Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by…

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (edition 2015)

by Yuval Noah Harari (Author)

5,2061841,368 (4.16)179
"From a renowned historian comes a groundbreaking narrative of humanity's creation and evolution--a #1 international bestseller--that explores the ways in which biology and history have defined us and enhanced our understanding of what it means to be "human." One hundred thousand years ago, at least six different species of humans inhabited Earth. Yet today there is only one--homo sapiens. What happened to the others? And what may happen to us? Most books about the history of humanity pursue either a historical or a biological approach, but Dr. Yuval Noah Harari breaks the mold with this highly original book that begins about 70,000 years ago with the appearance of modern cognition. From examining the role evolving humans have played in the global ecosystem to charting the rise of empires, Sapiens integrates history and science to reconsider accepted narratives, connect past developments with contemporary concerns, and examine specific events within the context of larger ideas .Dr. Harari also compels us to look ahead, because over the last few decades humans have begun to bend laws of natural selection that have governed life for the past four billion years. We are acquiring the ability to design not only the world around us, but also ourselves. Where is this leading us, and what do we want to become? Featuring 27 photographs, 6 maps, and 25 illustrations/diagrams, this provocative and insightful work is sure to spark debate and is essential reading for aficionados of Jared Diamond, James Gleick, Matt Ridley, Robert Wright, and Sharon Moalem"--… (more)
Member:asalamon
Title:Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Authors:Yuval Noah Harari (Author)
Info:Harper (2015), Edition: Reprint, 469 pages
Rating:***

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

Recently added byTheGlen, private library, hatapota, Linyarai, kevinholl, Stefan-Isaksson, ireneiroger, cjeskriett, Redclanger, shanen0
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond (Percevan)
    A Little History of the World by E. H. Gombrich (uitdepolder)
    A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Human Story Retold Through Our Genes by Adam Rutherford (jigarpatel)
    Lone Survivors by Chris Stringer (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Many readers comment that they found the first part of Sapiens the most interesting. Lone Survivors goes into more depth about that period of human history
    The Great Divide: Nature and Human Nature in the Old World and the New by Peter Watson (longway)
    The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong by Matthew Stewart (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: An interesting and critical look at things that we take for granted, giving the reader new perspectives on everything from strategi to time

English (149)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (5)  Catalan (5)  Italian (4)  German (4)  French (4)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (183)
This is such a wide ranging book, it is hard to categorize (probably why it is in the Cs) or even wrap my head around. I couldn't quite on down Harari's point of view; is he an optimist? A pessimist? Skeptic is about as far as I got and then just settled in and listened with an open mind.

I think I might have absorbed more if I had read the print book instead of the audio version. ( )
  Bodagirl | Jan 21, 2020 |
Interesting early but I felt a little long winded and preachy later. ( )
  ibkennedy | Jan 17, 2020 |
Makes you think

Overall a solid read. There are a few points where Harari seems to have his facts out of order, but in general the book does a good job of covering over 100,000 years and introducing the unanswerable questions about the future. ( )
  JessMahler | Jan 9, 2020 |
This history of the human species by turns fascinated, depressed, and infuriated me. The early chapters about how homo sapiens developed things like agriculture were the most interesting to me (perhaps because they presented the most information I didn't already know), and the second half was a slog of depression and irritation. I disagreed with little of Harari's facts and larger conclusions, but the way he presented the material (often in a manner that seemed designed to shock) I feel elided a lot of nuance and sometimes privileged the rhetorical choice of shocking the reader over following the logic of his own arguments. Which makes me cross. So, a mixed read for me, and kind of a disappointing one, as I was looking forward to it. It *did* make for a lively and interesting conversation at book club, so that was nice. ( )
  lycomayflower | Jan 8, 2020 |
My personal reading challenge 2019: A factual book.

The Good:

+ Presents interesting new ideas and concepts about mankind's rise to dominate Earth.
+ Writing style is highly readable but scientific enough to feel serious.
+ Covers a lot of ground convincingly; Harari has a strong argumentation and writes convincingly.
+ A good ground for further contemplation.
+ The beginning in particular presents some very interesting concepts.

The Bad:

- Harari ditches his interesting concepts by the halfway point and with it most of the hooks that keeps the reader interested.
- All in all, the book rarely touches upon subject that are actually new within science.

Verdict:
Immensely readable, Harari's book presents many interesting concepts that will keep people talking, but doesn't keep up its pace all the way to the end. ( )
  MrScallops | Jan 8, 2020 |
Much of Sapiens is extremely interesting, and it is often well expressed. As one reads on, however, the attractive features of the book are overwhelmed by carelessness, exaggeration and sensationalism.
added by Jozefus | editThe Guardian, Galen Strawson (Sep 11, 2014)

Jared Diamond hoort met Simon Schama, Bill Bryson en Charles Mann tot die zeldzame auteurs die inderdaad het grote verhaal vertellen. [...] Zijn recente werk, De wereld tot gisteren, is een brede vergelijking tussen de laatste primitieve samenlevingen, en de eenheidsworst die we nu 'beschaving' noemen. Diamond laat zien hoe 'primitief' we eigenlijk nog zijn, en hoe veel we van die volken kunnen leren. Hij zet aan tot denken. Harari laat de lezer in verwarring achter. [...] Harari beheerst de techniek, maar een 'groot verhaal' komt niet van de grond.
added by Jozefus | editde Volkskrant, Marcel Hulspas (Apr 12, 2014)

Harari, Yuval Noahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkins, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Purcell, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watzman, HaimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my father, Shlomo Harari
About 13.5 billion years ago, matter, energy, time, and space came into being in what is known as the Big Bang.
We study history not to know the future but to widen our horizons, to understand that our present situation is neither natural nor inevitable, and that we consequently have many more possibilities before us than we imagine.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,330,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible