Zane Grey's Wild West: A Study of 31…

Zane Grey's Wild West: A Study of 31 Novels

by Victor Carl Friesen

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Zane Grey's Wild West: A Study of 31 Novels" I eagerly awaited this book through Early Reviewers, as I am a huge Zane Grey fan. My father and I read all of his books we could find, and some of them over and over again. From Zane Grey, I learned of many other authors - I once decided to read all the authors mentioned in his stories. I am still working my way through Plutarch!

As for this book, the wait was worth it. An excellent review of a selection of works, with background, history, new information, interviews etc.

I enjoyed reading details about favorite stories, learning more about the man himself, his writing process, his other work, and so much more. I felt like this book tied me to his works even stronger, and helped me place them in time & culture better.

I would recommend this book for fans of Zane Grey, or fans of Westerns in general. ( )
  camelama | Oct 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had never heard the life story of Zane Grey and his history so this was very interesting. As a librarian and giving overviews of 31 of his books, it helps me when patrons are looking for certain westerns. ( )
  vgrimli | Sep 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book via the Early Readers Program.
Starting out I was a little put off, it being a literary commentary on 31 of Zane Grey's novels. At first I felt like it was a waste of time, I mean why not just read the novels themselves?
I knew nothing about Zane Grey other than he wrote "Westerns". I was thinking maybe like another Louis Lamour.
Well, I really got interested in this book. it to;d some about Grey and his life and history, but it is really a love letter to his novels. It gives an overview of 31 of his books, and explains a little about why he wrote the way he did and the relationship between his stories.
I really want to search out his books and read the actual novels and I believe I will enjoy them all the more for having the background of this well written book. ( )
  hredwards | Aug 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was something of an odd book for me to read because I've never actually read a Zane Grey book. I've Gery's works on the shelves in bookstore, not to mention all the ones I had to shelve when I worked for a public library. So, I got this book hoping to answer the question, 'Is Zane Grey worth reading?' After all, there's only so much time and far too many books. I've only read two westerns in my life. Should I take the plunge?

I'm not sure this book actually answered that question, but it was an interesting read. Essentially, Victor Carl Friesen looks at 31 novels from the Zane Grey collection in order to trace our the plot and themes. The most interesting parts for me, though, were the "behind-the-scenes" elements of the book. Friesen talks about interactions Grey had with the publisher and even tries to discern the real-life inspiration that brought the book to life. There were some interesting tidbits that added more nuance to these books than I would expected (e.g., Grey's real travel to the West, WW2, and ecology).

The only negative to this book would be the fact that the author only covers about half of the books Zane Grey wrote. Perhaps a second volume will emerge that finishes the collection. ( )
  johnbotkin | May 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In writing Zane Grey's Wild West: A Study of 31 Novels, Victor Carl Friesen chose 31 novels, half of Grey's output, for inclusion in this book of literary discussion. He gives a great synopsis, or outline, of what the books are about or if you read the books before, then it is a great refresher/reminder; in short, a book in short-story form. Friesen also included tidbits of Grey's style of writing, Grey's disagreements/disappointments with the editors/publishers, and some unique information of Grey's life.
  OldDan | May 13, 2014 |

"This is a literary discussion of one-half of Zane Grey's Westerns, with a chapter for each selected book. The choices show the broad scope of this best-selling author's interests in the West. These novels point out Grey's ecological concern for our natural world"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Victor Carl Friesen's book Zane Grey’s Wild West was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible