In the Fields by Willow Aster

In the Fields

by Willow Aster

This Book. It is one of those books, where you can't quite figure out why you keep putting yourself through all this emotional turmoil. You know you are going to ugly cry, you know you are going to swear to never read these types of books again, but yet you keep coming back.

This book was so emotionally beautiful, but it was also so ugly. Ugly because people in life can be so cruel. People judge skin color and not actions. They judge life based on you status and physical appearance instead of your actions and morals.

This story was hard to swallow, Caroline had it rough. From a young child it was one pain after the next, after the next, after the NEXT! This poor girl never caught a break. From mental and physical abuse, to finding happiness only to have it ripped away. I can't say I agree with some of the methods in this book, I can say life is hard. It's not what happens to you that defines you, but how you react to the things that make you. Another highly recommended book! ( )
  Meagantull | Jul 5, 2017 |
If you read my reviews, you know that I often call the books everyone is so crazy to read these days "Lust in the Dust Books". This is not one of those. This story is way deeper than that. I can actually see it becoming a modern classic with the likes of The Secret Life of Bees and Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. When I signed up for this review, I really had no idea what a price I had signed up for.

Coming of age and race relations are both big themes throughout. They aren't the only points addressed though. There are so many different hardships and blessings and lessons and relationships inside, pain and first love. It does a wonderful job of just showing life in true form without all the embellishments, good and bad. And it does a great job of making a person appreciate their life and understand others.

I recommend taking a break from all the sexy only books for a moment and let this touch your heart.

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2013/12/in-fields-by-willow-aste... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
She needs someone to love her and take care of her, and I’d like that person to be me. I know we would come against it – there would be hell to pay for us to really be together – but I can’t let her go. I love her too much.

Welcome one and all. Take my hand and let’s go take a journey back to a time, though not THAT long ago, feels like a lifetime. That being said, it is a time that won’t soon be forgotten by many. Though it was the 70’s, race relations were still very high, still very unpredictable, still very combative. There were still so many of those with mindsets that, unfortunately, would NEVER change. The fact that there was a time that this did, and still does, exist, enfuriates me to the point of shaking. That you could judge and discriminate against a person solely based on the color of their skin will continue to baffle me. That this even matters or affects you in one way shape or form in your everyday life, I will never be able to absolve that ignorance, nor will I ever want to knowingly associate with that kind of ignorance and bigotry. This is a story that you will read and months later, you’ll STILL be thinking about it. It won’t soon leave you, yet you’ll be filled with a sense of hope; of encouragement; but most of all, love. I felt this story at a molecular level, and though I read it 3 months ago, I am able to recall with vivid detail, the events that transpired. That, my friends, is the true sign of an author worth reading. Willow has SUCH an interesting way of weaving a tale that I find it hard to describe. It is simply something you must discover and experience firsthand.

She’s been the only one in my world who completely sees past my skin. In a town like Tulma, a love like that is miraculous. And I just gave that away.

Hmmmm….where to begin? I will try to give the briefest of details possible so you may follow my trains of thought. Even now I find myself taking pause, trying to formulate how I will adequately get my points across. In the Fields is told solely from the POV of Caroline. Not yet fifteen years old, she learned at a young age that she can only depend on herself. She must never air her dirty laundry, for to do so would be shameful. An alcoholic and absentee father coupled with a dissociative and philandering mother leaves Caroline to raise herself. When her mother DOES finally decide to come around, it is too little, too late. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done.

I’ve never loved anyone or anything as much as I love him. I try to memorize the way he looks at me. The way his lips tilt up when they see me. The way his eyes crinkle when he laughs at something I say. The way his eyes turn a darker shade of beautiful when he cries. I will love him until the day I die. I know this.

For all intents and purposes, Caroline has ONE friend in the world. Bearing a darker skin than her, Isaiah and Caroline must keep their relationship a secret for fear of retaliation. Just when you think your heart couldn’t possibly ache more for this girl, an unspeakable and heinous act occurs. What unfold s in the aftermath is almost as unspeakable. How Caroline has the strength to go on each day and not want immediate retribution just goes to show the strength of her character and resolve. Though she may not realize it at the time, there is more empowerment and bravery in her pinky finger than most people have in their entire being. This character just SHATTERED my soul!

"I'll never understand the way this world works. Why can't I love whoever I want to love and it not affect anyone but us?"

It is difficult to go much further without giving anything away. Just know that this story is unlike ANY OTHER, and it’s one you won’t soon forget. Willow is like a cat using your Humpty Dumpty heart as a toy, batting it around and around. You won’t know WHERE to stop, but I promise you WILL enjoy the ride! Without a doubt, 5 stars from me!

I will hold your hand
Dance in the sand
With our Favorite band.
I will steal a kiss
Little miss,
It will be bliss.
Someday...
I will shout that you're mine,
Caroline...
Till the end of time.
Someday.
  BooksToBreathe | Jul 2, 2014 |

1971: In the tiny, backward town of Tulma, Tennessee, optimistic, bookish Caroline Carson unwittingly finds herself in the middle of a forbidden romance. Severely neglected by her family and forced to flee Tulma to protect her secrets, Caroline's young life comes crashing down around her. She finds refuge in a new town, but the past always has a way of stretching around time and stirring up trouble. When a new love comes into her life, she has to decide if she can give her heart to someone else, or if she will always be tied to someone she can't have.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,766,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible