The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una…
Cardassia Prime is home to a prideful people who, for centuries, forged alliances with those they believed would strengthen them and their place in the Alpha Quadrant, and expanded their empire at great cost to other worlds. For generations, dissenting voices were silenced by either fear or an early grave. When their wartime ally, the Dominion, suddenly turned on them, seeking to transform Cardassia into a tomb for every last member of their race, their old adversary the United Federation of Planets put an end to the carnage, and even now works to help rebuild Cardassia Prime. To celebrate this alliance, the Castellan of the Cardassian Union is to welcome the Federation president to Cardassia Prime. As a symbol of this deepening friendship, the U.S.S. Enterprise E is tasked to carry the Cardassian ambassador to the Federation back home. For his part, Ambassador Elim Garak is working with Captain Jean-Luc Picard to oversee the diplomatic reception that will commemorate the last of Starfleets personnel finally leaving the homeworld. However, there are malevolent forces at work, who even now strive to restore Cardassia to its proper place and glory, and are willing to do anything to achieve their goal.… (more)

This is the kind of undemanding read that's ideal for those times when you're waiting for a delayed flight in an airport—but the picture of Cardassian politics in general, and the manoeuvrings of Elim Garak in particular, that it presented was a little too straightforward for me to really buy. ( )
  siriaeve | Jun 19, 2019 |
Good story

I enjoyed this story. I need to finish watching DS9. Maybe then I will understand this more. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  Sonja-Fay-Little | Jan 24, 2019 |
Overlapping the 1st book of the Fall in time. This is told from the point of view of Cardassia. I always loved Garak, so it was great to get so much of him and his thoughts. Garak writes to Dr. Bashier. Some letters are not sent, which reveal much more than he could say any other way. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jul 2, 2017 |
If you're a fan of Garak from Deep Space Nine, you'll really enjoy this book. I'm a big fan of this character and really liked it. The only thing keeping it from 5 stars for me was the secondary story, which actually became the primary story for a large part of the book, revolving around the murder of a Starfleet officer on Cardassia. While there needed to be 'something' to bring certain players into light, I felt that this story dominated more than it should have and actually took away from the book a little bit.

I'm also a little confused by the whole "The Fall" story arc of novels so far. This one, I thought, would revolve more around the TNG characters, based on the blurb on the back cover and the fact that the Enterprise is on the cover. In fact, though, Garak is the principle character in the book. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Dec 2, 2014 |
My dear Doctor,

I was sorry not to see you on your last trip home, but by all accounts it was a hasty visit, and my own availability was also sadly limited at the time.

Una McCormack is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,865,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible