Life as We Knew It by Susan Pfeffer

Life as We Knew It (edition 2007)

by Susan Pfeffer

3,4703321,534 (4.08)1 / 214
Member:harveybiggins
Title:Life as We Knew It
Authors:Susan Pfeffer
Info:Marion Lloyd Books (2007), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Rob2013

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, snozzberry)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made by Hand: A Novel by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley Rawles (JolieLouise)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (327)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (333)
Life As We Knew It centers around Miranda as she is telling the before and after of a catastrophe through her journal. In the beginning it was so cool. An asteroid was going to hit the moon and you would be able to see it all happen. But there was a miscalculation by the scientists. The asteroid hit the moon too hard, knocking it of it's course, closer to Earth. With the moon closer the gravitational pull is stronger, casing Tsunamis, volcanoes erupting,and the ash from the volcanoes turning the sky a polluted gray color.
This book follows Miranda through this new, scary world as she faces many problems but always comes through. Miranda is always dreaming about simple things that we take for granted, like food, electricity, heat, friends, family, even chocolate. Miranda has to solve problems for her family when she barley has time to do anything for herself. If you're looking for a great book that paints a terrifying picture of what could be, you need to read Life As We Knew It. ( )
  aubreya.g1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
(4.3)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
True confession time: I have a real jones for post-apocalyptic, survival, dystopian fiction. I eat it up! Part of the appeal for me is thinking through how I would react in a similar situation. I'm convinced I would be the last survivor, regardless of the situation. I think I would be very similar to Miranda's mom. Cool in a crisis, I would cash out everything and stockpile food and supplies to help my family survive. In Life As We Knew It, we view everything through Miranda's journal entries. She's immature, and scared, and doesn't always grasp the severity of the situation (naturally--she's 16). Suspend your disbelief as an asteroid hits the moon, moving it closer to the Earth. Chaos ensues. Nature is out of balance. And society as we know it collapses.

Now please excuse me as I go to the store to stockpile gallons of water and food for my pantry. 3 stars. ( )

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:02 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,486,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible