Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It (edition 2008)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

3,5663431,481 (4.06)1 / 219
Member:kare8456
Title:Life As We Knew It
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer
Info:Graphia (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 360 pages
Rating:***

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, snozzberry)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made by Hand: A Novel by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley Rawles (JolieLouise)
    After the Snow by S. D. Crockett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (338)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (344)
This is an eye opening account of what life would be like after a catastrophic occurrence, in this case, the moon moving closer to the sun. The main character, Miranda, and her family have to endure the changes caused by the moon moving closer such as larger nights, little sunlight, extreme cold, lack of supplies, sporadic electricity, and lack of food and water. This book makes you reflect on how prepared you are for a natural disaster and your ability to survive. ( )
  elmisner | Jul 22, 2015 |
A heartwrenching story full of diverse emotions and genuine character growth and development. The main character is whiny, but she is aware of this fact and tries to better herself. The science is realistic and the plot forces you to question your own priorities. The end bordered on Deus ex machina, but it was good nonetheless. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 28, 2015 |
Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer is a thrilling and heartwarming story about a sixteen-year-old girl named Miranda, her two brothers (Jon and Matt) and their mother who struggle to survive after a meteor strikes the moon, knocking it off-kilter.

An event that was supposed to be exciting and amazing to witness turns out to be a huge disaster, causing volcano eruptions, tidal waves, among many other natural disasters. The events that take place following this life-changing event are terrible, scary, and disturbing.

This story documents through a journal-like perspective how Miranda and her family struggle to survive with the limited resources that they have available to them.

At times this story can be very dark and frightening, while at other times it can be very uplifting.

Pros:
I found the whole premise of this book to be unique and intriguing.
Very good character development. There are a lot of characters in this book but I felt that I grasped their personalities quite well.
I “felt” for these characters. I was saddened when they were in pain and happy when something went right for them.

Cons:
This book can be very repetitive. You only follow so many characters in this book. They do the same things almost daily and it can get quite boring.
I was not a huge fan of the ending, but I may continue reading this series because I’m interested about what might happen next.

If you like end of the world books, this might be for you. It’s not very action-packed considering it only follows one family, but if you’re looking for something a bit more “personal,” pick this one up. Having it told from a journal-type perspective makes it a very intimate story. ( )
  Wonderland_Books | May 2, 2015 |
This review first appeared on One Curvy Blogger

Since I finished this book in 48 hours, I can guarantee Life As We Knew It has that un-put-down-able quality that we all look for in a novel. While this one unearthed a mixed bag of emotions for me, I would be lying if I said the writing was anything but superb. Thankfully, I picked up the second book in the same library sale that I bought this one and both of them for a buck total! And you can bet my book hoarding obsession that I will be reading the second story just as soon as I can cram it in my daunting to-read schedule.

THE WRITING
If you’ve seen other reviews of Life As We Knew It floating about the book community, you’ve probably realized that the book was written in the style of diary entries, from the prospective of sixteen-year-old Miranda. Since it is written in such a subjective point of view, the characters could be described as one dimension, but I disagree. Sure I’m introduced characters colored by the opinions of a teenager who has a pretty damn good excuse to be mad at the world, but Pfeffer (the hardest last name you will ever spell) delivered complex enough characters to entertain me and connect with as a reader. I also liked that the diary entries reminded me a lot of reading The Diary of Ann Frank in the seventh grade. I loved the experience and cannot wait to see what else this author has in store for me.

THE STORY
If you’re like me and love an apocalypse-themed novel, you know most of them weren’t written to be light and fluffy reads (unless they are romance novels disguised as apocalypse themed – that’s a different genre altogether) so I expected some less-than-pleasant emotions to run high. I didn’t expect that I would grow so connected to these characters that it was excruciatingly tough to read about their train-wreck of an existence after the meteor alters the moon’s gravitational pull in such a simple way as to hit it at the wrong angle and tilt the moon just a bit closer to the Earth than necessary.

All the sudden (but at a slower pace than usual when it comes to apocalypse themes fiction) tsunamis are eating away at every coastline in America and all over the world. Smaller countries surrounded by ocean are disappearing, benign volcanoes are suddenly forced into erupting. Some they didn’t even know existed made an appearance thanks to the moon’s stronger-than-normal gravitational pull. People are dying by the thousands and it seems so real and so possible that this could happen, it gave me chills to read about … I think I even dreamed about it last night.

The only thing that bothered me in the way of world building is that it was purposely sketchy. What I mean is, because of all the natural disasters cropping up on every inch of the Earth’s surface, it makes it kind of difficult for the characters to find reputable information. Nobody has any real facts – except that people are dying and everything is chaos. The world is still spinning, but not in the same way it has for thousands of years – or ever again. You expect the power and gas shortages and the food to disappear rapidly, but you’d expect at least one person to know what the hell is going on and how to fix it – right? I mean, every time I read a zombie story, there is either someone at fault or someone working behind the scenes to find a cure, even if nobody knows why it happens, some one knows something, but not in Life As We Knew It. And besides … How do you find a cure for the moon tilting closer to Earth? You don’t.

Generally, I like my endings tidy and happy or at least some closure to satisfy me. Life As We Know It doesn’t have the satisfaction of a tidy ending, no matter how thankful I am that it ended the way it did. So while I cried tears of relief for ending the way it did (you had to be there, quit laughing at me!), I still had a knot in my stomach and I still had a couple unanswered questions that will undoubtedly never be answered in the next book. And you guys know how I like my questions answered!

THE CHARACTERS
My tug-of-war feelings for the main characters was my biggest problem with this book. The narrator is a 16-year-old girl stuck in the middle of one older brother and one younger brother, with another sibling on the way from her dad’s new wife. She reminds me a lot of myself – probably why even though I was hard on her and could see why other readers hated her, I could understand her.

For one, she is without a doubt a teenager and therefore ruled by her emotions, not logic. She knows the world will never be the same, but she was in mega denial that everything will be back to normal next year. So did she come off as whiny and spoiled in some parts? Hell, yes! She had a lot of moments that I wanted to deck her, however when I think back to my own awful teenage days (I’m saying this as a borderline 20-year-old, but I’m still a teen until September 13th), I wasn’t always so fun to be around. In fact, there are days my family still has to warn people ahead of time when to stay out of the line of fire. Factor in that Miranda is having to make some god awful choices in the name of survival, well … I don’t hate her for being a whiny brat half the time. Though I wish I could have smacked her around a little!

I had a harder time respecting Miranda’s parents, to be honest. One of them doesn’t even stick around to help raise them in the midst of an apocalypse and the other would sacrifice the others to save just one. Maybe I can’t judge because I’m not a mom, but you’d think for parents who claim they love their kids equally they would fight to keep them all living! I know my mom would.

THE END
You guys were so, so right. This book really is one of a kind, even more so than I expected – especially since it was written in 2006, before the dystopian/apocalypse craze! I had a few complaints (mainly about the characters) but I enjoyed myself and would read it again if I had the time and stomach lining to spare. Everybody should try this series, especially those science fiction fans out there! ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Apr 25, 2015 |
What would you do it the mood was sudden hit by an Asteroid and moved out of it orbit? Life as you know will never be the same. Could you survive? ( )
  lindamamak | Apr 10, 2015 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,410,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible