Hunted (The Profiler) by Elizabeth Heiter

Hunted (The Profiler)

by Elizabeth Heiter

Loved this book. Kept me on the edge of my seat! ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
Hunted by Elizabeth Heiter
Profiler series Book #1
4 stars

From The Book:
Terror stalks a small Virginia town. FBI rising star, criminal profiler Evelyn Baine, knows how to think like a serial killer. But she's never chased anyone like the Bakersville Burier, who hunts young women and displays them, half-buried, deep in the woods. As the body count climbs, Evelyn's relentless pursuit of the killer puts her career—and her life—at risk. And the evil lurking in the Burier's mind may be more than even she can unravel.

Terror is closer than she thinks. The Bakersville Burier knows he's got an FBI profiler on his trail. He knows who she is and where to find her. And he's biding his time, because he's planned a special punishment for Evelyn. She may have tracked other killers, but he vows to make this her last chase. This time it's her turn to be hunted.

My Views:
You can tell that the author either had law enforcement experience or else did a great deal of excellent research. She has produced a clear and crisply written tale of a hunt for a serial killer that abducts, kills and buries the bodies with the heads above ground so that he can visit them.

The character of Evelyn Baine, the FBI profiler...the new gal in what has always been primarily a man's world...intelligent and professional...and being very careful to keep her guard up and not give in to her attraction to fellow agent, Kyle McKenzie, is a breath of fresh air in the world of Mystery & Suspense. I usually don't care for romance being mixed into this genre but in this case it's not overpowering the main plot and actually adds to it. This is the first book and I already have the second. ( )
  Carol420 | May 2, 2017 |
Hunted kicks off a series about Evelyn Baine who is a criminal profiler with the BAU. When she was a little girl her best friend was taken and never heard from again and from that point Evelyn made it her life's mission to become an FBI agent that tracked down these serial killers and put them away.

She worked very hard to get where she is in a short time and has a few chips on her shoulders along with few personal issues from her past. She's has sacrificed a personal life for the sole purpose of profiling and catching killers.

Her latest case involves murders where the killer kills and then buries his victims vertically leaving just the head exposed. She unknowingly comes on the killers radar and is taken herself but manages to get away. This leaves her very shaken as instead of her being the hunter she has become the victim and that role scares her and makes her even more determined to find the man responsible.

I enjoyed this mainly police procedure suspense. There isnt much in the way of romance but there is a mutual attraction between Evelyn and a member of the FBI Hostage Rescue Team that looks to be continued in the other books in the series. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
After meeting the author during an event in my local bookstore, I decided to read this first book in her Profiler series-- especially when my husband bought all three books and enjoyed each and every one. At first I found Evelyn Baine to be a bit too abrasive, a bit too driven, a bit too distrustful, to be sympathetic, but when Heiter began filling in the character's backstory that all began to change.

Although I did find certain scenes to be a bit predictable (such as a love interest drawn to unapproachable women as well as some of the plot twists), Evelyn's character did grab me and didn't want to let go. Her stubbornness, her resourcefulness, the way she pieces clues together, and the way she treats her grandmother won me over. Heiter also touches on how some men still view women agents in the FBI, which added depth to the story-- and she certainly has a sure hand with action sequences.

Now that I've learned to like this prickly FBI profiler, I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. Heiter seems to have an instinctive knowledge of just the right mix of mystery, action, and characterization. ( )
  cathyskye | Mar 24, 2016 |
Read for Fun (Physical Copy)
Overall Rating: DNF

Why the DNF: I was really sad to put this one down because the Thriller part was super well done. I did flip to the back to see how it all turned out. The problem was, the angst was super high and it kind of ruined the characters for me. It was like a super melodramatic Criminal Minds episode and that just doesn't work for me. The writing was excellent and the story flow was good. So if you like drama in your thrillers then I really think this will work for you.

How far I made it: 150 pages (yes I was trying really hard to push through) ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 20, 2015 |
For my mom, who made up stories for me as a child and who always supported me in my pursuit to tell my own stories.

And for Robbie Terman, who has walked this writing journey with me, and made every step better.
Prologue

HE SHOULD HAVE killed the old man.

Terror stalks a small Virginia town.

Terror is closer than she thinks…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

Terror stalks a small Virginia town. FBI rising star, criminal profiler Evelyn Baine, knows how to think like a serial killer. But she's never chased anyone like the Bakersville Burier, who hunts young women and displays them, half-buried, deep in the woods. As the body count climbs, Evelyn's relentless pursuit of the killer puts her career'and her life'at risk. And the evil lurking in the Burier's mind may be more than even she can unravel. Terror is closer than she thinks' The Bakersville Burier knows he's got an FBI profiler on his trail. He knows who she is and where to find her. And he's biding his time, because he's planned a special punishment for Evelyn. She may have tracked other killers, but he vows to make this her last chase. This time it's her turn to be hunted!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,927,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible