The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

The Purpose Driven Life (2002)

by Rick Warren

The Love Dare by Stephen Kendrick (jlynno84)
    The Blessing of Favor: Experiencing God's Supernatural Influence by Kate McVeigh (jlynno84)
    Messiah to the Messed Up - Because I'm a mess, you're a mess, and we all need a Messiah by Sue Ciullo (elbakerone)
    Living Without a Goal by James Ogilvy (bertilak)
    bertilak: These books contradict each other; you may not like both of them, but it is interesting to get different points of view.
    The reason-driven life : what am I here on earth for? by Robert M. Price (bertilak)

English (97)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All (100)
Superficial, Light, Make yourself feel good book.

I was annoyed that when he discussed worshiping in truth, he said to worship in Your truth. So if you feel ascetic is right do it, if you feel right being joyless do it.

He states Jesus put too much emphasis on baptism as he did the preaching work. No he didn't! I find it incredibly arrogant of a Christian to claim he knows better the Christ regarding spiritual matters. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 7, 2017 |
I went to a nondenominational church in high school to rebel against my Catholic upbringing. (Real risk taker I was . . .). We were supposed to read this for our study in Sunday school. Good lord what a waste. Blah blah blah, everyone has a purpose. I couldn't take it.
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Simply put....there is no worldly method to achieving a closer walk with God. It will take time reading God's Word and praying. There is no short-cut to spirituality. The Purpose Driven Life and other similar series attempt to provide a short-cut and may encourage new believers to think that once they have achieved the twelve steps they can cease striving after God. I gave up on this book half way through and threw it away as I felt as if it was a deception. I have since read many concerning things about the author and his links with ecumenism and new-age....I'm not surprised this book was and is a best seller as it provides an easy Christianity and broad is the road that leads to destruction.

I am concerned that some churches are abandoning Bibles for their studies and studying this book instead. Any book that causes people to take their eyes off God and onto a man made method is a danger. Challies expresses my concerns clearly in this post

I don't recommend this book. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
2009
  April44 | Feb 7, 2016 |
I didn't hate or like this book. It was ok. It had some good points but nothing that I can tell would make it so profound. I was extremely annoyed that the author did not list his scripture references within the text. The ending was the best part of the book. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
"This book is dedicated to you. Before you were born, God planned this moment in your life. It is no accident that you are holding this book. God longs for you to discover the life he created you to live-here on earth, and forever in eternity. 'It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ,...he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone. Ephesians 1:2 (Msg)' I am grateful to the hundreds of writers and teachers, both classical and contemporary, who have shaped my life and helped me learn these truths. I thank God and you for the privilege of sharing them with you."
"This is more than a book; it is a guide to a 40-day spiritual journey that will enable you to discover the answer to life's most important question: What on earth am I here for?"
"For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, ... everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. Colossians 1:16 MSG"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0310205719, Hardcover)

The spiritual premise in The Purpose-Driven Life is that there are no accidents---God planned everything and everyone. Therefore, every human has a divine purpose, according to God's master plan. Like a twist on John F. Kennedy's famous inaugural address, this book could be summed up like this: "So my fellow Christians, ask not what God can do for your life plan, ask what your life can do for God's plan." Those who are looking for advice on finding one's calling through career choice, creative expression, or any form of self-discovery should go elsewhere. This is not about self-exploration; it is about purposeful devotion to a Christian God. The book is set up to be a 40-day immersion plan, recognizing that the Bible favors the number 40 as a "spiritually significant time," according to author Rick Warren, the founding pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, touted as one of the nation largest congregations. Warren's hope is that readers will "interact" with the 40 chapters, reading them one day at a time, with extensive underlining and writing in the margins. As an inspirational manifesto for creating a more worshipful, church-driven life, this book delivers. Every page is laden with references to scripture or dogma. But it does not do much to address the challenges of modern Christian living, with its competing material, professional, and financial distractions. Nonetheless, this is probably an excellent resource for devout Christians who crave a jumpstart back to worshipfulness. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

Offers spiritual fulfillment through an understanding of God's plan for a meaningful life.

Zondervan

6 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310205719, 0310276993, 0310803063, 0310805554, 0310255252, 031027866X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,163,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible