Dover Park by Bruce Fottler

Dover Park

by Bruce Fottler

I really loved this book ... until the last few chapters. It was an intriguing story with great characters and I loved the mysterious element of it. The end brought in an unexpected twist that sort of ruined the feel of the overall story for me. Still an enjoyable read, recommend if you like being taken by surprise. ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | May 29, 2017 |
The Moreau's are well-respected members of their community. Their lives are happy and peaceful. But a mysterious visitor will change all of that. While trying to find answers for this person's sudden appearance, a decades-old drowning is looked at a little closer and will lead to shocking discoveries.

This book is filled with mystery and twists. It kept me guessing until the end and I wasn't disappointed. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
This was an interesting book. I really enjoyed the mystery of it, and just when i thought i had it all figured out, it changed direction. The ending was definitely unexpected, and normally it would get extra points from me (because you don't see it coming), but at this instance i did not like the sudden change of direction. Personally i think that if it had ended 3-4 chapters before, it would have been better. ( )
  jenny_acc | Mar 9, 2017 |
Well, gosh. I'm giving this book 3 stars even though it was very disappointing in the end. That must say something about the development of characters and the movement of the plot. It is presented as a true mystery, i.e. "who dunnit" or "who is it" or "whose is she." There were plenty of dramatic twists and questions that had me totally involved in trying to guess the outcome. That's what kept me reading: I really wanted to know. But the outcome was the biggest of many problems with this book. It was such a let -down (I'm talking about the first of several successive outcomes here) that I actually laughed when it arrived on the page. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say that after a huge build-up, it was a slap in the face. More or less a deus ex machina.

After that first plot disappointment, the author did actually pick me up and put me back on the scent trying to figure it out again, but that's where everything began to fall apart. This kind of bait and switch dance might work in a police drama on TV because you don't have time to stop and think how impossible it is. But within a novel, we're paying attention. Taking a character back 20 years and making a major dynamic shift in his/her life story can't be done without it showing in the present. As a writer, I know that fiction requires a careful outline of character and story lines before you fill in the words. In this case it seemed as though the author started off with an idea and kept tacking stuff onto it until -- for me anyway -- it was a big mess.

Keeping i mind I did give it a generous 3 stars, it seems important to point out a certain lack of polish in the dialogue. There were repetition of descriptors, awkward construction of sentences, and lack of consistency in the speech patterns of the characters; although I believe I have figured out that the embarrassing insertion of the word "like" into practically all of the girl's sentences was not the author's attempt at actual teenage speech but really his character's attempt at teenage speech (we find out later she is much older). Okay, so throw in a couple of misplaced apostrophes and I'm done griping about the mechanics.

All in all, Fottler is not a bad writer. He just left too many loopholes for me. If you go back into a story after it ends, you should be able to see some foreshadowing that you maybe missed in the early action. I don't see much, if any. And when you spend the last 15% of the book having the characters all come clean and discuss their plot at length in language that should be reserved for narration, not dialogue, it's just annoying. Think Perry Mason. ( )
  CherJo | Mar 3, 2017 |
I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. And it's hard to do a review without spoilers for this book.

Others found this a more entertaining book than I (that being said, I did finish the last third all at once). My head is spinning from the double crosses, a miracle, and the whole plot-as-a-sub-plot. 3--1/2 stars for me.

Teenager Rachael comes home to find her life upside down: her father Jim had married and had children, left his alcoholism behind, and didn't even know her, all since yesterday. Although ultimately the reader understands, that premise distracted me. A detective brother and a cousin are also helping to figure out where she came from, who her parents really are -- that part was okay -it's all done behind the scenes which makes you wonder who is lying It's explained away as a miracle, which is eventually accepted. (not by me) But then the story takes a sharp turn and we find out Jim is not who or what we think. And then it's the brother. Then the wife. Then more.
Technically, some of the writing was seems off, often stilted by choosing awkward vocabulary words: "traffic was accentuated by an accident." "His gaze stopped on [a book] that was noticeably less dusty than the rest, as it was probably consulted recently." (Enough to put off this former English teacher). ( )
  geepee56 | Feb 16, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Bruce Fottler's book Dover Park was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Bruce Fottler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,176,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible