Collected Poems by Philip Larkin

Collected Poems

by Philip Larkin (Author), Anthony Thwaite (Editor)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
If you are feeling curmudgeonly or bitter, there are some good poems here for that. (Other kinds, too). ( )
  kgib | Mar 31, 2013 |
This Be The Verse - Happy Father's Day!

I feel like a liar whenever I mark down a good book of poetry as 'read'. You don't read it straight through, and you don't ever finish it. With poetry (and memorable fiction) you go back and reference the good bits infrequently. Larkin's joining that group, no question.

So what if the man is a shitheel? What he created will endure, beautiful and decayed as it is. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
Didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked/anticipated. I did enjoy the individual collections "The Less Deceived" and "The Whitsun Weddings" more than anything else pretty much. Poetry, however, may be like music, and a first reading is not enough. Thus I'll reread it eventually. ( )
  progmetal420 | Oct 29, 2012 |
True story: I was once on a train that stopped at what I thought was Hull (but actually turned out to be Doncaster, because wow, I suck) and this very good looking young man got on and we gave each other the ~eye. Being the dithering ditherer that I am, I sent my friend the following text:
"V. fit young man on train. Potential opening gambit: "Hello, are you excited to be in the land of Philip Larkin?" I am sure this will lead to mucho canoodling."
To which my friend responded:
"But what if he doesn't like yr Larkin?"
My adour was instantly cooled by the (quite likely) prospect, not unlike Colin Firth jumping into a pond. I did not have a brief and tragic romance with the young man, nor did I even bother talking to him. I put on my headphones and listened to early Manic Street Preachers albums while gazing at the English countryside. Moodily.
This is what Philip Larkin does to you. He gets inside your head and COCKBLOCKS YOU FROM THE GRAVE. He makes you take his poems as usernames, and then tempts you to consider visiting Hull which, might I remind you, has been voted the shittest town in Britain on more than one occassion!
You should definitely read this collection... unless you want to have sex or be happy ever again, but who needs that? ( )
2 vote whitsunweddings | Sep 15, 2011 |
They fcuk you up, your mum and dad
they may not mean to, but they do
What is a poem?
She asked..............
Another person's nonsense
She answered. ( )
  NeilT | Apr 16, 2011 |

Larkin, PhilipAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thwaite, AnthonyEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Linney, SueCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

One of the best-known and best-loved poets of the English-speaking world, Philip Larkin had only a small number of poems published during his lifetime. Collected Poems brings together not only all his books--The North Ship, The Less Deceived, The Whitsun Weddings, and High Windows--but also his uncollected poems from 1940 to 1984.

This new edition reflects Larkin's own ordering for his poems and is the first collection to present the body of his work with the organization he preferred. Preserving everything he published in his lifetime, the new Collected Poems is an indispensable contribution to the legacy of an icon of twentieth-century poetry.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:45 -0400)

One of the best-known and best-loved poets of the English-speaking world, Philip Larkin had only a small number of poems published during his lifetime. "Collected Poems" brings together not only all his books--"The North Ship," "The Less Deceived," "The Whitsun Weddings," and "High Windows-"-but also his uncollected poems from 1940 to 1984. This new edition reflects Larkin's own ordering for his poems and is the first collection to present the body of his work with the organization he preferred. Preserving everything he published in his lifetime, the new "Collected Poems" is an indispensable contribution to the legacy of an icon of twentieth-century poetry.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible