Who killed my daughter? [1994 paperback ed.]…

Who killed my daughter? [1994 paperback ed.]

by Lois Duncan

I just read this book in one sitting. I'm serious, I honestly didn't put this book down once. It was heartbreaking and terrifying. The psychic phenomena in the book was almost a little much for me. I can't lie, it has me a little freaked out right now. ( )
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
I was waiting for my daughter in the library one day and this book caught my eye. I started it while waiting for her because I had vaguely remembered hearing something about the case. The book is by Lois Duncan, a very famous author whose daughter was murdered when she was eighteen. How you feel about the book probably depends on how you feel about past lives and psychics. This was kind of a frustrating book to read. The initial pages hook you in and then there is page after page of psychic mumbo jumbo that from an objective point makes no sense. Seriously, you could apply it to anything. Poor Lois spends many more pages hashing it out with her family in an effort to try to make sense of it. The murder happened over twenty years ago when forensics weren't what they are now and the police had no leads that panned out. My not caring for the book has nothing to do with my feelings for Lois herself. She has my utmost empathy. If something like that happened to my daughter I would entertain every crack pot too. However you cannot avoid the fact that if the psychics had something the case would have been solved. The story is a real travel back in time. Lois actually uses a phone book to try to find witnesses. Even with the internet I have not been able to find any progress that has been made in the case which leads to the other reason I felt frustrated. There is no satisfying end to the story. It is beyond awful having your daughter murdered and double that when you can't get justice. I really hope her family gets their answer someday. Very sad indeed. ( )
  arielfl | Aug 17, 2013 |
This is a very intriguing book! I did not know that this happened to Lois Duncan. What happened to her daughter was so much like the mystery/thriller books that she writes. That was what kept my attention. That, and the fact that Lois Duncan had the sheer will to find out what happened to her daughter when the police wouldn't. That kind of bureaucracy was enraging and kept me reading to find out how Lois Duncan would deal with the police officers in charge of her daughter's case. ( )
  CaraLPeacock | Jun 29, 2010 |
An excellent heartwarming book-a true story that I never was aware of. Lois Duncan put her personal feelings aside and wrote a worthy story of her own daughter's murder. ( )
  KWoman | Jun 7, 2009 |
This one is really hard to review. I don't know how to critique it without giving away the ending. Let's just say that I found the ending disappointing, I had issues with the whole "psychic" aspect, and I didn't connect with the author because she just seemed too objective. I know the whole objectivity thing comes from being an author, but for me, if I lost a child I would be a basketcase. For years. And I know that everyone grieves differently, but that just led to a disconnect for me. Anyone who wants to read this ... I'm putting it back on BookMooch. ( )
  annekiwi | May 5, 2009 |
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

-- Krishnamurti
For Kaitlyn Clare Arquette

September 18, 1970 - July 17, 1989

with love
Our teenage daughter was chased down and shot to death while driving home from a girlfriend's house on a peaceful Sunday evening. (Author's note)
Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there dwelt a man who was a teacher of things strange and wonderful. (Prologue)
Our daughter, Kaitlyn Arquette, was murdered in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Sunday, July 16, 1989.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440213428, Mass Market Paperback)

The best-selling young adult novelist recounts her daughter's mysterious shooting death and her own investigation into the crime, describing her use of a psychic to contact her dead child and expose the truth. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 20:39:02 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible