The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

The God Delusion (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Richard Dawkins

11,626None227 (4)323
Member:Murshed
Title:The God Delusion
Authors:Richard Dawkins
Info:Mariner Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (2006)

2007 (36) atheism (1,286) atheist (37) audiobook (46) biology (81) Christianity (78) creationism (35) Darwinism (35) Dawkins (61) ebook (37) evolution (303) God (187) non-fiction (969) own (42) philosophy (601) popular science (32) psychology (38) read (137) read in 2007 (27) reason (31) religion (1,694) Richard Dawkins (38) science (680) skepticism (109) sociology (40) spirituality (30) Theology (81) to-read (133) unread (57) wishlist (30)
    Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects by Bertrand Russell (BGP, yakov.perelman)
    God Is Not Great : How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (hnn, BGP)
    Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman (robertf)
    robertf: Dawkins is passionately trying to refute an undefined hypothesis - this is perhaps one of his least succesful works. Ehrman's book does not have conversion to atheism as its aim - it is a description of the scholarly analysis of texts. The reason it is devastating to religion is that it undermines any claim to biblical authenticity by exposing contradictions between different manuscripts. It achieves what Dawkins aims to much more subtly and scientifically.… (more)
    Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam by Michel Onfray (gust)
    Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett (ljessen)
    Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails by John W. Loftus (Percevan)
    Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Just Don't Add Up by John Allen Paulos (infiniteletters)
    Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief by Andrew Newberg (bertilak)
    Atheism Advanced: Further Thoughts of a Freethinker by David Eller (hnn)
    God and the State by Michael Bakunin (BGP)
    What Is Good?: The Search for the Best Way to Live by A. C. Grayling (chrisharpe)
    The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (yakov.perelman)
    Talking With God: The Many Faces of Religious Delusion by Robert A. Clark (bertilak)
    Why Gods Persist: A Scientific Approach to Religion by Robert A. Hinde (bertilak)
    God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God? by John Lennox (bfrost)
    The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener by Martin Gardner (ehines)
    ehines: While I agree with Dawkins and disagree with Gardner about the existence of God, Gardner's open-mindedness judicious and friendly tone, even in error, serves as a rebuke to Dawkins' inability to understand or respect his intellectual opponents.
    The Dawkins Letters: Challenging Atheist Myths by David Robertson (OwenGriffiths)
    OwenGriffiths: The God Delusion offers some of the most popular, if not the most reasoned or effective, arguments "against faith". Robertson attempts to dispel a few perceived misconceptions. This is a good place to start if you wish to understand why a lot of people of (any) faith disregard Dawkins argument in this book. Robertson does not provide a total response to atheism itself, nor does he set out to do so. The God Delusion repays careful reading, because even if one may disagree with them, or argue that they do not represent the best of Atheistic philosophy, one can not deny that Dawkins represents some of the most common critiques of faith, which people of faith are forced to respond to.… (more)
    The Selfish Genius: How Richard Dawkins Rewrote Darwin's Legacy by Fern Elsdon-Baker (Gavin_Hardcastle)
    Gavin_Hardcastle: Interesting Read
    Book of Pure Logic: Pure Logic Studies and Analysis of The Bible and of Life by George F. Thomson (thepurelogic)
    thepurelogic: The "Book of Pure Logic" is Dawkins competitor and worst nightmare. Read and see why !

English (257)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Icelandic (1)  Turkish (1)  French (1)  All languages (273)
This book makes you think about quite a few things about religion. It helps to look at the world in a more liberal way. ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
non-fiction
  anotherpassportstamp | Mar 6, 2014 |
Dawkins was preaching to the converted in my case. I found his style a little annoying at first - he seems very arrogant and somewhat patronising. However, I think this is probably to do with who it is really aimed at.

He puts forward some convincing arguments about the highly unlikely existence of God and is very hard on the Church in general and the American ultra Conservatives and creationists in particular. ( )
  twosheds | Feb 26, 2014 |
I've read Richard Dawkins books and watched his videos for many years. The God Delusion was an excellent book on religion and philosophy. ( )
  jamesfallen | Feb 7, 2014 |
  jamesfallen | Feb 7, 2014 |
That was the first time I had ever considered, even in my own thoughts to myself, that I could be an atheist. I was 36. My husband was down with this—he told me he was an atheist, too. I felt it was weird we were finally having a conversation about this after being married for six years, but maybe we intrinsically knew all along.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, boofdah (Oct 28, 2011)

In The God Delusion, Dawkins argues that evolution has removed the need for a God hypothesis to explain life, and advances in physics may soon do the same for the universe. Further, the existence of God is a proper question for science, and the answer is no.
added by Taphophile13 | editThe Age, Barney Zwartz (Nov 24, 2006)

Despite the many flashes of brilliance in this book, Dawkins’s failure to appreciate just how hard philosophical questions about religion can be makes reading it an intellectually frustrating experience.

Creationists and believers in God are right to see him as their arch-enemy. In The God Delusion he displays what a formidable adversary he is. It is a spirited and exhilarating read. In the current climate of papal/Islamic stand-off, it is timely too.
added by elwen | editThe Guardian, Joan Bakewell (Sep 26, 2006)

Richard Dawkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vogel, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LallaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams
In Memoriam
Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?'
As a child, my wife hated her school and wished she could leave.
Pantheism is sexed-up atheism. Deism is watered-down theism.
But hate only has to prove it is religious, and it no longer counts as hate.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden.
I am no more fundamentalist when I say evolution is true than when I say it is true that New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere.
(KCleavely)
You believe in God.
I believe you've been deceived.
I will tell you why.

A preeminent scientist -- and the world's most prominent atheist -- asserts the irrationality of belief in God and the grievous harm religion has inflicted on society, from the Crusades to 9/11.

With rigor and wit, Dawkins examines God in all his forms, from the sex-obsessed tyrant of the Old Testament to the more benign (but still illogical) Celestial Watchmaker favored by some Enlightenment thinkers. He eviscerates the major arguments for religion and demonstrates the supreme improbability of a supreme being. He shows how religion fuels war, foments bigotry, and abuses children, buttressing his points with historical and contemporary evidence. The God Delusion makes a compelling case that belief in God is not just wrong but potentially deadly. It also offers exhilarating insight into the advantages of atheism to the individual and society, not the least of which is a clearer, truer appreciation of the universe's wonders than any faith could ever muster.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:39 -0400)

Argues that belief in God is irrational, and describes examples of religion's negative influences on society throughout the centuries, such as war, bigotry, child abuse, and violence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible