The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

The Purpose Driven Life (2002)

by Rick Warren

The Love Dare by Stephen Kendrick (jlynno84)
    The Blessing of Favor: Experiencing God's Supernatural Influence by Kate McVeigh (jlynno84)
    Messiah to the Messed Up - Because I'm a mess, you're a mess, and we all need a Messiah by Sue Ciullo (elbakerone)
    Living without a Goal: Finding the Freedom to Live a Creative and Innovative Life by James A. Ogilvy (bertilak)
    bertilak: These books contradict each other; you may not like both of them, but it is interesting to get different points of view.
    The reason-driven life : what am I here on earth for? by Robert M. Price (bertilak)

English (99)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (101)
I am a non-Christian but even I can tell one doesn't need a book to tell that God is loving. God will forgive us. be honest with God. be grateful and loving. Do not resent.
who needs a book to tell us this? (unless you are a kid?)

Though there are some good points, I hardly doubt if one can internalize the ideas. There are little examples or interesting situations at all.

To sum up: The purpose driven life is telling us to serve God. It is preachy.

What's worse is that the author seems to believe he is a Know-it-all. He talks like everything he wrote is correct like a Gospel. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
What on earth am I here for? What is the meaning of life? What is my purpose? Have you ever asked these questions to yourself? These are no way easy questions. It makes you look deeper within yourself for you are searching the true purpose of your birth in this world. I have asked these questions plenty of times in the last few years, but never found a satisfying answer. It's not like I hadn't ask these questions to anyone. A number of religious people I used to surround myself with or I came across I shot two or many of my latent doubts, queries and suggestions to be overlooked said the same thing without listening to me wholly and few stood to differ .

I ignored the people who sounded too preachy, proud and confident without proofs of being them disciplined servants of God. Even the old has to grow up and ask themselves where they really stand with him. Hypocrisy must be replaced with sound judgement and meditating on the words of God by turning away from Satan. As a Christian by birth, answering the questions of a younger person who has a thirst for knowledge need to be considered because the religion promises eternal life. All religion does, but I am not born into all of them. What exactly is the will of God?

Most Christians said, do not criticize or blame the Lord for creating you. He has given you life for a reason so don't you ever find fault with his intentions. My religious preacher said, do not doubt God's plans for you and he knows what is best for us and it is not wise of you to say he loves to play games. He always knows what we need and God created us in his likeness and we are more valuable than animals. I must agree, my opinion about the Bible was my partial understanding of injustice done to righteous people.

Another spiritual person who I connected on social network told me, it is normal to have lots of questions and humbly excused himself, he is not the right person to help me understand God better. He advised me to ask God itself and let him allow me to grow in spiritual wisdom. Third person said, just go with the flow whatever life offers embrace it. To say the least, I was baffled by all their answers and will I not find a convincing answer in this lifetime?. Keeping a blind faith is different from coming to a greater understanding with the Lord by getting closer to him in a friendly manner and guard us from all that is evil. If you fear the Lord or think about not questioning his motive in your life, how can you involve yourself fully by submitting to him in the wider sense?

Each of us is unique and God has wired us to think differently. God created us for his own pleasure, not vice versa, Pastor Rick says. If we have problems with God, all we have to do is fight with him. He is the one who created us, would he not know what we want from him? He never said we will experience heaven on earth. That is why he created the heavens, different from earth. Pastor says "Life is a test, life is a trust, and life is a temporary assignment. These ideas are the foundation of purpose-driven living". God tests us whether we are capable of overcoming the problems and become a more responsible human like himself we simply have to put trust in his words to attain eternal life that's why he is preparing us on earth. If we want to experience heaven on earth, why did he create a heaven?

The crucial question, are we worthy of going to heaven? Our pains and sufferings are all needed for us to grow and mature. We are not here on earth for nothing. Our birth is no accident. Even before our mother conceived us, he had us in his mind. Our birth country, place, family, facial features, complexion is a custom made design by God himself. He could have made everyone look the same by being lethargic, he took great pains to make everyone different. If everyone looks alike, will it not cause confusion? He went to great lengths to sculpt us. God is the designer of our life and only he knows what our purpose is. If we are not able to find it, we should just ask him. Will he reject us? Definitely no. Then his purpose of creating us doesn't make sense.

The book can be criticized very well by philosophers, scholars, writers, scientists, etc., but the point I want to stress upon is that if we keep on arguing, we will never understand the meaning of life and we need to let go of our futile thinking and come to grips with God's grace upon us alone. If there is no God, how our first parents landed on earth? It's a question that needs no pondering. He turned a murderer Moses into a leader and a coward named Gideon into a courageous hero. Isn't that great? We don't have to investigage it is true or not. What is right about God, he is capable of doing miraculous things. If we ask with a pure heart, he will grant us our every wish. We can be imperfect, but cannot be insincere.

Pastor Rick has a wisdom that is enough for the whole world to consume and take delight in. There are people who will disagree with the premise, I must say there are certain things in the bible and also the pastor's views, I too was finding it hard for me to accept. I don't want to pinpoint everything but let me say just one. In the family tree of David, Jesus was born. David committed adultery with Bethseba. In his line, some of the men and women lived that are quoted in the bible sin especially sexual sin. Jesus hails from a family who committed sexual sins.

As King Solomon said, "God will bring every deed into judgement, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil". Why God chose David's family for Jesus to be born? Because he was a faithful servant who was special to him. Wasn't Noah better than David? After God wiped out the corrupt people through flood, Noah's family multiplied and everyone of us comes from the family tree of Noah. Even if it is so, Noah was more obedient than others in the Bible. Why God said, Jesus, the son of David not Noah ?

Life is no joke. Pastor Rick is a remarkable author who has checked the pulse of millions of believers and written this book in a way that gives us renewed hope and faith to get to where we belong-heaven. In this book, he has discussed so many good things and I would say, the first half was more awe-inspiring and motivating than the latter half to make our short stay on earth relevant. Overall, his words are energizing and hits the sweet spot in the heart and mind of the readers who are spiritually inclined.

I am really thankful to Preeti, a good friend of mine for giving me this brilliant author's work for me to read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and was overwhelmed by some of the answers found . It was insightful and it was as if Pastor Rick found in which part of my life I was struggling the most. What God wants out of my life is a question that was bothering me for a long time and I found answers inside the book indirectly. Jesus's spirit touched my soul.

All my life, I desired an ascetic life, still was reluctant to become a nun. I wouldn't risk myself to be restricted by Catholic rules and regulations. I don't have to read the bible page by page for I know which Lord I am serving and would live and worship him in my own way. This was favored by God. I found my calling when I was studying 8th grade. Tested by God at different points of life, I came out as a winner in many cases. When I was studying in 9th grade, a 12th grader a very handsome, fair skinned, tall neighbor who I have never spoken to but his relatively younger sister, a 5th grader with whom I used to play tennis with told me her brother wants to speak to me.

This incident happened before Valentine’s Day that is on February 13th. This girl and I went to the same tutor and I remember criticizing her lot of times. I got afraid that this is why he called me to warn me. I cut the ties with the girl that day itself, told her not to come to my house and never played with her. It was silly. After that, God tested me a reasonable number of times to see how I resisted temptation and he helped me shape up though it was not obvious to others.

When I was doing my UG, two girls eloped with their boyfriends after having a conversation with me. The first girl borrowed money from me by fooling me. The second girl constantly asked me to join a computer course and was overly friendly, even when I walked solo. I felt something fishy as why she is suddenly interested in me. After many days of annoying me to join the course, one day she ran off with her boyfriend. I guess she wanted someone to sign as a witness in the registry office. Yet, she has friends why me. Is it because she thought I was easy prey than her friends and make the lecturers turn against me? I don't want to give in to such thoughts. These two girls broke my trust by misusing me though I got my money back by asking the first one strictly.

The above girls caused so much pain to their family. The sad part of the story was everyone knew about this elopement and I was the one who didn't (I went to college for studying not for listening to gossips). After days have passed, I learnt about their elopement and their reason for not attending class for many days through lecturers who were informed and were frustrated over the issue. God protected me from getting affected by these two people and made me obedient by their biggest disobedience and reckless nature. Then I made friends with a divorced girl (in the final year, joined the class she left before marriage) who proved to be harmful to my soul and came out of the friendship immediately. I praise the Lord for it.

Then God gave me one of the biggest tests of my life in the year 2013-14. I entered a coed college because after studying in a very strict college, I thought it's time for me to study in a liberal one. I also secretly believed since the previous college was strict with so many rules and regulations, the girls eloped not able to withstand it. Blamed the college and was arrogant to believe they were innocent. Though it was a bit late, I was able to learn that college was the best and they walked righteously. If there are no rules, it will make one astray and live erratically without any good purpose. In this new college, the two young men who I spoke to in the beginning and thought were good turned out to be disgusting. The girls were made in the same mold. I survived and ignored it.

In that whole year, I was concentrating on too many things, I was to be declared responsible for allowing men and women in my life who were not spiritual and walked in the evil path. These girls main job is gossiping. The Bible says " A pretentious , showy life is an empty life; a plain and simple life is a full life". Trading my simple life which God has designed it for me for a showy life caused me so much loss. I am happy for the lessons. I got burned and was subjected to eve teasing, gossiped, cyber stalked and my life was a fine example as to what happens if you turn away from God.

It's a concern Christian girls and boys (including the lecturers) also did not walk righteously. I was able to find out which were all the family members who were genuinely concerned about my wellbeing and who were gloating behind my back and rejoicing by showing indifference or by being indecent. Still tolerating it and trusting them caused me money. I was hospitalized for a brief course of time because I forgot totally about God who was my true friend and didn't ask him for help. He tested me and I failed. The Lord was displeased with me for rejecting him. Pastor Rick tells us, People who don't know their purpose try to do too much-and that causes stress, fatigue and conflict. I understand it now.

It is better to label narrow minded people as unbelievers is a lesson I learnt from this book. Today I realize turning away from God and concerning myself with worldly pleasures like money, power and fame were the reasons God gave me this punishment. I was surrounded by some unbelievers who called themselves true Christians, but the reality is far from it. I didn't know who I should trust when I should have trusted God and surrender to him. Then I would have been saved.

When I was studying in schools I fainted in assemblies a finite number of times even after drinking plenty of water before attending it. My teachers and fellow students all helped me. I am glad for it. When I was studying in my UG, I once fainted in the bus stop due to not able to tolerate heat (before inside the college got up on my own after relaxing). God helped me through a Good Samaritan school girl to make sure I reached home safely. Then again in PG I fainted. This time in the bus after drinking water and a Good Samaritan came in the form of a woman who bought me orange juice from a shop and hired an auto and safely took me to my apartment.

The point to be noted is that, my life's lessons are proof God worked his magic in my life by showing his presence and prepared me for something marvelous that cannot fit into my small mind. He gave me strangers who were far better than friends and family members. He could have walked away from me for leaving his side, but he didn't. In 2017, I thought to relax my expectations of finding a groom and was ready to sacrifice myself in marriage including a sexual union. But the Lord guided me and made me reject the proposals, stop some from becoming serious and wired my thinking not to settle for less than I deserve.

He made me trust in him and believe he will do miracles in my life. I was adamant with him since he didn't rescue me from evil doers on the contrary made them prosper. Today, after reading the book, I understood God and realized he wanted to unmask the face of wolves in sheeps clothing in the process of making me an upright and alert person not provoked at the hypocrisy and injustice of these people.

To err is human, to forgive is divine. I know God since my birth yet I slipped away from his hands. Walking away from God for a few years being angry with him for foolishly thinking he made my life miserable was allowed to happen for a reason for what is going to come in the future-to see the big picture. I was given the grand opportunity to learn about everyone I spoke to by withdrawing from my moral principles slightly due to the evil's presence and became a hypocrite finding fault with people who were soaked in evil. Jealousy, envy, lust and pride makes one evil. I barely knew these people and it includes family members but trusted them initially without any evidence of them proving their authenticity. God made me set very high standards in friendship, love and family. I praise the Lord for it.

He made me see two sides of the coin and asked me which makes me feel good even if the one decision means suffering. As a true believer said, God never said this life would be easy. We would be persecuted as a servant of the Lord. He didn't create bad or good people. He created people with free will. On judgement day, every deed of us will be judged and questioned in the court of God's kingdom. We must decide whether we want to go to eternal hell or eternal heaven.

I am now putting my complete confidence in the Lord that he will give me a right partner who has faith in him like myself and has kept himself away from lust and wants to share an ascetic life. Jesus Christ was not born through sex and truly he is my king and I am inspired by him. I used to think what if I spoke to the Hindu guy who wanted to speak to me before valentine's day? How my life would have turned out to be?

What he wanted to talk to me about? I have gone to his house only once to play board games. He was a funny guy. Before his final exams, he fell from the top floor of his house with his eyes glued to the books and broke his hands. At least I should thank him for not taking revenge as I disrespected him as a younger person. I had to cross his house only as I went to school by walk. The three years earlier to that, I was a source of disappointment to my parents, it was God who reminded me by holding my hands by making me sharp and showing me the way I should live. He has called on me to live a holy and simple life by resisting temptations of the world and raise above it. ( )
  infantinanivetha | Jul 30, 2018 |
You are not an accident. Even before the universe was created, God had you in mind, and he planned you for his purposes. These purposes will extend far beyond the few years you will be on this earth. You were made to last forever!
Rick Warren will guide you through a personal 40-day spiritual journey that will transform your answer to life's most important question: What on earth am I here for? Knowing God's purpose for creating you will reduce your stress, focus your energy, simplify your decisions, give meaning to your life, and most important, prepare you for eternity.
  Fellowshipwc | May 28, 2018 |
When this book was "the book" every Christian was reading, I didn't want to read it. My church didn't jump on the bandwagon either, so I didn't get to read this with a small group. I found it at a used book sale along with the journal quite a while ago, but didn't read until now. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jan 7, 2018 |
Second copy for the church.
  PPAC | Nov 25, 2017 |
"This book is dedicated to you. Before you were born, God planned this moment in your life. It is no accident that you are holding this book. God longs for you to discover the life he created you to live-here on earth, and forever in eternity. 'It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ,...he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone. Ephesians 1:2 (Msg)' I am grateful to the hundreds of writers and teachers, both classical and contemporary, who have shaped my life and helped me learn these truths. I thank God and you for the privilege of sharing them with you."
"This is more than a book; it is a guide to a 40-day spiritual journey that will enable you to discover the answer to life's most important question: What on earth am I here for?"
"For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, ... everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. Colossians 1:16 MSG"

A-2

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0310205719, Hardcover)

The spiritual premise in The Purpose-Driven Life is that there are no accidents---God planned everything and everyone. Therefore, every human has a divine purpose, according to God's master plan. Like a twist on John F. Kennedy's famous inaugural address, this book could be summed up like this: "So my fellow Christians, ask not what God can do for your life plan, ask what your life can do for God's plan." Those who are looking for advice on finding one's calling through career choice, creative expression, or any form of self-discovery should go elsewhere. This is not about self-exploration; it is about purposeful devotion to a Christian God. The book is set up to be a 40-day immersion plan, recognizing that the Bible favors the number 40 as a "spiritually significant time," according to author Rick Warren, the founding pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, touted as one of the nation largest congregations. Warren's hope is that readers will "interact" with the 40 chapters, reading them one day at a time, with extensive underlining and writing in the margins. As an inspirational manifesto for creating a more worshipful, church-driven life, this book delivers. Every page is laden with references to scripture or dogma. But it does not do much to address the challenges of modern Christian living, with its competing material, professional, and financial distractions. Nonetheless, this is probably an excellent resource for devout Christians who crave a jumpstart back to worshipfulness. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

Offers spiritual fulfillment through an understanding of God's plan for a meaningful life.

Zondervan

6 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310205719, 0310276993, 0310803063, 0310805554, 0310255252, 031027866X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,693,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible