The Right to Write: An Invitation and…

The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life (1998)

by Julia Cameron

English (12)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
I've read this several times and still find inspiration every time from Julia Cameron. The audio version is a wonderful choice as she is also the reader. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Interesting ideas. Some of the authors approach is a little new age and eccentric for my taste, but I still found a great deal to identify with. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is a series of essays on various writing topics, like Practice, Procrastination, Dailiness, and more. I loved that approach because, though I read it straight through, it's definitely a book you could consume in bits and pieces. The advice is very accessible, and I never felt like Cameron was talking down on me. It was a great read, one I will definitely want to keep on my shelf, and one that truly inspired me. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Plain. Uninspiring. Religiously overtoned. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
For my writing mother, Dorothy Shea Cameron
I am sitting at a small pine table, facing east towards the Sangre de Cristo foothills.
"I practice exactly what I preach: if you dump drama into my life, I will put it and you onto the page."
"I would argue that the writing life is proof against loneliness. It is a balm for loneliness. It is an act of connection first to ourselves and then to others."
"If this sounds as if I am saying writing is therapy, let me be clear that I feel writing is something therapy often is not: writing is therapeutic."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0874779375, Hardcover)

Writing, for Julia Cameron, is neither solely vocation nor avocation: it is a way of life. It comes first thing in the morning, while the horses are waiting to be fed; it happens at the kitchen counter, while the onions are sautéing; it takes place on "dates" at café tables shared with likeminded friends; it unfurls in the mind as the '65 pickup "bucks over the rutted dirt roads like a stiff-legged bronco." The more than 40 brief personal essays that make up The Right to Write are an unyielding affirmation of the writing life and a denigration of all that gets in the way: busy schedules, procrastination, insecurity, lack of writing space, a day job--you get the point. Cameron's commonsense advice is liberating to anyone who has felt hampered by making a big deal out of writing (this "tends to make writing difficult. Keeping writing casual tends to keep it possible"), by not having the time to write ("Get aggressive. Steal time"), or the like. If you find a spirit that compares writing to revelation, prayer, and Zen pursuits, that might just attribute misguided communication to Mercury retrograde simpatico, then you will find much to embrace here. And you will never, never again dream of waiting for that commitment-free sabbatical in the south of France to get your writing project under way. --Jane Steinberg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:26 -0400)

"A comprehensive twelve-week program to recover your creativity from a variety of blocks, including limiting beliefs, fear, self-sabotage, jealousy, guilt, addictions, and other inhibiting forces, replacing them with artistic confidence and productivity."… (more)

56 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,095,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible