Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by…

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (original 2011; edition 2015)

by Yuval Noah Harari (Author)

Member:timoheuer
Title:Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Authors:Yuval Noah Harari (Author)
Info:Vintage (2015), Ausgabe: 01, 512 Seiten
Rating:*****
Tags:lang:en, sachbuch, menschheit, vergangenheit, entwicklung, geschichte, religionsgeschichte, menschheitsgeschichte

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari (2011)

English (96)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  Italian (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  All (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (115)
I can't quite put my finger on it but many of his arguments feel like they are based on assumptions I find questionable. Despite this found it an engaging and interesting read from Harari. ( )
  brakketh | Jun 16, 2018 |
I first approached this book when I saw it gaining traction online. After seeing several references to it, and looking it up here on GoodReads, I decided it was likely worth a try. In general I do my best to keep abreast of the books being released about subjects I'm interested in, and anthropology is one of my big interests. Add into it that this book is fairly recent, claims to discuss a fair bit about other hominid species, etc. and it seemed like this book would be right up my alley. In some ways that was true, in other ways, not so much...

Previous reviewers have stated that [b: Sapiens|23692271|Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind|Yuval Noah Harari|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1420585954s/23692271.jpg|18962767] is a wonderful book for people who don't really know much about its subject. I'd agree with that statement wholeheartedly. While the book is a decent overview of common Anthropology 101 subjects, anywhere it attempts to go deeper the arguments begin to fall apart. To enjoy this book, I think you have to subscribe wholeheartedly to two concepts: biological determinism, and that hunter-gatherer societies were far superior to anything we humans are doing now. If you disagree on either point, you're in for a bit of a maddening read. The entirely latter 2/3rds of the book seem to be an argument for biological determinism and us eventually reaching the singularity, while the whole book seems to lament humankinds largest mistake - The Agricultural Revolution.

The whole of the book is pretty down on us as a species in general. While, yes, I agree we could do better when it comes to cooperating with the environment rather than subjugating it, there was a distinct lack of perspective in this narrative. Never was there the thought that we could change, or advice as to how to - always it was the old 'humans are terrible' narrative that isn't exactly encouraging. I much prefer the ecophilosophy present in books like [b: The Urban Bestiary|17333244|The Urban Bestiary Encountering the Everyday Wild|Lyanda Lynn Haupt|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1364181383s/17333244.jpg|24064548] and [b: Crow Planet|6438710|Crow Planet Essential Wisdom from the Urban Wilderness|Lyanda Lynn Haupt|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1344263351s/6438710.jpg|6628596] where there is actual advice for how to improve our situation rather than simply saying 'this is terrible.'

Throw in the fact that there are a lot of basic facts the author gets wrong and... I miss the days where [b: A Short History of Nearly Everything|21|A Short History of Nearly Everything|Bill Bryson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1433086293s/21.jpg|2305997] was the most popular science book out there. At least [a: Bill Bryson|7|Bill Bryson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1189096502p2/7.jpg] approached the subject with good humor and plain facts rather than pushing a pessimistic agenda upon his readers. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Since I have already read few books related to world history and believe that I am relatively familiar with history of human kind. Therefore initially I was reluctant about it but when I started reading this books I could not stop myself and finally finished it in couple of weeks. The book is written very beautifully, easy to understand and expalins history with different perspective which made me think about my knowledge of history. Even for a history grad it offers so much new to learn in a different way.
Dealing with the biggest question of our species..it explians the reasons for dominance of humans on earth through three main revolutions viz. #CognitiveRevolution, #AgricultureRevolution and #ScientificRevolution. It also beatifully explians the relationship between the evolution of humankind and its imapct on envirinment and biodiversity(Since the Agriculture Revolution biodiversity of earth has declined drastically).
Harari beautifully links the giant forces that control our world such as capitalism, science and empire provides a fresh perspective about it.
I completely loved this book and can't wait to read the next book of this series Homodeus.
Everyone should read this book. ( )
  kishore_kumar | Jun 13, 2018 |
My mind is blown. I didn’t expect to like Sapiens, but it flows well and it is filled with interesting information. Sapiens explains how we got to where we are and why it went down the way it did. It starts with why sapiens were the humans to survive over neanderthals and other species, and ends with why we could lead our own demise by giving birth to a new super human species. It explains why sapiens changed their way of living over time and the driving forces. It answers the big questions of why did Western Europe lead imperialism and how we are all now in a European influenced society no matter how much some cultures try to deny it. As well as why did capitalism become the go to economy over say communism. The focus is on three big revolutions, cognitive, agricultural, and scientific. Harari goes through each one explaining why the revolution happened and the lasting results on humankind. Sapiens goes beyond that though, it makes everything we value today, from religion, capitalism, nations, and culture, seem so pointless, but we can’t change it. What’s done is done, we can’t go back and change it now, just move forward. ( )
1 vote GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 28, 2018 |
Great Book about the History of Human Kind. Needs concentration but worth the effort ( )
  janettewilson | May 16, 2018 |
Much of Sapiens is extremely interesting, and it is often well expressed. As one reads on, however, the attractive features of the book are overwhelmed by carelessness, exaggeration and sensationalism.
added by Jozefus | editThe Guardian, Galen Strawson (Sep 11, 2014)

Jared Diamond hoort met Simon Schama, Bill Bryson en Charles Mann tot die zeldzame auteurs die inderdaad het grote verhaal vertellen. [...] Zijn recente werk, De wereld tot gisteren, is een brede vergelijking tussen de laatste primitieve samenlevingen, en de eenheidsworst die we nu 'beschaving' noemen. Diamond laat zien hoe 'primitief' we eigenlijk nog zijn, en hoe veel we van die volken kunnen leren. Hij zet aan tot denken. Harari laat de lezer in verwarring achter. [...] Harari beheerst de techniek, maar een 'groot verhaal' komt niet van de grond.
added by Jozefus | editde Volkskrant, Marcel Hulspas (Apr 12, 2014)

Yuval Noah Harariprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gower, NeilMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Purcell, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watzman, HaimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my father, Shlomo Harari
About 13.5 billion years ago, matter, energy, time, and space came into being in what is known as the Big Bang.
We study history not to know the future but to widen our horizons, to understand that our present situation is neither natural nor inevitable, and that we consequently have many more possibilities before us than we imagine.

"One hundred thousand years ago, at least six different species of humans inhabited Earth. Yet today there is only one--homo sapiens. What happened to the others? And what may happen to us? Most books about the history of humanity pursue either a historical or a biological approach, but Dr. Yuval Noah Harari breaks the mold with this highly original book that begins about 70,000 years ago with the appearance of modern cognition."--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,423,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible