The Right To Write [audio] [abridged] by…

The Right To Write [audio] [abridged] (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Julia Cameron (Author)

Member:PhaedraB
Title:The Right To Write [audio] [abridged]
Authors:Julia Cameron (Author)
Info:Audio Renaissance (1998), Audio Cassette
Collections:Your library, to be deaccessioned, PEIB, Verify Cover, cover verified, packed
Tags:audio, creativity, writing, @e02

The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life by Julia Cameron (1998)

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
I have never copied so many quotes out of a book before. "The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation Into the Writing Life" by Julia Cameron not only inspired me, but also calmed and centered me. Ms. Cameron ascribes to the belief that everyone is a writer, that everyone is creative and has the right to express that creativity. They should not be discouraged from doing something they enjoy. Writers aren’t this special elite group set up high on an ivory tower with their jealous muses, but just people who work every day to create something. She talks about overcoming writers’ block, depression, discouragement, and many of the other evils that plague those in the arts. But most of all, she urges you to never give up and write every day.

I don’t agree with everything in "The Right to Write." For example, while I do think anyone can write if they want to, that doesn’t mean they will write well or be publishable. You may have the right to write, but that doesn’t mean I want everything others written, no matter how poor, shoved in my face and expect nothing but praise. (I take the giving and receiving of constructive criticism very seriously.) I don’t think that everyone has the mind or imagination or drive of a writer. ( )
  Starsister12 | Jan 18, 2014 |
one of the best self-help book on getting motivated to write. Get started with the creative process of writing.
  Isabella81 | Sep 14, 2010 |
EXCELLENT! ( )
  heartofwisdom | Dec 16, 2009 |
Delightful Julia Cameron's book The Right to Write beautifully drives home the core message that writing should be something anyone can do, and should do. Writing should not be a big, formal deal. She gives personal anecdotes and exercises to help all of us let the writing inside us come out in its own way. This book can help anyone who is even thinking about writing avoid the traps of guilt and negativity, feelings of unworthiness that are far too common. ( )
  briantomlin | Nov 15, 2009 |
This is by far my favorite book by Julia Cameron. If you are a writer who feels like your writing well has run dry, this is a MUST-read for you. You will find inspiration within the pages of this book. ( )
  hopewilbanks | Jul 8, 2008 |
For my writing mother, Dorothy Shea Cameron
I am sitting at a small pine table, facing east towards the Sangre de Cristo foothills.
"I practice exactly what I preach: if you dump drama into my life, I will put it and you onto the page."
"I would argue that the writing life is proof against loneliness. It is a balm for loneliness. It is an act of connection first to ourselves and then to others."
"If this sounds as if I am saying writing is therapy, let me be clear that I feel writing is something therapy often is not: writing is therapeutic."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0874779375, Hardcover)

Writing, for Julia Cameron, is neither solely vocation nor avocation: it is a way of life. It comes first thing in the morning, while the horses are waiting to be fed; it happens at the kitchen counter, while the onions are sautéing; it takes place on "dates" at café tables shared with likeminded friends; it unfurls in the mind as the '65 pickup "bucks over the rutted dirt roads like a stiff-legged bronco." The more than 40 brief personal essays that make up The Right to Write are an unyielding affirmation of the writing life and a denigration of all that gets in the way: busy schedules, procrastination, insecurity, lack of writing space, a day job--you get the point. Cameron's commonsense advice is liberating to anyone who has felt hampered by making a big deal out of writing (this "tends to make writing difficult. Keeping writing casual tends to keep it possible"), by not having the time to write ("Get aggressive. Steal time"), or the like. If you find a spirit that compares writing to revelation, prayer, and Zen pursuits, that might just attribute misguided communication to Mercury retrograde simpatico, then you will find much to embrace here. And you will never, never again dream of waiting for that commitment-free sabbatical in the south of France to get your writing project under way. --Jane Steinberg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:01 -0400)

"A comprehensive twelve-week program to recover your creativity from a variety of blocks, including limiting beliefs, fear, self-sabotage, jealousy, guilt, addictions, and other inhibiting forces, replacing them with artistic confidence and productivity."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,255,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible