Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Death Come Quickly by Susan Wittig Albert

Death Come Quickly

by Susan Wittig Albert

Series: China Bayles Mysteries (22)

Art fraud and murder. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Death Comes Quickly is the twenty-second book in the China Bayles Mysteries series.

Another enjoyable visit with China Bayles and Ruby Wilcox at Thyme and Seasons Herb Shop and Crystal Cove.

Ruby and China learn from Felicity Prior that her mother Karen Prior, a member of the faculty in the radio-television department CTSU is is the hospital after having been attacked in the parking lot of nearby mall. Karen is a faculty advisor to two graduate students, Kitt and Gretchen, who are working on project for school which is a documentary on the murder of Christine Morris. Felicity believes that her mother might have been meeting someone about the film the students are working on The Morris murder has been declared a cold case by police. Soon Prior succumbs to her injuries. Then Kitt get a phone call warning her about working on the filme and soon Gretchen goes missing. She is soon found in a jantorial closet with minor injuries from an assault. The video camera that has been used for the documentary has been stolen along with flash drive that also has parts of their work to date on it.

China's step-son, Jake, is dating Gretchen's sister, so this tragic event has hit close to home and feels compelled to start looking into who might want this cold case to remain cold.

This was another exciting visit with China and her friends. Also included are interesting chapter heading dealing with deadly plants and herbs. Delicious recipes are included in the book.

Never get tired of visiting with China and her friends. Looking forward to reading the next in the series. ( )
  FredYoder | May 10, 2015 |
DEATH COME QUICKLY was sent to me by the publisher to review and is the first book I’ve read in the China Bayles series. I’ll admit that when I purchase books, unless it’s a series I already know, the cover is what draws me in. Don’t get me wrong, the covers in this series are beautiful, they’re just not the cozy covers I’m used to, so I never gave them a chance. Well, I’m happy the chance was given to me.

I enjoyed the way Ms. Albert started each chapter with “Herbs of Good and Ill Omen”. It was extremely interesting to learn about the beliefs associated with all the different plants me mentioned.

I really liked the character China. She’s a wonderful protagonist. I felt a connection with her right away. All the characters in the story are incredibly well written and so multidimensional.

The story itself is extremely compelling. Very detailed and intriguing. It had much more happening than the back cover description alone would lead you to believe. And it as a pleasant surprise to find recipes at the end of the book.

I now know what so many other readers before me already knew. . . . Susan Wittig Albert is a great author and she now has a new fan of the China Bayles series in me. ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Apr 1, 2015 |
China solves a cold case involving art forgery. This is a totally reliable, and enjoyable series. As China is an herbalist the books are filled with interesting herbal facts. ( )
  pennykaplan | Aug 18, 2014 |
In DEATH COME QUICKLY, China Bayles tries to solve the mugging and killing of a friend in an isolated parking lot. Karen Prior taught film making at a local college. Two of her grad students were working on a documentary about a decades old murder at the time of the attack. After they received threats, China and, to a lesser extent, her friends and husband try to learn the connection, if any, between the murders. The police work in the original case was really shoddy and most of the pivotal people have since died.
There are references to previous books in the series, but it is not necessary to have read them to appreciate this one. The book contains information about herbs as well as nine recipes at the end, many of which use rose petals.
If you are a China Bayles fan, you will not be disappointed. If you haven’t read any others, you can start with this one then go back to some of the others to learn how the characters got together and what they have gone through.
Two criticisms, both somewhat minor. Susan Wittig Albert does not do much repetition, which I appreciate. At one point she provides an almost identical description of a modern house. Second, when China is fighting through tough traffic in Houston, she is talking on her phone. While she doesn’t have to hold the phone in her hand, the conversation does distract her from concentrating on the road and other drivers, especially when the weather is bad. ( )
  Judiex | Jun 7, 2014 |

Hoermann, Susan K.Author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lucia Ferrara Bettler,
always an inspiration
The shopping mall was originally built in the 1970s, when Pecan Springs was still hardly more than a small town on the lip of the Balcones Escarpment, at the eastern edge of the Texas Hill country.

“One of the most endearing and personable amateur sleuths” (Midwest Book Review), herbalist and ex-lawyer China Bayles is back. In Death Come Quickly, a friend’s murder may be the key to solving a fifteen-year-old cold case…

When China’s and Ruby’s friend Karen Prior is mugged in a mall parking lot and dies a few days later, China begins to suspect that her friend’s death was not a random assault. Karen was a filmmaker supervising a student documentary about the fifteen-year-old murder of a woman named Christine Morris and the acquittal of the man accused of the crime. Is it possible that the same person who killed Christine Morris targeted Karen?

Delving into the cold case, China learns the motive for the first murder may be related to a valuable collection of Mexican art. Enlisting the help of her San Antonio lawyer friend Justine Wyzinski—aka the Whiz—China is determined to track down the murderer. But is she painting herself into a corner from which there’s no escape?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:44 -0400)

"When China's and Ruby's friend Karen Prior is mugged in a mall parking lot and dies a few days later, China begins to suspect that her friend's death was not a random assault. Karen was a filmmaker supervising a student documentary about the fifteen-year-old murder of a woman named Christine Morris and the acquittal of the man accused of the crime. Is it possible that the same person who killed Christine Morris targeted Karen? Delving into the cold case, China learns the motive for the first murder may be related to a valuable collection of Mexican art. Enlisting the help of her San Antonio lawyer friend Justine Wyzinski--aka the Whiz--China is determined to track down the murderer. But is she painting herself into a corner from which there's no escape?"--… (more)

Susan Wittig Albert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible