Death on Blackheath by Anne Perry

Death on Blackheath

by Anne Perry

Series: Charlotte and Thomas Pitt (29)

2191653,142 (3.68)16

Great! Twists and turns and the ending was meticulous. Loved her writing as always. She has such a way with words and phrases.

"Please do not steal any more corpses and put them in dramatic and important places," she said wryly. "There are other ways of attracting people's attention."
He gave a very little smile. "You must admit, there are very few that work as well!"

Loved Aunt Vespasia as always and love (!) the new turn there. Enjoy watching the Pitt children grow up and looking forward to seeing if anything happens with Stoker and Kitty. ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
This audiobook was fast-moving but the attraction is not in the action as much as the character studies author Ann Perry provides. Thomas and Charlotte Pitt are acquainted with many people in local law enforcement and government. When a crime is committed it is often involving one of their many acquaintances. The dilemmas they face often involve those people with government positions or people of high society. Perry is a master at holding the reader's interest as she digs deeper into the behavior of potential suspects. She also captures the essence of the times in which they live ( )
  mmignano11 | Apr 13, 2016 |
historical fiction (mystery).... charlotte and thomas pitt (#29)..."cozy"...British....19th century...Victorian era ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
Rather than restate the storyline I would rather tell you why I read the Anne Perry books. I enjoy the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series because of the ongoing characters. With each book the reoccurring characters develop a little more and relationships grow and or change. New characters add dimension to the overall book/story line. Ms. Perry's mysteries are for me enjoyable and stand alone. I need to end this because I have begun to ramble. I hope anyone that reads this and then one of her books will enjoy them half as much as I do. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Sep 25, 2015 |
I received this ARC from NetGalley. I'm a big Anne Perry fan. A friends suggestion to read The Cader Street Hangman, almost 20 years ago, engulfed me in Perry and led to a love for historical series. With Death on Blackheath -- I've enjoyed 29 books in her Charlotte & Thomas Pitt mystery series. Some of the novels have been better than others but I'm hooked and will be until Perry ends the series. I still find the stories compelling and all the characters are beloved old friends -- especially Lady Vespasia.

With Death on Blackheath, it's obvious that Perry promoting Thomas Pitt to head of Special Branch has refreshed the series, opened up character potential and added a deeper level of intrigue into the stories. I'm really looking forward to #30! ( )
  ddelmoni | Nov 5, 2014 |

Perry, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiGrado, KathleenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grimshaw, John AtkinsonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ileen Maisel
Pitt stood shivering on the steps leading up from the areaway to the pavement and looked down at the clumps of blood and hair at his feet.

Anne Perry’s superb New York Times bestselling novels set in the glorious reign of Victoria are loved by readers far and wide. Now, with this new Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mystery, Perry returns us to that charmed era, when wealth and power rule—but where, alas, poisonous corruption lies coiled in the heart of empire.

As commander of the powerful Special Branch, Thomas Pitt has the job of keeping Britain safe from spies and traitors. So there’s no obvious reason why he is suddenly ordered to investigate two minor incidents: the blood, hair, and shards of glass discovered outside the home of naval weapons expert Dudley Kynaston, and the simultaneous disappearance of Mrs. Kynaston’s beautiful lady’s maid.

But weeks later, when the mutilated body of an unidentified young woman is found near Kynaston’s home, Pitt realizes that this is no ordinary police investigation. Far from it. Is Kynaston—one of Britain’s most valuable scientists—leading a double life? Is Pitt saddled with a conspiracy so devilishly clever that it will ruin him?

A baffled Pitt has never needed his friends more desperately, including his indomitable wife, Charlotte; his canny old colleague Victor Narraway; and his personal drawing-room spy, Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould. But even these allies may not be able to save Pitt—or Britain.

Only Anne Perry could have created the tense unfolding of plot and counterplot, love and betrayal, scandal and murder that follows. Death on Blackheath is rich with fascinating characters, authentic period flavor, knife’s-edge suspense, and a haunting, unforgettable denouement.

Praise for Anne Perry’s most recent Charlotte and Thomas Pitt novels

Midnight at Marble Arch

“Sweeping and scandalous . . . Perry has perfected a delicate touch.”The New York Times Book Review

“Perry is a master at illuminating the wrongs of the Victorian age.”Booklist (starred review)

Dorchester Terrace

“The always clever Anne Perry infuses Dorchester Terrace with the right amount of intrigue and complex relationships that have made this prolific series one of the finest in modern mystery fiction.”Bookreporter

Treason at Lisson Grove

“Perry has always done her historical homework on the darker elements of the British ruling class, and she has outdone herself this time.”—The Washington Times

Buckingham Palace Gardens

“An intricate plot about a murder at the palace [with] an irresistibly appealing Upstairs, Downstairs perspective . . . a fine introduction to Perry’s alluring world of Victorian crime and intrigue.”The New York Times Book Review

“Another winner . . . a wonderful cast of characters with many twisting plots.”—Vero Beach Press Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:12 -0400)

Investigating evidence of a violent struggle at the home of Ministry of Defense member Dudley Kynaston, Pitt and the Special Branch discover the brutally murdered body of a young woman before realizing that Kynaston is not who he appears to be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible