The God Delusion (2006)

by Richard Dawkins

14,936337276 (3.95)2 / 385
Argues that belief in God is irrational, and describes examples of religion's negative influences on society throughout the centuries, such as war, bigotry, child abuse, and violence.
Recently added byavrego, RandomEllis, Timwindram, private library, SvenjaT, JanetPiele, alonereed, AlisaCarnall, Paul.McKenzie
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects by Bertrand Russell (BGP, yakov.perelman)
    God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (hnn, BGP)
    Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman (robertf)
    robertf: Dawkins is passionately trying to refute an undefined hypothesis - this is perhaps one of his least succesful works. Ehrman's book does not have conversion to atheism as its aim - it is a description of the scholarly analysis of texts. The reason it is devastating to religion is that it undermines any claim to biblical authenticity by exposing contradictions between different manuscripts. It achieves what Dawkins aims to much more subtly and scientifically.… (more)
    Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam by Michel Onfray (gust)
    Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett (ljessen)
    Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (yakov.perelman)
    Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Just Don't Add Up by John Allen Paulos (infiniteletters)
    The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins (yakov.perelman)
    Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief by Andrew Newberg (bertilak)
    What is Good?: The Search for the Best Way to Live by A. C. Grayling (chrisharpe)
    Atheism Advanced: Further Thoughts of a Freethinker by David Eller (hnn)
    God and the State by Michael Bakunin (BGP)
    Why Gods Persist: A Scientific Approach to Religion by Robert A. Hinde (bertilak)
    Talking With God: The Many Faces of Religious Delusion by Robert A. Clark (bertilak)
    Bible Stories for Adults by James Morrow (themulhern)
    themulhern: God is cruel is the theme that unites these two books.
    God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God? by John C. Lennox (bfrost)
    The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener by Martin Gardner (ehines)
    ehines: While I agree with Dawkins and disagree with Gardner about the existence of God, Gardner's open-mindedness judicious and friendly tone, even in error, serves as a rebuke to Dawkins' inability to understand or respect his intellectual opponents.
    The Selfish Genius: How Richard Dawkins Rewrote Darwin's Legacy by Fern Elsdon-Baker (Gavin_Hardcastle)
    Gavin_Hardcastle: Interesting Read

English (312)  Dutch (6)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Hebrew (1)  Turkish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (334)
I am here 1000% here for LGBT dark academia. SIGN ME UP.
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
The logic is generally agreeable, and the conclusions he comes to I generally agree with.

The tone he writes with is just insufferable. I found it extremely hard to enjoy.

It is also extremely redundant, and it diverges for chapters at a time, to prove points that don't really seem relevant to the matter at hand. ( )
  Andjhostet | Jan 11, 2021 |
De esos libros que no te enseñan nada nuevo, pero te dan nuevos puntos de vista. Sus "argumentos" sólo son pura lógica.
Aunque bueno, por momentos Dawkins se emociona (como siempre...) y se le va un poco... ( )
  isente | Jan 6, 2021 |
Notable quotes:
"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion." --Robert M. Pirsig

During the Danish Muhammad cartoon fiasco: "Demonstators were photographed in Britain bearing banners saying 'Slay those who insult Islam', 'Butcher those who mock Islam', 'Europe you will pay: Demolition is on its way' and, apparently without irony, 'Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion'."

After the London Underground bombings: "Everyone is being blamed, from the obvious villainous duo of George W. Bush and Tony Blair, to the inaction of Muslim 'communities'. But it has never been clearer that there is only one place to lay the blame and it has ever been thus. The cause of all this misery, mayhem, violence, terror and ignorance is of course religion itself, and if it seems ludicrous to have to state such an obvious reality, the fact is that the government and the media are doing a pretty good job of pretending that it isn't so." --Muriel Gray ( )
  andy_clark | Dec 31, 2020 |
I think this is worth a read for athiests and thiests alike. It rambles a bit and I considered putting it down about halfway through because I got bored, but I'm glad I finished.

If you're a thiest, it will only provide you insight into how somebody could be an athiest and raise tough questions for you on why you believe that you can mull over. It won't be easy work, but it is important work.

If you're an athiest, you'll be relieved to hear that you're not alone and that the feeling that your non-belief is unwelcome to society is a whole is true. It'll also give you arguments back to those inevitable discussions you'll have with passionate believers that fear for your soul. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
That was the first time I had ever considered, even in my own thoughts to myself, that I could be an atheist. I was 36. My husband was down with this—he told me he was an atheist, too. I felt it was weird we were finally having a conversation about this after being married for six years, but maybe we intrinsically knew all along.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, boofdah (Oct 28, 2011)

In The God Delusion, Dawkins argues that evolution has removed the need for a God hypothesis to explain life, and advances in physics may soon do the same for the universe. Further, the existence of God is a proper question for science, and the answer is no.
added by Taphophile13 | editThe Age, Barney Zwartz (Nov 24, 2006)

Despite the many flashes of brilliance in this book, Dawkins’s failure to appreciate just how hard philosophical questions about religion can be makes reading it an intellectually frustrating experience.

Creationists and believers in God are right to see him as their arch-enemy. In The God Delusion he displays what a formidable adversary he is. It is a spirited and exhilarating read. In the current climate of papal/Islamic stand-off, it is timely too.
added by ghilbrae | editThe Guardian, Joan Bakewell (Sep 26, 2006)

Dawkins, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barr, NomaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riemsdijk, Hans E. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vogel, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LallaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?'
In Memoriam
Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
As a child, my wife hated her school and wished she could leave.
The boy lay prone in the grass, his chin resting on his hands.
Pantheism is sexed-up atheism. Deism is watered-down theism.
But hate only has to prove it is religious, and it no longer counts as hate.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden.
I am no more fundamentalist when I say evolution is true than when I say it is true that New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere.

Richard Dawkins è uno dei più famosi scienziati di oggi e uno dei più strenui difensori della teoria darwiniana della selezione naturale. La tesi di questo suo nuovo libro, che ha suscitato un enorme clamore nel mondo anglosassone e ha generato un dibattito accesissimo, è molto semplice: Dio non esiste e la fede in un essere superiore è illogica, sbagliata e potenzialmente mortale, come millenni di guerre di religione e la recente minaccia globale del terrorismo fondamentalista islamico dimostrano ampiamente. Agli occhi di Dawkins, ogni religione condivide lo stesso errore fondamentale, vale a dire l'illusoria credenza nell'esistenza di Dio, e, con essa, la pericolosa sicurezza di conoscere una verità indiscutibile perché sacra.
(piopas)
(KCleavely)
You believe in God.
I believe you've been deceived.
I will tell you why.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,667,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible