Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It (edition 2006)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2006), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:sci-fi, YA, fiction, read

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, kellyholmes)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley, Rawles (JolieLouise)
    After the Snow by S. D. Crockett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (373)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (379)
It was an interesting book. A young adult book. It was not a typical apocalypse book. It really made me think about daily life after a major disaster. ( )
  KamGeb | Dec 24, 2018 |
This was an interesting premise where the main character, Miranda, keeps a journal detailing her experience living through an apocalyptic event. The speculation of what would happen if the moon were pushed closer to Earth is definitely interesting and Pfeffer did a good job about being fairly thorough in exploring what exactly might be the changes that would be made on Earth.

Miranda is a relatable character; she cares about school, her friends, and which boys might like her. She has to go through so many changes in order to survive and come to grips with what she thought life would be like versus what she is actually living through helps keep the story interesting and is a theme we can all relate to. We all have dreams for what we think life will be and have to struggle through whatever comes and figure out our new plan when real life doesn’t live up to our dreams, so I found this to be a great concept that is at once relatable and unique to Miranda’s situation.

This subject is full of conflict-worthy scenarios, so overall, this book has a decent amount of intrigue. What frustrated me was how stupid the characters seemed to be with their decisions and also how helpless they made themselves. If anything went wrong, they threw up their arms and gave up rather than worked to find solutions. Also, the ending was rather convenient, given the circumstances and what happened to everyone else. I’m still excited to read the next book in the series to see how the author continues with this and hopefully the characters become more intelligent.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Dec 18, 2018 |
I really didn't think I'd like this as much as I did.

When I first started reading, it took me a while to get used to the writing style. But I did, and it was awesome.

I love how realistically the whole situation was portrayed. The apocalypse, though it's beginning seems outlandish, all makes sense. It wood make sense for a change in the moons magnetic pull to effect the tides and volcanic eruptions.

I love how realistically the WHOLE thing was portrayed, including the characters. You can't expect every character to be noble and strong and fearless in the face of a completely shitty situation, and the characters in this novel were no noble or strong or fearless. I loved how the family unit fractured and came together. I loved how they loved each other.

On principle, I dislike the ending because it was inactive. But in reality, I love the ending because I just really wanted everyone to be okay. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Wow! Pretty scary stuff. The moon is knocked closer to the earth which causes all kinds of natural disasters. The main character is a ordinary girl whose biggest problem is dealing with her parents divorce and getting used to her dad’s new wife. Starvation and freezing to death are quickly becoming a reality for her and her family. This is a terrific survival story. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  ChurchMouse70 | Nov 5, 2018 |
The book is really good and kind of scary, and i wonder if it will happen one day? If you like suspenseful books this is a book for you. ( )
  EvieG.G3 | Oct 18, 2018 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wadden, ChrisCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,757,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible