Wedding Wipeout: A Rabbi Kappelmacher…

Wedding Wipeout: A Rabbi Kappelmacher Mystery

by Jacob M. Appel

11945146,436 (3.55)1

I really like this book. This humorous murder mystery is a fun read. The vast array of characters made up the enjoyable story line. ( )
  tellen81 | Dec 14, 2018 |
I really enjoyed Wedding Wipeout far more than I was expecting to. The story-line is brilliant and the mystery is so good that you want to keep on reading.

Rabbi Kappelmacher is planning to retire and is training his assistant, Rabbi Steinmetz, to follow in his footsteps, however, things get interesting when a visitor arrives. Former assistant Rabbi, Marshall Green, is now a lawyer with a case to solve.

One of his firm’s clients has died under suspicious circumstances. An elderly woman, Florence Eisenstein had just married the man she had been dating for the last several months, Alfred Shingle. The morning after her wedding, she is found dead in her bed.

She and her sister, Lorraine, were to be the heirs to their father’s egg cream fortune. Their father’s will, however, stipulated that if either of them married her allowance would cease and the proceeds would immediately pass to the other sister. So why, after so many years of unmarried contentment, did Florence decide to marry and also announce to her family that she had found a way to break the will? A will that, as far as Green was aware, was unbreakable. And why did she say that she was disinheriting her nephew, with whom she was on good terms?

Though Wedding Wipeout appears to be a typical mystery novel and is rather reminiscent of Agatha Christies's Poirot, it's actually quite a refreshing take on the mystery genre. Rabbi Kappelmacher and his sidekick, Rabbi Steinmetz have a very entertaining partnership whilst visiting with suspects and eyewitnesses. I particularly liked the wit and dry humour that was evident throughout the book, although I think that some of the humour and certainly some of the references, may have been lost on me, not being Jewish.

Green believes Florence may have been murdered, even though her own doctor ruled it an accidental death. Using his wit and rabbinic reasoning, Kappelmacher unravels all of the misleading information, red herrings and lies to reveal the truth, whilst Steinmetz tries to keep pace with him.

Wedding Wipeout was a wonderful read. I greatly look forward to reading more books by Jacob M Appel.

Thanks to LibraryThing and the author for a copy of Wedding Wipeout, via Members Giveaway. ( )
  Manic-Midge | Dec 10, 2018 |
This review is in exchange for a copy of the book. This book is quirky, funny, witty and hilarious. A mystery of a death at hand and 2 rabbi's were the detectives on the case! While I enjoyed every bit of the story and the way it was written, I thought the ending was rushed. ( )
  corybyr | Nov 20, 2018 |
Nothing could thrill me more than to have Rabbi Kappelmacher as my religious leader. He is full of humor, sarcasm and intellect. Mr. Appel has a way of bringing his characters to life and making them real people...someone you would want to know. The interplay among the characters was very interesting.

The story had me going from the very beginning and I did not see the end until the last few pages when all was revealed about the mystery. The plot and mystery were well written and I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to others. I received this book in return for review. ( )
  hazeleyeflgal | Oct 21, 2018 |
I received this book in Return For Review.
An intelligent mystery! Twists, turns, blind alleys, surprises! Loved it! Great read reminiscent of the old 1940’s Charlie Chan movies including an interesting and gripping reveal that answers all the questions you had and some that you may not have formulated along the way!It was fascinating to read how Kappelmacher thinks while he tries to reason out the facts. He has an interesting sense of humor too which is well displayed throughout the entire novel. As a religious leader, one would think that lying would be frowned upon.
Jacob Appel never disappoints. Mystery, murder , and a good dose of silliness -- three key ingredients for a good sleuthing novel. Wedding Wipeout delivers with the help of Rabbi Kappelmacher.Apparently posing as an FBI agent is acceptable in a murder investigation. ( )
  bookofjane | Oct 2, 2018 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book Wedding Wipeout is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,917,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible