Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It (edition 2008)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

3,7053511,414 (4.05)1 / 221
Member:kare8456
Title:Life As We Knew It
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer
Info:Graphia (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 360 pages
Rating:***

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (JolieLouise)
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (EmJay, kellyholmes)
    EmJay: apocalyptic speculative fiction with teenage protagonists
    The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe (JRlibrary)
    JRlibrary: Both books deal with events that alter the way society works, and force people to either pitch in and help, or become selfish predators who care only for their own survival. Both are a bit slow to begin with, but build a very realistic portrayal of human behavior.… (more)
    World Made by Hand: A Novel by James Howard Kunstler (ahstrick)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: John Marsden's YA classic of survival and growing up during WWIII is sure to please.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (francescadefreitas)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (kaledrina)
    Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (Aquila)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (KMAnderson)
    KMAnderson: Another view of how people survive civilization-threatening (or -ending) disasters.
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (chazzard)
    How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times by James Wesley, Rawles (JolieLouise)
    After the Snow by S. D. Crockett (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Earthquake 2099 by Mary W. Sullivan (bookel)
    Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Ashfall by Mike Mullin (kaledrina)
    Trapped by Michael Northrop (kaledrina)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A great book about a teen girl dealing with tragedy, with a strong first-person voice.

English (346)  German (4)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (352)
Wow, this is a scary freaking book. The moon is hit by a meteor (this is not unexpected) - what is unexpected is that it had a larger mass than anticipated, and the meteor knocks the moon out of its orbit. This has major repercussions on earth, with earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes taking place, and day-to-day life falling apart as a result. See through the eyes of 16 year-old Miranda as she recounts in her journal how her and her family and friends lives in rural PA changes are changed forever.

This was a seriously intense book. I am making my husband read it right now and he is paranoid beyond belief, wanting to go to Costco to stock up for whatever natural disasters (or man-made ones) are ready to happen. ;) Recommended, especially for fans of SF in the dystopian genre or maybe even people interested in some of the effects that peak oil might bring about. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
An interesting premise, skillfully handled. It's YA, but adults will enjoy it, too. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
The book stayed with me for several weeks after I read it. One of the better futuristic "what if" books. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
I listened to this in audiobook form and thought it was great. Engaging, interesting and the story is sticking with me even now several weeks later. ( )
  cyrenaz | Jan 22, 2016 |
The book I am reviewing today is life as we knew it. I believe this book deserves four stars because it was a thrilling book that had you keep reading until the end. Basically the book is about an asteroid hits the moon and pushes it closer to earth. Everyone at first thought this was awesome. Until the power stopped working,tsunamis and tornadoes started showing up out of nowhere, and volcanoes exploding killing lots of people. The main character in this book's name is Miranda. Miranda and her family (through this whole book) try to survive together by finding food and avoid any diseases that can kill them. The book ends with the family thankful they survived unlike others which leads up to the next book.
I liked this book because the style of the writing was in diary format. Which kept you reading and reading till you were done. It also has a good plot and theme but I sometimes get paranoid about things. It also ended in a cliffhanger it ended in a cliffhanger but I don't think I will be able to read it. That is why I am giving it four and a half stars. Otherwise I like it because the characters seemed really realistic and they acted like a person would act if something like this happened to earth. Overall good book if you like action, mystery, and sadness. ( )
  Paris.Hudson | Jan 21, 2016 |

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauer, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marci Hanners and Carol Pierpoint
May 7

Lisa is pregnant.
It was like one of those lists on the radio to let you know which schools were having snow days. Only instead of it being school districts in the area, it was whole cities, and it wasn't just snow. (24)

No shops. No TV. No Electricity. No Daylight. No idea if your family is alive or dead. Could you survive? When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152061541, Paperback)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

Veteran author Susan Beth Pfeffer, who penned the young adult classic The Year Without Michael over twenty years ago, makes a stunning comeback with this haunting book that documents one adolescent's journey from self-absorbed child to selfless young woman. Teen readers won't soon forget this intimate story of survival and its subtle message about the treasuring the things that matter most—-family, friendship, and hope.--Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

Through journal entries sixteen-year-old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,072,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible