A Loyal Character Dancer by Xiaolong Qiu

A Loyal Character Dancer (2002)

by Xiaolong Qiu

4262024,790 (3.63)18

English (14)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (20)
It turns out that I'm a big fan of the Inspector Chen series after two books. I like the way Qiu writes and I like the cast of characters that fill out the novels. Aside from Inspector Chen, I think my favorite character is Detective Yu. I found the plot of this book to be just as interesting as Death of a Red Heroine, especially in that the central character in both novels is a woman. I look forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  callmecayce | Jul 25, 2013 |
All I can say is I'm totally hooked on Inspector Chen!! I love Qui Xiaolong's writing! ( )
  rayneofdarkness | Dec 24, 2012 |
this writer is very readable and gives an insight into Chinese life which is changing to adapt to modern living. ( )
  magentaflake | Feb 16, 2012 |
1st in this series that I've read and I doubt I will read another. It's not a *bad* book - Inspector Chen has to escort around an American Marshall whilst they look for the missing wife of a triad witness - it's just there was little tension to keep me engaged.

There was a nice attraction between Chen and Rohn, the descriptions of the food were interesting, some of the practicalities of living in post-Revolution China (especially when trying to present it to America) were interesting, the poetry was so-so (but I'm not a big poetry fan). However, considering the book is about triads, there seem to be little threat (the raid on the market seems to be the closest thing to threatening). The individuals who end up being questioned are not threatening and seem to easily manipulated and happy "to talk".

Overall an ok book but not one I'd follow up on
1 vote nordie | Oct 14, 2011 |
Anche questo libro di Qui e’ molto piacevole : e’ avvincente ed e’ ambientato in una cina che vuole avvicinarsi all'occidente ma cerca di non perdere le proprie tradizioni ed identità ( )
  mara4m | Jun 8, 2011 |
For Julia
Chief Inspector Chen Cao, of the Shanghai Police Bureau, found himself once again walking through the morning mist toward Bund Park.

Inspector Chen’s mentor in the Shanghai Police Bureau has assigned him to escort U.S. Marshal Catherine Rohn. Her mission is to bring Wen, the wife of a witness in an important criminal trial, to the United States. Inspector Rohn is already en route when Chen learns that Wen has unaccountably vanished from her village in Fujian. Or is this just what he is supposed to believe? Chen resents his role; he would rather investigate the triad killing in Shanghai’s beauteous Bund Park. But his boss insists that saving face with Inspector Rohn has priority. So Chen Cao, the ambitious son of a father who imbued him with Confucian precepts, must tread warily as he tries once again to be a good cop, a good man, and also a loyal Party member.

[retrieved 10/02/2013 from Amazon.com]

Assigned to help the wife of an important witness to reach the United States safely, U.S. marshal Catharine Rohn learns that the woman has vanished, while inspector Chen reluctantly assumes the task of saving face.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,143,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible