A Loyal Character Dancer by Xiaolong Qiu

A Loyal Character Dancer (2002)

by Xiaolong Qiu

English (18)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (24)
Review pending ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 31, 2018 |
This is the second in Xiaolong's Detective Chen series, and you can see the difference--this second installment is much more balanced, so that the few things which got on my nerves in the first book, much as I loved it, have been dialed back in favor of a more involved mystery. It also builds on the characters, of course, in a way that makes me thinks it is a good idea to read this series in order more than might be necessary with some mystery/suspense series built around a detective. It did get more complicated than the first, to the extent that I almost wanted it to be a bit simpler, but I have a feeling that had more to do with my own distractions this week, and less to do with the book itself. All in all, I'm excited to read the next in the series, and wouldn't certainly recommend these books. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Oct 27, 2017 |
penoso caso di giallista che dopo un inizio folgorante (la compagna Guam) è già spompato al secondo libro. O forse è stato traviato dalle sirene del corrotto occidente? ( )
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
Synopsis: Once again Investigator Chen has to work around the bureaucracy to solve a murder and what appears to be a gangland kidnapping threat. Working with a woman from the US Marshal's office, he has to find a woman who is to meet her husband in the States so that he will testify about gang activity. There is also a killing near the Bund that may also be gang activity. Within all of this, his boss is trying to 'save face' with the Americans and to keep Chem from getting to close to the truth about how connected to gangs the politicos are.
Review: There are some slow places, but this book brings more action than the last and makes me wonder whether the main character will ever 'get the girl'. ( )
  DrLed | Jun 10, 2017 |
It turns out that I'm a big fan of the Inspector Chen series after two books. I like the way Qiu writes and I like the cast of characters that fill out the novels. Aside from Inspector Chen, I think my favorite character is Detective Yu. I found the plot of this book to be just as interesting as Death of a Red Heroine, especially in that the central character in both novels is a woman. I look forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  callmecayce | Jul 25, 2013 |
For Julia
Chief Inspector Chen Cao, of the Shanghai Police Bureau, found himself once again walking through the morning mist toward Bund Park.

Inspector Chen’s mentor in the Shanghai Police Bureau has assigned him to escort U.S. Marshal Catherine Rohn. Her mission is to bring Wen, the wife of a witness in an important criminal trial, to the United States. Inspector Rohn is already en route when Chen learns that Wen has unaccountably vanished from her village in Fujian. Or is this just what he is supposed to believe? Chen resents his role; he would rather investigate the triad killing in Shanghai’s beauteous Bund Park. But his boss insists that saving face with Inspector Rohn has priority. So Chen Cao, the ambitious son of a father who imbued him with Confucian precepts, must tread warily as he tries once again to be a good cop, a good man, and also a loyal Party member.

[retrieved 10/02/2013 from Amazon.com]

Assigned to help the wife of an important witness to reach the United States safely, U.S. marshal Catharine Rohn learns that the woman has vanished, while inspector Chen reluctantly assumes the task of saving face.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,467,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible