Above Suspicion by Lynda La Plante

Above Suspicion

by Lynda La Plante

4422023,705 (3.68)28

Had me captivated from the start. Found it to be an really good read ( )
  clairelajm | Nov 10, 2016 |
I'd give this 3.5 stars, just for holding my attention the way it did. There was no question about "who dunnit", but the characters were intriguing, and I look forward to the next installment from the "Prime Suspect" author. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Lynda La Plante has carved out an immensely successful career as a writer and producer of gritty television crime drams, such as 'Prime Suspect' and 'Trial and Retribution'. I had not, however, ever thought of her as a novelist, and was intrigued when I picked up this book in the local Oxfam shop.

She writes well, and, as might be expected from her mastery of the television format, she certainly knows how to capture and then hold the reader's attention. There isn't much in the way of purple prose, but she writes clearly and drive. Her character all seem plausible and her plot is soundly constructed.

The novel opens with Detective Chief Inspector Langton and Sergeant Anna Travis attending the recovery of the corpse of a young woman who had been murdered some five or six weeks previously. Langton is a slightly clichéd character - the hard-bitten senior officer who has seen it all while Travis is recently promoted, newly-appointed to the Murder Squad and desperately ambitious. We soon learn that her late father had been a well-respected superintendent, one of the old school.

Forensic investigations reveal that the corpse was the latest victim in a string of brutal sex crimes stretching back for several years. As the police follow up the meagre selection of leads one potential suspect emerges: Alan Daniels, a successful actor who, after securing a string of gradually larger television roles is now on the cusp of major stardom.

La Plante takes the reader through an intricate web of blind alleys, and Travis is an appealing protagonist - essentially sympathetic but not without her own flaws. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Mar 9, 2015 |
The first book in the Anna Travis series. It's twisty and dark; it's also very good. ( )
  DowntownLibrarian | Apr 24, 2013 |
This was not a bad read considering that you pretty much knew who the killer was right from the start - I think it's good writing to keep the reader interested for the remaining 2/3 while you get the killer to confess. I have all 6 In the Anna Travis series and am looking forward to reading the rest. ( )
  daystarzbooks | Jan 22, 2013 |
I dedicate this book to my son
Lorcan William Henry La Plante
Detective Chief Inspector Langton stared at the women's dead faces.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074327685X, Paperback)

In the footsteps of Jane Tennison, immortalized by Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect, comes Anna Travis, a rookie female detective about to embark on her first murder case. The murders couldn't be more gruesome. The method of killing is identical, the backgrounds of the girls very similar -- all are prostitutes. As the book opens, a seventh body is found, same modus operandi but the victim this time is a sweet young student. Anna stumbles on a vital piece of information that links one man to the killings, a well-known, much-loved actor. His protestation of innocence is convincing, and Anna might be succumbing to his flattering attention. What if he is arrested, the media erupts, and he is the wrong man?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:58 -0400)

Rookie homicide detective Anna Travis who, during her first case, tracks a serial killer who has transitioned from prostitute victims to innocent students, a murderer who may possibly be a famous actor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible