Shimmer: The Rephaim, Book 3 by Paula Weston

Shimmer: The Rephaim, Book 3 (edition 2016)

by Paula Weston (Author)

Member:ZaraD.Garcia-Alvarez
Title:Shimmer: The Rephaim, Book 3
Authors:Paula Weston (Author)
Info:Tundra Books (2016), 418 pages
Tags:to-read

Shimmer: The Rephaim, Book 3 by Paula Weston

Thank goodness I don't have to wait for the next book to arrive. ( )
  xelaflores | Jul 8, 2017 |
SHIMMER is Book 3 in the epic series THE REPHAIM — epic in the sense that it deals with angels, demons, and the fight between Good and Evil. It's possible to read this volume by itself, but readers are well advised to start with book 1 because the premise Gaby is struggling with is better explained in that volume.

The plot is exceptionally quick moving and graphically violent, with wildly swooping emotional drama and heroics — and it works. Nineteen-year-old Gaby is a strong, appealing protagonist. If you enjoy fantasy and don't mind a little gore, SHIMMER is a great pick.

Read my complete review in RESOURCE LINKS 21.4 (April 2016).
  laVermeer | Jun 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to say, I hadn't read the first two books when I got Shimmer. I instantly bought the other two as eBooks, and I was so pleased by them! Paula Weston has an amazing writing style that makes you want to read her forever. Of the first three books (which are the ones I've read), my favorite book is the first one. However, Shimmer was a really good book, too. I may have given it a better rating if it hadn't been because I felt it a little bit more difficult to read than the other books in the beginning. On page 100, I found myself being sucked in it again, though, so I'm eager to read the next book, which I already bought.
A really recommended series, with great characters, a solid plot, and a writing style that makes you fall in love. ( )
1 vote LiindaSnow97 | Apr 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For some reason I devoured the first two books in two days but this one took me over a week to finish. I just found it hard to really get into. (Maybe in part because I read the other two as ebooks?...) Don't be fooled by my lack of enthusiasm though. There was so much action and so many things happened in this one. Taya and Rafa are still being held and tortured in the iron room by the Gatekeepers. Dani and Maria make an appearance in SANCTUARY! And the ending leaves you in sooooo much suspense. Like....monumental revelation (hint hint) and surprise, yet nothing definite. I impatiently await the next book. ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 24, 2016 |
4.5/5 Stars

I wrote in my review of Haze that the plot had taken a more serious turn than the first novel, that continues here in book three. This book suffers in comparison to it's predecessors for one major reason which is Rafa's absence. It makes a huge blow to the action and comedy that have been built up in Shadows and Haze which Shimmer can't make up for. This book really illustrates how much his character means to the plot as well as the other characters. The vacancy felt is honest and stirring. If, as a reader, I didn't feel his loss so strongly, there would be no reason to care about him. His lack of presence is what makes this book so serious that it's painful. It was a necessary move, the plot is not at all hindered by it, in fact, it's the main reason this book is able to keep pace with the other two books, because you find yourself keeping track of how long Rafa is gone and that time is running out on him. Part of me, wants to rate this book lower than Shadows and Haze but it's written well, I like the plot, and the fact that Rafa's truancy affected me so much is a huge testimony to its brilliance. ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |

Gaby thought her life couldn't get more complicated. She's almost used to the idea that she's not the teenage backpacker she thought she was. She can just about cope with being one of the Rephaim--a 139-year-old half-angel--whose memories have been stolen. She's even coming to grips with the fact that Jude, the brother she's mourned for a year, didn't die at all. But now Rafa--sexy, infuriating Rafa--is being held, and hurt, by Gatekeeper demons. And Gaby has to get the bitterly divided Rephaim to work together, or Rafa has no chance at all.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paula Weston's book Shimmer was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Paula Weston is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,817,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible