Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It (edition 2006)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

3,5193411,505 (4.07)1 / 216
Member:jacindahinten
Title:Life As We Knew It
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2006), Hardcover, 352 pages

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, snozzberry)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made by Hand: A Novel by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley Rawles (JolieLouise)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (334)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (340)
SO GOOD. read it in one sitting. :) ( )
  ohkamikaze | Feb 11, 2015 |
I find this book to be an amazing start of the trilogy. I love how Pfeffer puts you at the edge of your seat. I couldn't put this book down! It's exciting, and putting myself in Miranda's shoes drenched me in an overwhelming sense of fear and adrenaline. ( )
  Terribear98 | Feb 6, 2015 |
I probably shouldn't have read this book, because I already have an irrational fear that the sun is going to supernova and end the world. So I probably didn't need to read this and have to worry about the moon affecting the weather too. I was totally engrossed in this book, I couldn't put it down. I was so involved in the story when I stopped reading I had to remind myself that it wasn't really happening and that the sun was still visible in the sky. It's scary to think that something like this could really happen, and I'd like to believe that the government has a plan in place if something ever did, but I know that on a massive scale like that there would be no way that any plan could really work. Excellent book, can't wait to read the next two. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
There was a girl named Miranda who lived in Pinsalvania. She was living a normal life when one day on the news that an astriod will the moon out of its orbit. When she went to school after that anouncement everyone was acting the scared and talking about the astiod hitting the moon out is orbit. Miranda's mom came to get her early from school for no reason. The next day was the day that the people said it was the day that the moon will get nocked off its orbit. So everyone thought it was false alarm that it was joke and and a false alarm. When the astriod hit the moon everyone started screeming and panicing that they were giong to die. After a while earthquakes,sunamies, and volcanos started to erupting.Maranda and her family stuck together and never really went out anymore. Maranda's friends and family where all dead. The life that they knew was gone.

I liked this book so much because it espested how she felt and how she was stugling. Even though she wanted to give up she still kept pushing. When her friendsand family died from the disaters she never cryed. She is very srong also whwen her dad came and step mom she stayed stron. Another thing she became very indepentent and responsible. Another thing she kept postive. Thats why I liked this book. ( )
  KendisG.B4 | Jan 9, 2015 |
I did like this book, I would have liked to hear more about what happened outside of their world. ( )
  nancymyers | Dec 18, 2014 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:02 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,234,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible