Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It (edition 2008)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

3,9313701,310 (4.03)1 / 235
Member:kare8456
Title:Life As We Knew It
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer
Info:Graphia (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 360 pages
Rating:***

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Recently added byprivate library, Nathan.AG1, wamie.jells, Sambella, jnoble82, wyojones, RinHanase, bell7, BookGirlR, Cmatha
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, kellyholmes)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley, Rawles (JolieLouise)
    After the Snow by S. D. Crockett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (365)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All (371)
Life As We Knew It is in a journal entry style theme similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid about a 16 yar old girl named Miranda the entries that span over around one year. It goes from her worrying about going to a good college up until she is worrying if she is going to live long enough to see tomorrow.
For the past couple weeks there was a forecast that shows an asteroid is about to hit the moon, but the impact is greater than expected and it knocks the moon closer to the earth but as it does the tides are messed up so there are tsunamis along the coasts and the moon pulls magma out of the ground and volcanoes erupt filling the atmosphere with ash making everything colder.

This shows Miranda trying to survive everyday from a first person point of view and how she feels about everything and how she hates her mom sometimes. Miranda tries everyday to survive
  Nathan.AG1 | Mar 24, 2017 |
hhoolllyy crap this book scared me. not a Stephen King monster kind of scary but still scary to think about how dire things could be and what you have to do to survive. ( )
  jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
When an asteroid is going to hit the moon, nobody took much notice because it wasn't supposed to do much - but, in fact, the asteroid was dense and knocked the moon off course, bringing it closer to earth. Within hours, the tides are wreaking havoc with tsunamis across the world, the electricity is starting to fail, and Miranda and her family find themselves in survival mode.

My reading tends more to the fantasy and teen dystopia side of science fiction, so this post-apocalyptic tale was a different sort of read for me and reminded me a bit of Alas, Babylon. Except, instead of a nuclear war that might have been preventable, we see the aftermath of a natural event that was absolutely no one's fault. I would have to read up on the science behind it, but I couldn't help but wonder if the fallout of one thing after another was an accurate "what could be" or a perfect storm of terrible events that have almost no chance of happening. While I liked Miranda for the most part and enjoyed her growth as she's forced to do things she never would have thought herself capable of, I questioned whether her family's complete isolation was necessary or even beneficial. In a way, the book raised more questions for me than it answered and it's hard to call such a bleak tale enjoyable, though there is some hope throughout, since it was such difficult reading. I'm not sorry I read it, but would only guardedly recommend it. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 15, 2017 |
I am ZIPPING through this, and when I stop reading to do something else, I have to keep reminding myself that everything in reality is FINE. It's so consuming that I put the book down and am surprised to remember that I have plenty of food and heat and clean clothes and people to talk to and electricity and water . . . The last book that consumed me this way was Stephen King's The Last Walk, back in the late 1980's.

Is it well written? I don't know -- I'm so absorbed that I can't remove myself enough to read objectively.

And really, what bigger compliment can you give to a book? ( )
  MeiraReads | Feb 16, 2017 |
Life As We Knew It begins with the diary entries of sixteen year old, Miranda Day. The whole country is watching TV the night an asteroid hits the moon, knocking it off its orbit and pushing it closer to Earth. Everything in Miranda’s normal life changes. Tidal waves destroy the coastlines while earthquakes destroy the cities. Inactive volcanoes erupt simultaneously worldwide, covering the sky with ash that blocks out the sun. The crops begin to die and starvation is a real problem. Winter comes early and there is no longer any fuel for heaters.

There are a lot of flaws in this book. There's no way astrophysicists would miscalculate the impact of an asteroid hitting the moon. There would be a lot more violence and food stealing than what goes on in this book. The political sniping in the book was annoying. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed reading it. It had a thought provoking plot that didn't incorporate the usual “fight and run” school of worldwide apocalypse. I think that it would certainly be of interest to a lot of teenage readers. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Dec 14, 2016 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,248,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible