science was sooooooo bad. However the story telling was not so bad so that by the end I can forgive some of the scientific inaccuracies. ( )
  myojencards | Sep 5, 2016 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,642,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible