The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and…

The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia

by Candace Fleming

Recently added byCrayolaCrayon, torirusso, asomers, fbwclib, private library, davidgn, mhagenberg, bcslibrary181

Very interesting account of the life of the last tsar of Russia. It reads like a novel. He was so ill equipped to handle the leadership role that was thrust upon him. It brings to mind some comparisons that might be made to some of our own recent political candidates. ( )
  asomers | Sep 23, 2015 |
This informational text would be good to use as a resources for a paper or a project, a good choice for recreational reading, or a good literature circle choice. This is the story of the last imperial family of Russia and includes information not only about the famous figures during this time period, but also the social conditions within Russia. The text includes multiple primary sources including photos, and excerpts from letters, diaries, memoirs, and more. The primary sources are interspersed within the narrative seamlessly and provide students with insight that a secondary source alone is unable to do.
  bflanagan | Jul 31, 2015 |
This was a fascinating book, giving you a real sense of who the Romanov's are and what was going on in Russia during this time. Candace Fleming is a great storyteller, and the photographs help complete the picture. Fleming really helps the reader understand this era in Russian history and why the Romanov's fell. ( )
  Steininger | Jul 24, 2015 |
A first-rate chronicle of the life, times, and violent end of the Russian Empire's last royal family. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Let me begin by saying that I could not wait to read this book. I looked all over my local bookstores and could not locate a copy. When I found that our library had a copy, I could barely contain my excitement. Candace Fleming did not disappoint.
Fleming takes a look at the life of the last Romanov family, from their beginning to their horrible end. Fleming also takes a look at what Russia was like during the last Tsar’s reign. Fleming uses a variety of primary sources to aid in her telling of Russian life and the Romanov rule.
In Bibliography section, Fleming tells what led her to writing this book. She sought to find the answers to a variety of question like, “How did this happen?” and “How did this rich...beautiful family related by blood or marriage to almost every royal house in Europe end up in a Siberian cellar?” (p. 256). Fleming answers these and many other questions.
In the final section of the book where the murders are mentioned, I found myself crying for this family and what they endured. Yes, they were nobility that many Russians blamed for their problems. But at the end of the day, they were a family; a father, a mother, three sister, and a little brother.
One aspect that I really liked was the pieces “Beyond the Palace Gates”, these pieces gave the reader a view of what Russian life was like for those who lived in the most horrible conditions of the country, the peasants. These pieces allow one to see the huge gap between those few who were lucky to live the live of a noble and the majority of people who lived in poverty.
If I could change one thing about this book it would be the pictures. I would have preferred to have the pictures within the chapters they were in reference to. Fleming does indicate which pictures go with which chapters; personally I would have liked to see them while I was reading.
 This is a book anyone interested in Romanov history should read. ( )
  kmmoore | May 3, 2015 |

When Russia's last tsar, Nicholas II, inherited the throne in 1894, he was unprepared to do so. With their four daughters (including Anastasia) and only son, a hemophiliac, Nicholas and his reclusive wife, Alexandra, buried their heads in the sand, living a life of opulence as World War I raged outside their door and political unrest grew into the Russian Revolution. Deftly maneuvering between the lives of the Romanovs and the plight of Russia's peasants and urban workers--and their eventual uprising--Fleming offers up a fascinating portrait, complete with inserts featuring period photographs and compelling primary-source material that brings it all to life.

32 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,670,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible