Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

Firefight

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Reckoners (2)

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
How to describe "Firefight?" Maybe like this: I hated setting this book down, but life is not free of responsibilities. When it ended I immediately wanted to buy book 3.

Firefight is book two of the trilogy about a group of rebels known as The Reckoners. The Reckoners were formed to fight back against the Epics, a group of people suddenly granted superpowers by a force known as Calamity. The problem with these super-charged people is that whenever they use their powers, their souls grow dark. Not a good thing for those around them, who suddenly become an annoyance, and therefore disposable.

Book Two follows the team of Reckoners after one major battle concludes (in book 1). This time, they are drawn to what used to be New York, now called Babilar, which is run by an Epic who has flooded the city, a city mysteriously lit by glowing neon paint.

The action is fast paced from start to finish. There is no foul language and nothing sexually explicit. If I had to give a criticism of the book it would be that it ended very suddenly, but the author does want us to read book 3, so it's hard to complain too much.

416 pages. ( )
  BrannonSG | Jan 26, 2019 |
The second volume of Reckoners trilogy. After killing the tyrant of Newcago (formerly Chicago), the group of Epic-fighters tries to bring life in the city back to normal, but someone sends new and new Epics on their turf. So, it’s time to export the anti-Epic revolution to on the Broken states!

From the steel gloom of Newcago the Reckoners move to the city formerly known as New York and now named Babylon Restored or Babilar for short. It is another striking image, the city it half submerged in water, illuminated by graffiti and magic fruits. Once again the book is true to its comics roots.

Fast paced, funny, with some surprisingly good dialogues. Great for relaxation and escapism
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
What was cute in the first novel with the lead character being so bad at metaphors becomes horribly redundant in the second novel. Lost a whole star for that stupid, overused nonsense. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Firefight was stupendous.

With Steelheart dead, NewCago is under the Reckoners control but lately there have been a few Epics who have come with one thing in mind: kill the person who took down Steelheart. Why are so many coming and for what reason??

They soon learn the reason and travel to Babylon Restored in search of the High Epic, Regalia. Things aren't as they seem, of course, as there are a lot of Epics in the city and Regalia has invited Obliteration there to, well, obliterate Babylon Restored. Enough about the plot; anything more would be spoilers.

This book is amazing, epic, phenomenal and anything else that comes to mind along those lines.

David is one of the best heroes I've read in a long time. He is brave and selfless, but also reckless and impulsive. David has grown immensely from the boy who wanted nothing but revenge to a young man who wants to help people, no matter who they are! He has had many close calls with Epics since joining the Reckoners, but Regalia and her posse take him to the brink.

Sanderson also introduces a few more characters, including Val, Excel, and Missy. Missy is another awesome character with her upbeat attitude. Then we have the High Epics of Babylon Restored: Regalia, the self appointed Queen of Bablyon Restored; Obliteration, who has already destroyed Houston, San Diego and Albuquerque; and Dawnslight, the mysterious Epic that the local people seem to pray to.

Sanderson continues to throw twists and turns at every opportunity. We learn a little more about Calamity, and we also learn more about Prof and Firefight. Sanderson's propensity for weaving a tale that you can immediately dive into is phenomenal!

Firefight was an action-packed, intense and emotional read. One of the things that captured me were the moral arguments being presented. The Reckoners were hunting Epics simply because they were Epics, without a thought of the person being hunted. This presents a conundrum for David and Prof, who debate and argue throughout the book.

I listened to the audio and again MacLeod Andrews did an amazing job. He portrays each character perfectly, pulling the listener into the story.

Looking forward to the next book in the series, Calamity! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
Holy wow, this book was fantastic! The story is extremely gripping and I just couldn't put it down. David's metaphors are still annoying as all hell, but I didn't really mind them this time.

The characters this time around were very interesting. Mizzy annoyed me a little at first due to her seemingly always upbeat and almost careless, personality, but she grew on me towards the end. Some of her dialogue seemed a bit forced at times though. I just plain didn't like Val. She was always cold. Exel was fantastic and seemed like this Reckoner Cell's version of Cody. His constant reference to funeral things was very amusing. His death hit me hard. I had grown to really like him and am thankful that his end was quick at least. Dawnslight's identity definitely threw me for a loop, although it does explain in a way why Babilar is the way it is.

HOLY CRAP! CALAMITY IS AN EPIC WHOSE POWER IS CREATING EPICS?!?

The character development where Megan is concerned was quite enjoyable as well. The revelations about her and, together with David, about the Epics in general made my jaw drop. David was exceptionally stupid where she is concerned though. He abandons caution (and his team) to the winds in order to even see Megan.

The final confrontation in this book was very well-written and had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. My heart aches for Prof though. He was such a good person and now has finally been overtaken by his powers. I hope that David and the Reckoners are able to stop him before it is too late.

One technically minor thing that I am glad about in the end of this book is that David was able to (even remembered to!) warn Cody and Abraham back in Newcago about Prof. Hopefully they GTFO before Prof gets there.

On a related note: the only thing I missed while reading this book is Cody. His personality is so funny, but I am glad he was out of the way.

The final (?) confrontation in this series looks to be very promising. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nathan Goodrich,
A dear friend who was patient enough
To read my books when they were bad.
I watched Calamity rise.

"David and the Reckoners continue their fight against the Epics, humans with superhuman powers, except they may have met their match in Regalia, a High Epic who resides in Babylon Restored, the city formerly known as the borough of Manhattan"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,908,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible