American Gods by Neil Gaiman

American Gods

by Neil Gaiman

Series: American Gods (Expanded Version)

Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman (HoudeRat)
    Sandman 10 Volume Slipcase Set by Neil Gaiman (HoudeRat)
    The Absolute Sandman Volume One by Neil Gaiman (zapzap)
    The Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis (charlie68)
    charlie68: Some common themes
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works have elements of religion and belief. They are both mystical in very different ways.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that one's actions can lead to unintended consequences.

English (134)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All (138)
A great way to spend a few afternoons. Great writing and some deep themes with a mystery at the core. ( )
  charlie68 | Mar 31, 2018 |
On its surface this book might be a road trip through most of America, a bit of a mystery, maybe some romance tossed into the mix....but mostly it's about this conglomerate of country we have created, all the beliefs and myths we brought with us from around the world, and how that hodgepodge of characters interact with each other, plus as times moves on how they are losing ground, and what we are worshipping and giving power to now in their stead. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Even better than I remembered. Fantastic book. Neil Gaiman is brilliant. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
What an overlong and underwhelming book! No character inspired strong feelings, nothing beyond mild like or dislike. Curiosity kept me reading to the end, hoping to understand what has made this book popular. No joy ( )
  SharronA | Jan 25, 2018 |
Shadow is just days away from the end of his prison sentence when he finds out his wife and best friend have been killed in a car accident. With his post-release plans shattered, Shadow ends up working for the mysterious Mr. Wednesday, who has an uncanny ability to appear exactly where and when he’s needed. Shadow and Wednesday end up taking a road trip across America to bring together all the old gods, the ones people brought over when they immigrated from the Old World as well as the gods of the First People, as they fight the gods of the modern age for supremacy.

This is a highly ambitious book and one that works best when you can sink into it for extended periods uninterrupted. I enjoyed the road trip aspects and the ways the old gods presented themselves in the modern day, especially when the light bulb came on and I realized who a given character was. It’s making me want to explore the mythologies of other cultures and more fully “get” all of the references (I’m sure there are some I’m missing… the Egyptian and Norse mythology I was pretty solid on, but there’s way more for me to learn.) About the only thing I could really have done without was the “worship” scene early in the book, and that’s something I’m going to have to fast-forward through in the TV adaptation.

I read the 10th anniversary edition with the author’s preferred text. It would be an interesting exercise to compare the original release with this edition to see what exactly has changed, although Gaiman does provide some introductory and concluding material to explain roughly what he changed and how he went about putting together the preferred version. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 21, 2018 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

One question that has always intrigued me is what happens to demonic beings when immigrants move from their homelands. Irish-Americans remember the fairies, Norwegian-Americans the nisser, Greek-Americans the vryókolas, but only in relation to events remembered in the Old Country. When I once asked why such demons were not seen in America, my informants giggled confusedly and said, "They're scared to pass the ocean, it's too far," pointing out that Christ and the apostles never came to America.

--Richard Dorson, "A Theory For American Folklore", American Folklore and the Historian
The boundaries of our country sir? Why sir, on the north we are bounded by the Aurora Borealis, on the east we are bounded by the rising sun, on the south we are bounded by the procession of the Equinoxes, and on the west by the Day of Judgement
-The American Joe Miller's Jest Book
They took her to the cemet'ry
In a big ol' cadillac
They took her to the cemet'ry
But they did not bring her back.
-old song
For absent friends--Kathy Acker and Roger Zelazny, and all points between
Shadow had done three years in prison.
Fiction allows us to slide into these other heads, these other places, and look out through other eyes. And then in the tale we stop before we die, or we die vicariously and unharmed, and in the world beyond the tale we turn the page or close the book, and we resume our lives.
"A town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but without a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul."
When people came to America they brought us with them. They brought me, and Loki, and Thor, Anansi and the Lion-God, Leprechauns and Kobalds and Banshees, Kubera and Frau Holle and Ashtaroth, and the brought you. We rode here in their minds, and we took root. We travelled with the settlers to the new lands across the ocean.
The land is vast. Soon enough, our people abandoned us, remembered us only as creatures of the old land, as things that had not come with them to the new. Our true believers passed on, or stopped believing, and we were left, lost and scared and dispossessed, only what little smidgens of worship or belief we could find. And to get by as best we could.
'So that's what we've done, gotten by, out on the edges of things, where no-one was watching us too closely.'
Gods die. And when they truly die they are unmourned and unremembered. Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end.
All we have to believe with is our senses, the tools we use to perceive the world: our sight, our touch, our memory. If they lie to us, then nothing can be trusted. And even if we do not believe, then still we cannot travel in any other way than the road our senses show us; and we must walk that road to the end.
There's never been a true war that wasn't fought between two sets of people who were certain they were in the right. The really dangerous people believe they are doing whatever they are doing solely and only because it is without question the right thing to do. And that is what makes them dangerous.
The first edition of this title was published in 2001. The 10th anniversary edition with the author's preferred text, is an expanded edition published in 2011. Please do not combine.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062059882, Hardcover)

American Gods is Neil Gaiman's best and most ambitious novel yet, a scary, strange, and hallucinogenic road-trip story wrapped around a deep examination of the American spirit. Gaiman tackles everything from the onslaught of the information age to the meaning of death, but he doesn't sacrifice the razor-sharp plotting and narrative style he's been delivering since his Sandman days.

Shadow gets out of prison early when his wife is killed in a car crash. At a loss, he takes up with a mysterious character called Wednesday, who is much more than he appears. In fact, Wednesday is an old god, once known as Odin the All-father, who is roaming America rounding up his forgotten fellows in preparation for an epic battle against the upstart deities of the Internet, credit cards, television, and all that is wired. Shadow agrees to help Wednesday, and they whirl through a psycho-spiritual storm that becomes all too real in its manifestations. For instance, Shadow's dead wife Laura keeps showing up, and not just as a ghost--the difficulty of their continuing relationship is by turns grim and darkly funny, just like the rest of the book.

Armed only with some coin tricks and a sense of purpose, Shadow travels through, around, and underneath the visible surface of things, digging up all the powerful myths Americans brought with them in their journeys to this land as well as the ones that were already here. Shadow's road story is the heart of the novel, and it's here that Gaiman offers up the details that make this such a cinematic book--the distinctly American foods and diversions, the bizarre roadside attractions, the decrepit gods reduced to shell games and prostitution. "This is a bad land for Gods," says Shadow.

More than a tourist in America, but not a native, Neil Gaiman offers an outside-in and inside-out perspective on the soul and spirituality of the country--our obsessions with money and power, our jumbled religious heritage and its societal outcomes, and the millennial decisions we face about what's real and what's not. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:58 -0400)

After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the time until his release ticks away, he can feel a storm brewing. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But the storm is about to break... Disturbing, gripping and profoundly strange, Gaiman's epic new novel sees him on the road to the heart of America.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,572,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible