Claudius the God by Robert Graves

Claudius the God (1934)

by Robert Graves

Series: Claudius (2)

A continuation of Graves' earlier work, I, Claudius, this fictional biography of the life of Claudius during his thirteen years as Emperor of Rome is a complete and compelling novel in itself.
Member:msbaba
Title:Claudius the God
Authors:Robert Graves
Info:
Tags:Fiction, Classic fiction, Ancient culture fiction, Biographical fiction

Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves (1934)

English (32)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
This and I,Claudius are historical fiction at its finest. Claudius The God is much longer and slower in some places, but I think it's a more nuance look at the times than it's predecessor. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote Mitchell_Bergeson_Jr | Aug 6, 2017 |
And his wife Messalina
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
“Most men—it is my experience—are neither virtuous nor scoundrels, good-hearted nor bad-hearted. They are a little of one thing and a little of the other and nothing for any length of time: ignoble mediocrities.”

Claudius the God is the sequel to I, Claudius, and takes up the story two tears after Claudius was made emperor and after telling the backstory of Claudius' charismatic friend Herod Agrippa, concentrates on the 13 year tenure of Claudius. Claudius survived his murderous predecessors chiefly because he was thought too stupid to be a threat and of as a harmless fool, However, when he becomes Emperor he generally proves himself to be quite adept with his public life, recovering the eagles lost by Varus in the German forest, made Ostia a thriving port, wrote a dictionary and conquered Britain.

Claudius's private life though is a mess and portrayed as easily manipulted by his various wives in particular the promiscuous and debauched Messalina's. This gives a certain poignancy to the overall tale. Claudius wants to abdicate and restore the Republic but soon realises that ironically he is the only one that does .The Empire's elite are merely jockeying for position and power whilst the Army and the people themselves seem to prefer a strong autocrat as a leader. So reluctantly he is forced to carry on until in his sixty-fourth year he is seemingly finally murdered.

Without the sheer madness of Caligula of the first novel this one loses some of that humour but that said this novel is a worthy finale to Graves' powerful and original overview of this interesting and barbaric period in history IMHO. A period of history that is still recognisable today. ( )
1 vote PilgrimJess | Mar 29, 2016 |
One of my favorite books EVER. I simply adore Claudius; and find him lovable and charming. Graves breathes life into characters so historic and legendary, and makes the reader feel as though we are actually living in Ancient Rome. Graves does all this, while simultaneously keeping the integrity of history. It's the book that got me convinced I can read and really love historical fiction as a genre, as much as fiction. I've introduced this book to many friends, as it was introduced to me by a friend. I highly recommend it-- your perception of Roman history will be forever deepened! ( )
1 vote Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
My copy just says "Claudius the God". 1962 used copy with a cover featuring a chipped, mosaic portrait of Claudius holding a broken eagle scepter. ( )
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
Tartamudo, tullido, despreciado por sus sanguinarios parientes (como su sobrino Calígula), Claudio, sin embargo, los sobrevive a todos, acompañado por su lasciva esposa, hasta caer asesinado a manos de Agripina, la madre del emperador Nerón.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

(BORN 10 B.C., DIED A. D. 54),
AS DESCRIBED BY HIMSELF;
ALSO HIS MURDER AT THE HANDS OF THE
NOTORIOUS AGRIPPINA
(MOTHER OF THE EMPEROR NERO)
AND HIS SUBSEQUENT DEIFICATION,
AS DESCRIBED BY
OTHERS
Two years have gone by since I finished writing the long story of how I, Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus, the cripple, the stammerer, the fool of the family, whom none of his ambitious and bloody-minded relatives considered worth the trouble of executing, poisoning, forcing to suicide, banishing to a desert island or starving to death—which was how they one by one got rid of each other—how I survived them all, even my insane nephew Gaius Caligula, and was one day unexpectedly acclaimed Emperor by the corporals and sergeants of the Palace Guard.

Legacy Library: Robert Graves

Robert Graves has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Robert Graves's legacy profile.

See Robert Graves's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,952,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible