Henry Clay and the War of 1812 by Quentin…

Henry Clay and the War of 1812 (2014)

by Quentin Scott King

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It isn't often that I can't get through a book. Henry Clay and the War of 1812 is one. I have tried 4 separate times to read it. I am not admitting defeat, but it will have to wait quite awhile before I try again.
  satchmo77 | Jan 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me quite a while to complete my reading of this book but that had nothing to do with the book's story or the telling of it. In all my previous reading of biographies of our Presidents, Mr. Clay turned up frequently and with gravitas. I have wanted to know him better. Although this book is more about the War of 1812 and the Treaty of Ghent, there was some of his early life presented in it's pages. I would have liked to read more about his work after the Treaty was signed but I can get that elsewhere if I look hard enough. Meanwhile, I recommend this treatment of the times to history buffs. Much research went into it's writing and there is a very strong bibliography appended to it. I thank McFarland and Company, the publishers, for making it available to some of us members of LibraryThing. ( )
  gmillar | Jan 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I had certainly heard of Henry Clay, I admit to not knowing much about him before reading Quentin Scott King's volume. It's sheer size is rather daunting, but the book has turned out to be a surprisingly good read. I was especially interested to read about Aaron Burr's activities with Harman Blennerhassett (HB's island is near where I used to live, and I enjoyed reading the detailed local history as presented by Mr. King.) The account of a duel Clay fought with one of his political rivals provided some unexpected levity because of their inability to shoot straight.

Unlike some other readers, I did not have any problems with the two-column page format. In fact, considering the smallness of the font, I think the narrow columns helped me keep my place better than a standard wide column would have. I would have liked some maps showing the layout of the land and Clay's travels. Illustrations of the people and places being discussed would have livened things up also.

I appreciate Mr. Scott's effort is writing such a comprehensive book about Clay and am glad to have had the opportunity of reading it. ( )
  y2pk | Aug 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I rarely write a negative review because I know how much effort, and even love, that goes into writing a book of this magnitude. However, I must be honest. I've read many books of this era, and I could not get through this one. I absolutely hate the two columns. There are at least two times too many words... no matter how "amazingly complete and detailed" it may purport to be. AND, if there are this many words, I'm not supposed to expect a "deep analysis?" Many words and no deep analysis. No thank you!! ;-( ( )
1 vote smithwil | Jul 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an absolutely amazingly complete and detailed biography of Henry Clay. the author states on page one that he looked for previous biographies
of Henry Clay but could not find one. (But he may be wrong since one of the
Early Reviewer states that some earlier biographies have been found.). Nevertheless, as a result, the author has made a very laudable attempt
to report every conceivable item pertaining to the life of Henry Clay.
The author states in his preface upfront: "Since I am no academician, the
reader is cautioned not to expect deep analyses..... I am part journalist and part story-teller.....Some will find my story too detailed".
Well, this reader found his story absolutely compelling even though I am sure most readers of the general public may agree with the author that many of the details would appeal only to members of Henry Clay's progeny.
I nevertheless highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Henry Clay's life. Extremely well written ------ and detailed! ( )
2 vote octafoil40 | Jul 23, 2014 |
The united states were at war.
The U. S. Senate in 1957 was called upon to name the five greatest previous senators. Clay was among them, along with Daniel Webster, John C. Calhoun, Robert M. LaFollette and Robert A. Taft. But one of the senators voting on that occasion told the author personally that if they had been required to vote for the single greatest senator in the total history of that body, it would have been Henry Clay of Kentucky.

Any biography of Henry Clay's 46 year political career quickly becomes entangled with his monumental, though youthful, political leadership of the War Hawks in urging the Madison Administration to arm the United States for war with Great Britain. He continued to advise in the war's progress and ended by being one of the five distinguished Americans to treat for peace with a difficult team of mediocre British envoys. There has been no detailed treatment of his major role in this early American war until this present work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Quentin Scott King's book Henry Clay and the War of 1812 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,329,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible