The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

The God Delusion (2006)

by Richard Dawkins

13,911324258 (3.96)1 / 379
Recently added byrainierstranger, justjoshinreads, BobCurry, hansmunch, Whisper1, Valdeen, Lahkesis, private library
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects by Bertrand Russell (BGP, yakov.perelman)
    God Is Not Great : How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (hnn, BGP)
    Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman (robertf)
    robertf: Dawkins is passionately trying to refute an undefined hypothesis - this is perhaps one of his least succesful works. Ehrman's book does not have conversion to atheism as its aim - it is a description of the scholarly analysis of texts. The reason it is devastating to religion is that it undermines any claim to biblical authenticity by exposing contradictions between different manuscripts. It achieves what Dawkins aims to much more subtly and scientifically.… (more)
    Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam by Michel Onfray (gust)
    Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett (ljessen)
    Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (yakov.perelman)
    Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Just Don't Add Up by John Allen Paulos (infiniteletters)
    The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins (yakov.perelman)
    Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief by Andrew Newberg (bertilak)
    God and the State by Michael Bakunin (BGP)
    Atheism Advanced: Further Thoughts of a Freethinker by David Eller (hnn)
    What is Good?: The Search for the Best Way to Live by A. C. Grayling (chrisharpe)
    Talking With God: The Many Faces of Religious Delusion by Robert A. Clark (bertilak)
    Why Gods Persist: A Scientific Approach to Religion by Robert A. Hinde (bertilak)
    God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God? by John C. Lennox (bfrost)
    The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener by Martin Gardner (ehines)
    ehines: While I agree with Dawkins and disagree with Gardner about the existence of God, Gardner's open-mindedness judicious and friendly tone, even in error, serves as a rebuke to Dawkins' inability to understand or respect his intellectual opponents.
    The Selfish Genius: How Richard Dawkins Rewrote Darwin's Legacy by Fern Elsdon-Baker (Gavin_Hardcastle)
    Gavin_Hardcastle: Interesting Read
    The Dawkins Letters: Challenging Atheist Myths by David Robertson (OwenGriffiths)
    OwenGriffiths: The God Delusion offers some of the most popular, if not the most reasoned or effective, arguments "against faith". Robertson attempts to dispel a few perceived misconceptions. This is a good place to start if you wish to understand why a lot of people of (any) faith disregard Dawkins argument in this book. Robertson does not provide a total response to atheism itself, nor does he set out to do so. The God Delusion repays careful reading, because even if one may disagree with them, or argue that they do not represent the best of Atheistic philosophy, one can not deny that Dawkins represents some of the most common critiques of faith, which people of faith are forced to respond to.… (more)

English (301)  Dutch (6)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Hebrew (1)  Turkish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (323)
Required reading for a rational society. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
a truly terrible book, consistently taking evidence out of context (e.g. when he talks about horrendous acts committed in the book of judges without alerting his audience to the fact that judges has a cyclical cycle where the israelites fall into immorality before a judge comes to save them) or misinterpreting evidence (e.g. his misinterpretation of aquinas' argument from motion to be using our normative sense of motion rather than the medieval sense of ontological motion [change]) or telling us someone is lying when they say they are religious (e.g. einstein, mlk and freeman dyson are all interested in "the wrong parts of religion", so dawkins informs us that evidently they are not religious and none of their work is religious, despite their own words to the contrary). ( )
  livingtoast | Jan 23, 2019 |
A thorough refutation of the "reasons" in favor of the existence of God, from the point of view of a Darwinian biologist, mostly using evolution and natural selection to disprove the persistent myths.

One of the accusations that is constantly leveled at Dawkins, even by non-believers themselves, is that he is arrogant and condescending. I found nothing of it in this book. Quite to the contrary, I think he even spends too much time and patience trying to refute some of the more obviously flawed arguments for the existence of God or against evolution. For example, it is entirely obvious to me that being compassionate to one another would have many benefits pertinent to our survival both as individuals and as a species, without having to read an entire chapter of justifications.

It is quite astonishing how often I found myself laying the book aside in order to reflect on what I've read. Though some parts I found less interesting (the meme theory seemed a bit suspect to me), this is a must read for this day and for anyone who ever stops to consider the world we live in, even if for just a moment. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Very good, no doubt, but after all the hype, a little underwhelming, I felt. And frankly a bit too boring. I really think in this school of authors, Hitchens is more readable and generally better while I get a lot more out of Dan Barker even. Still, a good work. ( )
  scottcholstad | Dec 25, 2018 |
There are definitely interesting and good parts of this book, especially in the later chapters. I preferred the sections that were more informative or philosophical to the ones that were directed at countering any point the creationists had brought up in the past. To me, it's a waste of time to read about why creationists are wrong, since they so obviously are wrong. I also don't plan in engaging in any conversations where I attempt to prove to people who don't use logic why their beliefs are illogical since that is a pointless endeavor, so I didn't get anything out of these sections. At times I believe Dawkins exaggerates the extent to which extreme religious beliefs are mainstream in America to stir up fear that we need to confront this problem. My experience as an American who knows a diverse set of people from many economic, religious, and racial backgrounds is that these extreme beliefs are not as common as he argues, though I'm sure they are much more widespread in particular parts of the country. Still, I couldn't help but see many of his claims as exaggerated based on my experience working with people from all over the country. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
That was the first time I had ever considered, even in my own thoughts to myself, that I could be an atheist. I was 36. My husband was down with this—he told me he was an atheist, too. I felt it was weird we were finally having a conversation about this after being married for six years, but maybe we intrinsically knew all along.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, boofdah (Oct 28, 2011)

In The God Delusion, Dawkins argues that evolution has removed the need for a God hypothesis to explain life, and advances in physics may soon do the same for the universe. Further, the existence of God is a proper question for science, and the answer is no.
added by Taphophile13 | editThe Age, Barney Zwartz (Nov 24, 2006)

Despite the many flashes of brilliance in this book, Dawkins’s failure to appreciate just how hard philosophical questions about religion can be makes reading it an intellectually frustrating experience.

Creationists and believers in God are right to see him as their arch-enemy. In The God Delusion he displays what a formidable adversary he is. It is a spirited and exhilarating read. In the current climate of papal/Islamic stand-off, it is timely too.
added by ghilbrae | editThe Guardian, Joan Bakewell (Sep 26, 2006)

Dawkins, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barr, NomaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vogel, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LallaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?'
In Memoriam
Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
As a child, my wife hated her school and wished she could leave.
The boy lay prone in the grass, his chin resting on his hands.
Pantheism is sexed-up atheism. Deism is watered-down theism.
But hate only has to prove it is religious, and it no longer counts as hate.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden.
I am no more fundamentalist when I say evolution is true than when I say it is true that New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere.
Richard Dawkins è uno dei più famosi scienziati di oggi e uno dei più strenui difensori della teoria darwiniana della selezione naturale. La tesi di questo suo nuovo libro, che ha suscitato un enorme clamore nel mondo anglosassone e ha generato un dibattito accesissimo, è molto semplice: Dio non esiste e la fede in un essere superiore è illogica, sbagliata e potenzialmente mortale, come millenni di guerre di religione e la recente minaccia globale del terrorismo fondamentalista islamico dimostrano ampiamente. Agli occhi di Dawkins, ogni religione condivide lo stesso errore fondamentale, vale a dire l'illusoria credenza nell'esistenza di Dio, e, con essa, la pericolosa sicurezza di conoscere una verità indiscutibile perché sacra.
(piopas)
(KCleavely)
You believe in God.
I believe you've been deceived.
I will tell you why.

A preeminent scientist -- and the world's most prominent atheist -- asserts the irrationality of belief in God and the grievous harm religion has inflicted on society, from the Crusades to 9/11.

With rigor and wit, Dawkins examines God in all his forms, from the sex-obsessed tyrant of the Old Testament to the more benign (but still illogical) Celestial Watchmaker favored by some Enlightenment thinkers. He eviscerates the major arguments for religion and demonstrates the supreme improbability of a supreme being. He shows how religion fuels war, foments bigotry, and abuses children, buttressing his points with historical and contemporary evidence. The God Delusion makes a compelling case that belief in God is not just wrong but potentially deadly. It also offers exhilarating insight into the advantages of atheism to the individual and society, not the least of which is a clearer, truer appreciation of the universe's wonders than any faith could ever muster.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:00 -0400)

Argues that belief in God is irrational, and describes examples of religion's negative influences on society throughout the centuries, such as war, bigotry, child abuse, and violence.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,466,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible