Who killed my daughter? by Lois Duncan

Who killed my daughter?

by Lois Duncan

With a promise to see her family later, eighteen-year-old Kaitlyn Arquette rushed out the door into the balmy midsummer evening. Little did Kaitlyn's mother, Lois Duncan realize that those were the last words she would ever hear her daughter speak. On July 16, 1989, Kaitlyn was shot to death as she drove home from a friend's house along a deserted strip of New Mexico highway. The police concluded that it was a random shooting - even though it showed all the earmarks of a professional hit...

Kaitlyn's brutal murder left her family broken-hearted and grieving, and her mother pondering a thousand unanswered questions. Who would put out a contract on a beautiful young honor student? Was it grief that made Kaitlyn's Vietnamese lover try to take his own life? - Or was it not an attempted suicide at all?

Lois Duncan's search for answers would eventually lead her into the seamy underworld of Vietnamese gangs that stretched across three states. It would lead her to an extraordinary psychic and to a courageous journalist determined to expose the devastating truth. And it would send her on a soul-numbing odyssey into Kaitlyn's shocking double life as she desperately sought justice for the daughter she would always love...even in the face of shattering betrayal and threats to her own life.

Today, Lois Duncan's search for her daughter's killer continues. She will never give up. The best-selling young adult novelist has made finding her daughter's killer her life's mission. After all, a mother's blood vow to her deceased daughter is paramount.

I thought this was a truly heartrending book. I completely sympathized with Ms. Duncan's burning desire to discover the entire devastating truth behind her daughter's still unsolved murder. As an author of young adult suspense novels, Ms. Duncan proves that sometimes the most terrifying and suspenseful events are the ones that actually happen.

Understandably, this was perhaps the most difficult book for Lois Duncan to write, because this is a story that involves herself and her family. Her relentless search for justice for Kaitlyn is a quality for which I admire her greatly. I was certainly aware that Ms. Duncan was an author of young adult novels (Mareena read quite a lot of her novels while she was in high school), but I never realized that her youngest daughter was actually murdered, and that Kaitlyn Arquette's murder was still unsolved to this day.

Despite feeling tremendous sympathy for Lois Duncan and her family for their daughter's murder, I must also admit to feeling slightly angry at Kaitlyn herself. She was eighteen-years-old and got involved in an impossibly dangerous situation - one that ultimately cost her her life. While it is certainly true that young people will do anything for love - and teenagers can and do make mistakes - what Kaitlyn did subsequently endangered her entire family.

This book was certainly well-wriitten, but it was so convoluted that I had trouble sorting out the plot of the murder. I give Who Killed my Daughter? by Lois Duncan an A! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jun 18, 2014 |
I just read this book in one sitting. I'm serious, I honestly didn't put this book down once. It was heartbreaking and terrifying. The psychic phenomena in the book was almost a little much for me. I can't lie, it has me a little freaked out right now. ( )
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
I was waiting for my daughter in the library one day and this book caught my eye. I started it while waiting for her because I had vaguely remembered hearing something about the case. The book is by Lois Duncan, a very famous author whose daughter was murdered when she was eighteen. How you feel about the book probably depends on how you feel about past lives and psychics. This was kind of a frustrating book to read. The initial pages hook you in and then there is page after page of psychic mumbo jumbo that from an objective point makes no sense. Seriously, you could apply it to anything. Poor Lois spends many more pages hashing it out with her family in an effort to try to make sense of it. The murder happened over twenty years ago when forensics weren't what they are now and the police had no leads that panned out. My not caring for the book has nothing to do with my feelings for Lois herself. She has my utmost empathy. If something like that happened to my daughter I would entertain every crack pot too. However you cannot avoid the fact that if the psychics had something the case would have been solved. The story is a real travel back in time. Lois actually uses a phone book to try to find witnesses. Even with the internet I have not been able to find any progress that has been made in the case which leads to the other reason I felt frustrated. There is no satisfying end to the story. It is beyond awful having your daughter murdered and double that when you can't get justice. I really hope her family gets their answer someday. Very sad indeed. ( )
  arielfl | Aug 17, 2013 |
This is a very intriguing book! I did not know that this happened to Lois Duncan. What happened to her daughter was so much like the mystery/thriller books that she writes. That was what kept my attention. That, and the fact that Lois Duncan had the sheer will to find out what happened to her daughter when the police wouldn't. That kind of bureaucracy was enraging and kept me reading to find out how Lois Duncan would deal with the police officers in charge of her daughter's case. ( )
  CaraLPeacock | Jun 29, 2010 |
An excellent heartwarming book-a true story that I never was aware of. Lois Duncan put her personal feelings aside and wrote a worthy story of her own daughter's murder. ( )
  KWoman | Jun 7, 2009 |
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

-- Krishnamurti
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

-- Krishnamurti
For Kaitlyn Clare Arquette

September 18, 1970 - July 17, 1989

with love
Our teenage daughter was chased down and shot to death while driving home from a girlfriend's house on a peaceful Sunday evening. (Author's note)
Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there dwelt a man who was a teacher of things strange and wonderful. (Prologue)
Our daughter, Kaitlyn Arquette, was murdered in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Sunday, July 16, 1989.
The original edition was published in 1992.   An expanded edition was published in 1994 with an additional chapter called an Afterword.  I don't believe that there is not a great deal of difference, otherwise.  They are separated when it is clear which edition is referred to, but this may not be perfect.

[retrieved 8/26/2013 from Amazon.com]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440213428, Mass Market Paperback)

The best-selling young adult novelist recounts her daughter's mysterious shooting death and her own investigation into the crime, describing her use of a psychic to contact her dead child and expose the truth. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 20:39:02 -0400)

"A true story of a mother's search for her daughter's murderer"--Cover subtitle.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible