Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It (edition 2006)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

3,364None1,608 (4.09)1 / 211
Member:jacindahinten
Title:Life As We Knew It
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2006), Hardcover, 352 pages

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

(18) 2008 (20) apocalypse (59) apocalyptic (62) audio (17) catastrophe (27) death (24) diary (93) disaster (59) disasters (18) dystopia (82) dystopian (26) end of the world (59) family (124) fiction (191) moon (112) natural disasters (114) Pennsylvania (37) post-apocalyptic (136) read (43) science fiction (313) series (34) starvation (21) survival (263) teen (80) teen fiction (22) to-read (82) YA (203) young adult (210) young adult fiction (46)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, snozzberry)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    World Made by Hand: A Novel by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley Rawles (JolieLouise)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (317)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (323)
Love this book. I am going to use it in my curricula. I know the students will love it. ( )
  Mykake | Mar 23, 2014 |
Really enjoyed it, took a little while to warm up to the main character, but it was well written, and the storyline was amazing.
I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Another book that is good for its own demographic. But another reminder that most YA - Lit is not 'Harry Potter' or 'Hunger Games'. Considering picking up the second book.

It's probably the grown-up in me, but I'd like to see more tragedy. :) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
An asteroid has crashed into the moon, knocking it closer to earth which causes havoc with the weather. Natural disasters such as tsunamis, volcanoes, storms, and floods devastate the world killing millions. The resulting starvation and disease begin to kill even more. Unfortunately, one of the survivors happen to be the dullest most insipid teenage girl ever to draw fictional breath and this girl thinks it would be a good idea to write a diary describing these events. The story is told from the spoiled teenager, Miranda's whining point of view. She begins her struggle to survive by making a mildly interesting journey to a supermarket very early on and helping her mother stock her home with an overabundance of supplies. She continues to survive this global tragedy by spending the rest of the time doing nothing more exciting than complaining about the things she's missing like prom and boys and dates, and of course endless obsessing over food while being as completely and unendearingly clueless as is humanly possible. The food obsession becomes progressively worse when her little brother goes off to baseball camp (because apparently in a post apocalyptic USA, there is still baseball camp) and her mother requests that they begin to skip one meal per day to ration their food stores. I didn't find any of the characters to be even remotely likable. The most disturbing thing about this book is the mere thought that if such a tragedy were to actually happen, the world could be populated with people like this family....and cockroaches. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
I've never felt more grateful for my life and what I have than during/after I read this book. It is the diary of a girl named Miranda who lives through a catastrophic natural occurrence--an asteroid hits the moon and knocks it out of its orbit. Pfeffer does a great job with Miranda's voice--I identified with her, despite my not having gone through anything like she does. You hardly ever think about the things we all just take for granted, like gasoline and electricity, heat, even food and water. I felt for Miranda and her family during each of their daily trials, and I actually had to remember to pull myself back into my own world and remember that I was not in their situation. I felt incredibly blessed.

I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the series--definitely a good start to a trilogy! ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:02 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible